2018 GMC Terrain 1.6L turbo-diesel, Whaaaat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
137hp and 240 lb-ft torque. What is the fuel economy on these? 2018 GMC Terrain. Engine seems weak. Better get crazy high MPG.

Probably doesn't get good mileage when at WOT in order to get "all that massive" HP and T when it's needed. Cruising around at cracked throttle then you don't need much HP/fuel ... typical with pretty much any engine.

GM used to source their diesels from Isuzu (showing my age...)

Do they manufacture their own now or do they still source them from a "partner"?

0-60 MPH in 9.7 seconds? Bet that would be unpleasant loading it up with passengers and cargo, and trying to merge onto a highway on a hot day with the A/C running.

She wants to go drive the one on sale. Will report back. Expect it might not be able to get out of it's own way.

Don't do it.
2019 RAV4 has a new tranny and gets 35MPG Hwy.
Diesel's are a sucker's bet these days,
due to fuel price and emissions requirements.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
GM used to source their diesels from Isuzu
(showing my age...)

Do they manufacture their own now or do they still source them from a "partner"?

And they were AWFUL!!!!!

Originally Posted by Dave Sherman
0-60 MPH in 9.7 seconds? Bet that would be unpleasant loading it up with passengers and cargo, and trying to merge onto a highway on a hot day with the A/C running.

0-60 does not have to do anything with merging.
Diesels due to higher torque, but lower hp are usually behind in 0-60 than their gasoline brothers. But where they excel in elasticity, and that is what ones need when merging on hwy.

With GM, I believe they are all designed, engineered and built in-house. Technology and proven designs are often shared ("borrowed") from partner companies (Holden, others?).

She wants to go drive the one on sale. Will report back. Expect it might not be able to get out of it's own way.

There's an '09 Forester in your sig.

The '09 Forester accelerates to 60 in...10 seconds

Is the RAV4 she's upgrading from the 4-banger?

With that said, the 2.5L in my Legacy accelerates to 60 around a second faster than the Terrain. I think ~9 seconds to 60 is more than adequate, though my DESIRE for a more powerful engine is definitely always present while driving the Legacy.

That's faster than my Jeep.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DGXR

With GM, I believe they are all designed, engineered and built in-house. Technology and proven designs are often shared ("borrowed") from partner companies (Holden, others?).

1.6 is definitely derived from Isuzu. Those are engines that OPEL was developing with Isuzu in Europe.
These GM diesels are bit better in the last 10-15 years. Before that, they were atrocity.

Since when is 0-60 under 10 seconds slow for a truck?

I think my 70 electra 455 was just a tad under 9 seconds.

That diesel engine makes Ford 4.3L V8 torque. You know early windsor SBF 260.

The 1.4t in my VW will rip the halfshafts out if you nail it in first or second. But, Stickshift
smile.gif

Just wait until Ford starts pushing their Romanian 3 banger EcoBoost engines. It's the trend.

Also, that three cylinder has CD so it runs on two cylinders at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back