Japan F-35 missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Japanese Defense Minister Takeshi Iwaya said, "At around 19:27 Tuesday, an F-35A from the Air Self-Defense Force Misawa air base lost radar contact 135 kilometers east of the coast during training."

The F-35 was jointly developed by the United States and eight other countries. Its stealth capabilities make it difficult to detect by radar.

I don't see the problem here...

Insensitive joke aside, I hope the pilot is okay.

Originally Posted by JustN89
Japanese Defense Minister Takeshi Iwaya said, "At around 19:27 Tuesday, an F-35A from the Air Self-Defense Force Misawa air base lost radar contact 135 kilometers east of the coast during training."

The F-35 was jointly developed by the United States and eight other countries. Its stealth capabilities make it difficult to detect by radar.

I don't see the problem here...

Insensitive joke aside, I hope the pilot is okay.

Relax, one entire airliner went Ghost-Mode some years ago & nobody got too excited about it.
(But that is a lot of technology to lose all at once.)

Last edited:
I heard the pilot was recovered and safe, but the plane was lost.

I can't find a recent enough article that mentions this, though.

Originally Posted by Linctex

That might be referring to a crash out of Kadena last year. I haven't seen anything yet on this situation.

quote:
"Japanese military officials lost sight of an F-35A stealth jet Tuesday and U.S. officials find no humor in the irony."

quote:
"Japanese military officials lost sight of an F-35A stealth jet Tuesday and U.S. officials find no humor in the irony."

Not sure where that is sourced from. Incidentally the lost fighter was from a group of four out on a exercise. They were traceable by Radar because they had an attachment on the fighter to make them visible. This attachment or device can be removed if they want true stealth.

As always, the news media is usually way off on their reporting. The so called "experts" will chime in with their blather.

Originally Posted by PimTac

That might be referring to a crash out of Kadena last year. I haven't seen anything yet on this situation.

The plane was lost out of northern Japan, Kadena is on Okinawa Shima south of japan.

Apparently the last transmission from the pilot of this aircraft was that he was breaking off from the training exercise. Nothing was said about any trouble. It appears that whatever happened it did so very quickly. So far no success in finding the pilot.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Hope they find him. Secondarily, I hope they manage to secure the wreckage so the wrong people don't get the right information.

Considering the temps of the ocean in that area, hope for survival is already beyond the time frame. I hope I am wrong.

What is not known is if the pilot ejected. Also, do these aircraft carry black boxes or similar?

Originally Posted by PimTac
What is not known is if the pilot ejected. Also, do these aircraft carry black boxes or similar?

I believe there is some kind of location signalling device on the ejection seat when the pilot ejects. Landing in the ocean is not ideal by far. I believe all modern fighter jets have a flight data recorder.

This probably brings home why the Japanese DF really didn't want the F-35 and really wanted an updated, twin engined aircraft like the F-22"J" Raptor. But the line would be hugely complex and expensive to reopen...

Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
This probably brings home why the Japanese DF really didn't want the F-35 and really wanted an updated, twin engined aircraft like the F-22"J" Raptor. But the line would be hugely complex and expensive to reopen...

F-22 was never considered for sales outside the US due to much secret technology. I guess they could make a "dumbed down" version, but since the program was cancelled many yeas ago it's a moot point now.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Nickdfresh

F-22 was never considered for sales outside the US due to much secret technology. I guess they could make a "dumbed down" version, but since the program was cancelled many yeas ago it's a moot point now.

Japan pretty much went all in on this aircraft probably due to the fact that Mitsubishi has a big hand in its construction. They are planning to use these planes on their new carriers that are upcoming as well as land based.

Here is the latest from NHK. It doesn't sound good for the pilot.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20190411_10/

From the article:

"The pilot of an F-35A fighter jet that crashed into the sea off northern Japan on Tuesday apparently had no time to eject before the crash.

Air Self-Defense Force officials say the F-35A stealth fighter is equipped with an emergency system that ejects pilots from the cockpit and allows them to parachute.

But the officials say they received no signals that the system was activated during the incident."

frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back