7.3 Powerstroke ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.
First post but long time lerker! Anyways I have a late 99 7.3 Powerstroke that has had the standard green coolant it's whole life (262,000 miles). I have checked the engine serial number and I'm safe to run elc. My question is I have access to Delo XLC for free which to my understanding is nitrate free (NF) and I was wondering if this would be ok to run. It has Detroit, Mercedes, and Cummins approval. It's say good for 6 years as I would never meet the mileage limit. Thanks

The 7.3's seemed to be just fine with standard green. I'm curious what you looked up via your SN to see that you were OK to use ELC type coolants?

Its been a long standing argument with all of us 6.0 PSD owners regarding which coolant to use. Of course the junk Ford gold that was used in them is still suspect to causing all of the EGR/Oil cooler woes. My truck (05 PSD) was flushed at low mileage and had the Rotella ELC put in and still has perfect oil temp deltas and tows in this Florida heat all the time. I'm a strong proponent of using real diesel rated coolants in the PSD. Regular green and others will suffer silicate dropout and cavitation if left in for any length of time.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
The 7.3's seemed to be just fine with standard green. I'm curious what you looked up via your SN to see that you were OK to use ELC type coolants?

Its been a long standing argument with all of us 6.0 PSD owners regarding which coolant to use. Of course the junk Ford gold that was used in them is still suspect to causing all of the EGR/Oil cooler woes. My truck (05 PSD) was flushed at low mileage and had the Rotella ELC put in and still has perfect oil temp deltas and tows in this Florida heat all the time. I'm a strong proponent of using real diesel rated coolants in the PSD. Regular green and others will suffer silicate dropout and cavitation if left in for any length of time.

How about the 6.7 PSDs? Isn't the spec for them Ford orange?

Originally Posted by Donald

Orange ford coolant is a very, very dangerous suggestion in a vehicle not specd for a 2hea coolant.

Originally Posted by Donald

Yes, a DexCool clone.
The OP's 7.3 has done fine on green, you could easily stay with that. Still easily obtained at farm type stores.
You could move to an ELC with no problem though and the nitrite free you mentioned is fine, because your 7.3 does not have cylinder liners.

Last edited:
My '03 7.3 had green in it when I got it. I flushed it out and have run Rotella Ultra ELC for almost 4 years now with no issues............not that I expected any. I think you're fine.

Thank you guys and the truck HAS been maintained and flushed with standard green it is not the original coolant in the truck FYI. Also from what I read they changed the type of sealant that's holds the injector cups in. The date of the change over was in February of 99' or serial number 940614 and later could use ELC from my research.

I recommend using Peak Final charge ELC. You won't get all the old coolant out unless you do a lot of flushing. Peak FC will mix with any type of remaining fluid and be fine and will not gel like some ELCs if it mixes with green.

I converted my 2000 PSD to Rotella ELC NF a year ago. It has worked flawlessly so far. I drained the entire system and flushed it 5 times with distilled water. Then added 5 gallons of Rotella ELC NF Concentrate and the. Topped off with more distilled water.

The NF ELCs are not CAT EC-1 so I was somewhat hesitant to use it. The label says it prevents cavitation which is what most are after when looking for the EC-1 certification. I can't recall now but I believe the NF coolants utilize molybdenum to fight cavitation and liner pitting vs nitrites used in the EC-1 rated coolants. Don't quote me on that though and do some research to see if it will fit your application.

I flushed my 2k F350 in 2004 5 times with distilled water, then added 4 gallons of Delo ELC. I have changed the coolant only 2 times since. The system holds 8 gallons of fluid. To get a near complete flush you must remove the coolant plugs on the very bottom of the motor, one each side near middle of motor. If you don't get near complete flushes, your ELC will be contaminated and it won't be ELC. Once you have flushed it though, you will never have to do it again, and you never have to check PH on ELC, that's one more benefit of ELC. Change it and don't look back!

Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
I flushed my 2k F350 in 2004 5 times with distilled water, then added 4 gallons of Delo ELC. I have changed the coolant only 2 times since. The system holds 8 gallons of fluid. To get a near complete flush you must remove the coolant plugs on the very bottom of the motor, one each side near middle of motor. If you don't get near complete flushes, your ELC will be contaminated and it won't be ELC. Once you have flushed it though, you will never have to do it again, and you never have to check PH on ELC, that's one more benefit of ELC. Change it and don't look back!

Exactly! I did a very thorough flush on my 05 PSD back years ago when I changed the oil cooler. Got that ford Gold junk out and put the Rotella ELC in. I haven't touched it in years and tow all over Florida and the south and my temps stay perfect, my hoses are all OEM and the coolant stays a nice, bright pink all the time.

We have many guys on the 6.0 PSD forums talking about the ELC coolants ruining hoses and causing corrosion and other issues but I sure as heck haven't seen it.

racin4ds,
My radiator hoses are OEM and 19 years old, 15 years exposed to ELC. I call BS on ELC causing corrosion. IH specs ELC for the 99 up 7.3L, and 03 up 6.0L. I'm a strong believer in IH specs, not Fords.

You can also go with Peak final charge and do a series of radiator drain and refills over time.The Peak ELC is compatible with other fluids. The amount of other fluids in there will simply compromise the life cycle of the ELC but its better than ELC causing gel when it mixes with other types of coolant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back