The case for quitting Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Facebook marketplace is cool. I sold all the stuff out of my old house in Austin in a week. Sold a bunch of car parts in San Antonio and didn't have a problem at all.

We post some photos to keep in touch with family out of state, and my wife uses the video conferencing to communicate with family.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by alarmguy
We are all a bunch of rodents, looking for attention and Facebook, Google and the others are making BOATLOADS of money selling all your private information and yes, even drawing up physiological profiles of you so they can get in your brain and know how to sell you products that you cant resist, even though they know why you are buying a product, you dont know, they know you better then you.

Think about it. :eek:)

I don't disagree with you at all. The problem is that the general dumb populous out there is feeding these data farms like a fatty at a buffet and doing it for free so they are ending up with the info anyways.
frown.gif

Anyone here who links to YouTube videos (Google) is feeding the beast. Admittedly I've done it a few times.

Originally Posted by JustinH
Facebook marketplace is cool. I sold all the stuff out of my old house in Austin in a week. Sold a bunch of car parts in San Antonio and didn't have a problem at all.

We post some photos to keep in touch with family out of state, and my wife uses the video conferencing to communicate with family.

Yeah my spouse sells a lot of stuff on Facebook Marketplace that is bought for less and resold. People are nuts for Funko / Pop stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
We are all a bunch of rodents, looking for attention and Facebook, Google and the others are making BOATLOADS of money selling all your private information and yes, even drawing up physiological profiles of you so they can get in your brain and know how to sell you products that you cant resist, even though they know why you are buying a product, you dont know, they know you better then you.

I don't disagree with you at all. The problem is that the general dumb populous out there is feeding these data farms like a fatty at a buffet and doing it for free so they are ending up with the info anyways.
frown.gif

Anyone here who links to YouTube videos (Google) is feeding the beast. Admittedly I've done it a few times.

Meh

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Facebook,where burned out middle aged hags who think they're still in high school make duckfaces thinking they're hot.

ooch ... how cruel you are :eek:)

frown.gif

Google is all things evil, blows my mind that only the 10% of the population know it and why the 10% always control the other 90%.
The 90% dont even know it even when its smack in their face. Ignorant people who choose to be that way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
People are sooo concerned about self promoting themselves on Facebook and other social media websites portraying a wonderful life.

Very true. It's not Facebook's fault.

frown.gif

Google is all things evil, blows my mind that only the 10% of the population know it and why the 10% always control the other 90%.
The 90% dont even know it even when its smack in their face. Ignorant people who choose to be that way.

Facebook provides a huge infrastructure and all those servers cost money. And it's free to use.

Don't want to use it, that's fine but not seeing the big deal that is upsetting to you.

I am on my second 30 day suspension from posting on Facebook. So, from now on I will only use it to see what my sons are up too...not spying, but they don't live at home anymore and it is nice to keep in touch.

And I will monitor the FB page for the town I live in. You get a lot of good intel that way.

Originally Posted by Brigadier
I am on my second 30 day suspension from posting on Facebook. So, from now on I will only use it to see what my sons are up too...not spying, but they don't live at home anymore and it is nice to keep in touch.

And I will monitor the FB page for the town I live in. You get a lot of good intel that way.

I've been in "Facebook Jail" before... Some folks are just "clutch-the-pearls" types... Whatever... I just use it to see pictures of my niece now and for messenger really and for jokes nothing more. No more personal info or pictures.

Last edited:
What are you guys posting on FB that is earning you suspensions?

I re-shared something that someone found offensive and they reported it to Facebook and I was told it didn't meet the community standards or whatever and I reposted it again thinking I was in the clear because someone else seemed to post it without issues and then next thing I knew I was logged out of my account. I logged back in and got a notice about it and then I could only read stuff and not post.

What I posted wasn't graphic or anything and contained no foul language but apparently re-sharing a meme calling out a religious figure on their hypocrisy and having someone complain about it is enough to get you temporarily banned.
smirk2.gif

Whatever... It's their nanny-ism that had me delete my previous account with lots of data for them to market to. Now my account is useless and contains no pictures of me & no marketable personal information.
As mentioned previously I just use the account to access pictures of my niece, keeping up with my friends/family that live far away, chat with people that only have messenger and for looking at jokes when I have some time to kill.

Last edited:
Whatever... It's their nanny-ism that had me delete my previous account with lots of data for them to market to. Now my account is useless and contains no pictures of me & no marketable personal information.

Remember, though, that **countless** web sites use their API for comments and, well, flat-out, plain-ol' user tracking. You very, very likely have their cookies and other tracking items on your computer and whenever you visit a site that uses the Facebook API Facebook'll know you were there, what you saw and what you typed.

I don't comment on sites and yes I understand what you mean. I also clear my cookies and internet sessions/history daily.
grin2.gif

Anytime there's more than one person involved in anything, there will eventually be friction and different viewpoints on behavioral conduct. Even on this chat board, and every chat board (which FB essentially is) on Earth. Even YouTube is crazy with how people comment and behave.

Facebook (and it's ilk) is is so popular because it is just a variation of an html-based web service that makes publishing on the Internet easy for anyone. The 2 problems with that are #1 - the only reason for it's existence was a scheme to monetize people's private information dreamed up by a dumbarse college kid. And #2 - allowing literally anyone uncontrolled into the public eye can and has had disastrous consequences. I've been complaining about it for years.

http://stuff.is-a-geek.net/wordpress/2018/02/07/eff-facebook/
http://stuff.is-a-geek.net/wordpress/2018/05/31/your-own-personal-echo-chamber/
http://stuff.is-a-geek.net/wordpress/2019/03/16/social-media-is-pretty-effed-up/
http://stuff.is-a-geek.net/wordpress/2019/04/07/why-is-facebook-still-around/

Our Government up here is actually looking to regulate it because they are worried about interference in the next election that is happening soon and also because of the growing hate groups and the problem it is starting to create here and Facebook is doing little about it.

That's as far as I will discuss government because it's a no-no here, but just to add to the discussion of the problems with Facebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back