Continental Elite or Regular Belt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2011 DTS will approach 100K miles by the end of the year. I was thinking about buying a serpentine belt when I find a good deal on it.

I've heard good things about the continental elite/goodyear gatorback belts. Is it worth paying more to get this kind of belt?

I actually have the continental elite for my water pump belt, but its a small one and isn't put through a lot of stress.

So far I don't have any pulley misalignment or noise. But I don't want to install a new Gates/Bando/Dayco belt and have it start squeaking.

since the move to epdm belts even the cheapest ones will go trouble free to 100k and beyond. Maybe certain vehicles are sensitive to slightly worn belts, but I haven't run across many. Buy the cheapest one and you can still forget about it for the next 8 years/100,000 miles

Can I ask why no dayco?

I've always used dayco (just threw 2 of them in my f150) and never any issues? Just dont know if I should be aware of something.

And hopefully not, I just had my first experience installing a stretch belt and I dont want to do that again any time soon lol

I have had good luck with them. They seem to be made of a softer material that is a lot quieter, but they last much longer.

Get the Elite belt, if you can still get one
smile.gif

Continental is phasing them out
mad.gif

But existing stock should still be available for now

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Get the Elite belt, if you can still get one
smile.gif

Continental is phasing them out
mad.gif

But existing stock should still be available for now

Yeah, the Elites are being phased out and replaced with the OE Tech belts. I've got one of these new ones on my '05 Taurus Vulcan. I was very hesitant to buy one, but it is a very stout and quiet belt. 100% recommend.

Living down here in Mexico City with a car that is hard to find parts even in the US (05 GTO which is actually a Holden) I stock up on consumable or parts that wear out. Since I also drive from Mexico City to Dallas, I always travels with a few tools and parts. I got 3 of the Continental Elite belts on amazon, and used 1 when I switched out my water pump. I really like these belts and they are great quality. I think you'll be OK with any high quality belt as long as your accessories are aligned and you dont use belt dressing or spill oil or coolant on them. IMHO broken belts are a rarity, especially with vehicles using electric fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back