Water in engine bay temporarily disabled Chevy truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
95 silverado k1500 tbi 5.7 went off-roading and went through this little puddle at a reasonable pace and enough water splashed underneath the hood to cause the engine to sputter out. attempting to restart it resulted in a crank no start. waited a few minutes for it to dry up and it started up no problem. i don't think it helped that last time i was working on my truck i forgot to put back the skid plate underneath where the belt is, but other than reinstalling that thing, what can i do to prevent this issue again? i suspect some sensor or part of the ignition system got too wet? any help appreciated.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Test by using a spray bottle to put some water on various ignition parts. You can't tell if the wires are bad by looking but if they short out when wet, replace.

Originally Posted by Throt
I had this happen in a car before, belt was slipping from getting wet.

That shouldn't stop it from starting though.

I like the notion that it might have been water in the cap. That or just wet plugs?

From the mud on the hood, it wasn't THAT reasonable! My vote is on cap, rotor, and or plug wires-wait for a damp, rainy night, start it, and replace everything that has a blue glow around it.

Originally Posted by dogememe
what can i do to prevent this issue again??

Try NOT driving thru huge puddles?!
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
did you put on a cold air intake or otherwise change the OE airbox.

K&N will do it too.

Rod

Thanks all for the suggestions, I get all the ignition parts wet and see if I can replicate it. And the intake system is stock, k&n is junk and would never be on my truck

high tension electrical. it's what WD-40 really shined at in the 80s. blast the dizzy inside the cap, screw it back on, go. agree - all plug wires/boots components can act up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back