Best Brake Rotor Manufacturer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what the best is. My last two rotor purchases were Wagner E Coated and Raybestos RPT/(E3) fully coated, both made in China. When it comes to rotor coo, I found this you tube video to be quite informative. It's a bit dated (2013) but I think the basic ideas and points still apply.

On my Jeep, gets the cheapest rotor on rock auto, and a half decent pad.

Camaro which see's track time, id go with something better but I do not have many options for the front. The rears Id buy a "name brand" thats hub is coated. Decent brands have better quality standards or should have
laugh.gif

Ive been using centric blanks on other peoples cars with no issues, Rotors are not as important than pads are imo. All your feel,initial bite..etc is from the pad.

Last edited:
A mechanic told me some rotors are cast in China with final machining done in the US. But I am not sure which rotors or if that is still the case.

One would hope the companies outsourcing to China and putting their name on the box would do quality control checking in the US. At least spot check.

Thank God , I do not live in the rust belt ! :)

So , I rarely purchase rotors . When I do , I internet cost compare and usually choose per cost and availability . And how quickly I need to install them .

I am an old man and drive like one . I do a fair amount of coasting .

My Wife drives some what more aggressively on the brakes .

Neither of us drive like it is / was the Indy 500 .

On FWD vehicles , my experience has been the brakes wear out twice as fast on the front , as the back . ( Same with tires . )

For friction material ( pad and / or shoes ) I buy cheap life time warrantied products . Then let the vendor replace / warranty them when they wear out .

Oh , by the way , if you do not drive with the rotors / drums metal to metal with the pads / shoes , it does wonders for rotor / drum life ! :)

Originally Posted by littlehulkster

Well, there's no reason why the Chinese couldn't make good rotors. They've put people in space, after all, compared to that manufacturing brake rotors is a pretty simple task. They also do just fine making the smartphone in your pocket and the computer on which you posted this, both of which are far more difficult to manufacture than a simple rotor. Especially when you consider a machine does most of the work, and the machine is going to perform just as well in Shanghai as it would in Detroit or Stuttgart. They just have to be contracted to do it, and the buyer has to ensure good QC. Besides, there's plenty of junk made right here in the USA, or in Germany or Japan or where ever.

A lot of people want to blame the Chinese manufacturer instead of the western buyer. If you got a bad set of Brembo rotors, blame Brembo for putting their name on bad rotors. There's a lot of Chinese rotors out there which are as good as anything.

Now, if you have an ethical or moral qualm with buying things made by exploited and mistreated workers in the developing world, I'm with you there. EBC is one option, OEM is another, although a lot of OEM stuff is made in China now too.

Preach! A voice of reason.

My experience with my 08 Accord:
Front
OE - At 16,800 miles, Refinish the front brake discs, and install new brake pads with V-springs (warranty)
AT - 84,325 miles, I put in Carquest Wearever Brake Rotor and Wagner ThermoQuiet QC787 pads
At - 114, 699 miles, after 30,157 miles and about 3 yrs on the after market pads and rotor, I feel pulsation.

Wearever and Wagner cost - $80.38
Honda Rotors and Pads - $268.72

Decision Decision....

Originally Posted by Tundragod
My experience with my 08 Accord:
Front
OE - At 16,800 miles, Refinish the front brake discs, and install new brake pads with V-springs (warranty)
AT - 84,325 miles, I put in Carquest Wearever Brake Rotor and Wagner ThermoQuiet QC787 pads
At - 114, 699 miles, after 30,157 miles and about 3 yrs on the after market pads and rotor, I feel pulsation.

Wearever and Wagner cost - $80.38
Honda Rotors and Pads - $268.72

Decision Decision....

The OE rotors were resurfaced using an on car lathe as last of that TSB. And those pads were updated to reduce the likelihood of developing pulsation.

If I had to guess, the aftermarket economy rotors were not machined very well and the Wagner pads were not well-tuned for the application.

A new pair of "premium" aftermarket rotors and dealer pads would likely give you the same lifespan as your earlier experience.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NewEnglander
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by NewEnglander
Originally Posted by clinebarger
Brembo replacement rotors are Chinese & not any better than Centric. They try to hide the country of origin. I bought Brembo rotors for my Avalon & only then did I find out the COO.

OEM rotors are probably your best bet....Unless you were unhappy with those?

THANK YOU for pointing this out. I suspected that was the case but was not sure.

I may review OEM...but I hear EBC is as good as can be?

Get Brembo. If not Brembo go with EBC. I have EBC on SIenna now. Light years better than OE Toyota.
I had EBC on other cars. Superb quality.

Thanks. I read up more on EBC and am impressed with what I see thus far. I could land matching rotors front and back along with pads in kit packages that saves a bit.

Question then becomes the "Greenstuff" or "Ultimax2"

Decisions, decisions...

Get greenstuff.
Greenstuff and Redstuff have very good cold bite. I have Greenstuff on Sienna and those pads and Toyota OE (Akebono) cannot go into same sentence.
I have Redstuff on Tiguan, and they provide bit more bite than VW OE, though VW OE are great quality, but why not.
I did have Yellow Stuff on VW CC and that is not that good for DD, Cold bite is not good, though when warmed up, they are very aggressive. But in city driving, not that good.

Brembo replacement rotors are Chinese & not any better than Centric. They try to hide the country of origin. I bought Brembo rotors for my Avalon & only then did I find out the COO.

Brembo makes rotors in numerous countries (including USA).
For European cars, they come from Italy. Chinese will be of same quality and are DEFINIATELY better than Toyota ones (or KIA ones). It is actually not any kind of an achievement to make rotor better than Toyota one, and those are not make in China.

These are NOT OE grade Brembo rotors!
Brembo makes some of the worlds finest brake components, The "race to the bottom" aftermarket replacements they are hawking is NOT that! My dial indicator told me so.....

Toyota installing marginal sized brakes on a heavy van is a whole other discussion.....OE Toyota rotors are pretty good for the most part.

So can you please enlighten us, since you obviously know what Brembo is using to make rotors, about difference between "Brembo grade" rotors and non "Brembo grade" rotors?
As for Toyota size rotors, size is not an issue on Toyota Sienna. Sienna for its size is very light (4,600lbs) which is not surprise when one sees how shallow that vehicle is. For that weight, rotors are OK. Problem is as rest of the car, quality!

I'm not happy with the DuraGos on my parent's Sienna. I'm chucking those in favor of Advics which are American-made with a set of the 2nd gen Toyota TCMC "value" pads.

Centric Premium 120s seem like a good buy, but I've had luck with most Chinese white-box. I used Italian or Mexican-made Brembo on my old car with good results, I'll never use Wagner pads on Japanese cars.

Brembo makes rotors in numerous countries (including USA).
For European cars, they come from Italy. Chinese will be of same quality and are DEFINIATELY better than Toyota ones (or KIA ones). It is actually not any kind of an achievement to make rotor better than Toyota one, and those are not make in China.

These are NOT OE grade Brembo rotors!
Brembo makes some of the worlds finest brake components, The "race to the bottom" aftermarket replacements they are hawking is NOT that! My dial indicator told me so.....

Toyota installing marginal sized brakes on a heavy van is a whole other discussion.....OE Toyota rotors are pretty good for the most part.

So can you please enlighten us, since you obviously know what Brembo is using to make rotors, about difference between "Brembo grade" rotors and non "Brembo grade" rotors?
As for Toyota size rotors, size is not an issue on Toyota Sienna. Sienna for its size is very light (4,600lbs) which is not surprise when one sees how shallow that vehicle is. For that weight, rotors are OK. Problem is as rest of the car, quality!

Cline is spot on, they are not the same OE Brembo as fitted by manufacturers. Some OE Brembo rotors are 1K ea and more in some cases. The Snap on flashlight you get at Costco for $10 has nothing to do with Snap on they sold the rights to use their brand, cheap Brembo rotors are a profit on the name product.

We're talking specifically for a Kia Rio here?

I'm not knocking it, but it is the lowest cost Kia you can buy correct? Have you poked around a Kia specific forum to see what they've had luck with there? There's no one size fits all in terms of what brand of brake parts are going to be best for your specific car. IMO, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

I just installed new rotors and pads on the rear of our 2016 Nissan Quest minivan @ 77K miles. The rear rotors are decent sized and vented, but the pads looks like something off a bicycle they're so tiny. I did one pad slap at around 45-50K miles and swapped pads and rotors this time. The white box chinese specials I mail-ordered were ~$49 for the pair or rotors and the pad kit shipped. I did it to try it. I was surprised at how nice the rotors actually were. Perfect fit. Super nice casting, machining and cross-hatching. I didn't check them with a dial indicator, but they're smooth, silent and perform perfectly so far. My point is, I got lucky. Rotor and pad kits from this same seller are more like $100 for most make/models. Why this one was so cheap was probably a supply/demand thing.

Last edited:
Cline is spot on, they are not the same OE Brembo as fitted by manufacturers. Some OE Brembo rotors are 1K ea and more in some cases. The Snap on flashlight you get at Costco for $10 has nothing to do with Snap on they sold the rights to use their brand, cheap Brembo rotors are a profit on the name product.

No he is not on spot. Brembo was making forever their rotors that go strictly as OE fitment on Porsche 911, BMW M etc. Brembo was making FOREVER their sport rotors that are upgrade for some regular cars (regular BMW, VW, Audi, etc). And Brembo was making FOREVER regular rotors for regular applications that just happen to be of really good quality since theya re coming from Brembo.
I have Brembo regular rotors on VW Tiguan Made in Italy. Tell me how they differ from regular Brembo rotors Made in China? or Made in Poland? or Made in Mexico? or Made in USA? Does this mean that Made in USA are of worse quality than Made in Italy?

No he is not on spot. Brembo was making forever their rotors that go strictly as OE fitment on Porsche 911, BMW M etc. Brembo was making FOREVER their sport rotors that are upgrade for some regular cars (regular BMW, VW, Audi, etc). And Brembo was making FOREVER regular rotors for regular applications that just happen to be of really good quality since theya re coming from Brembo.
I have Brembo regular rotors on VW Tiguan Made in Italy. Tell me how they differ from regular Brembo rotors Made in China? or Made in Poland? or Made in Mexico? or Made in USA? Does this mean that Made in USA are of worse quality than Made in Italy?

Most of these larger auto parts manufacturers have two lines of products - one for OE, and one for aftermarket. They almost always use different production lines and sometimes the two engineering groups are separate from each other.

It is safe to say that there will be differences (whether major or minor) between any company's OE line and aftermarket line.

Originally Posted by The Critic

Most of these larger auto parts manufacturers have two lines of products - one for OE, and one for aftermarket. They almost always use different production lines and sometimes the two engineering groups are separate from each other.

It is safe to say that there will be differences (whether major or minor) between any company's OE line and aftermarket line.

Companies OE line, in this case for Brembo, will never make OE product for KIA Rio. If Brembo makes product for KIA, let's say Stinger, that will be seriously expensive product.
I said that in my post. Brembo became famous for making superb brakes for super sports cars. But their aftermarket products are also of superb quality, and same line of product will have same quality, whether that is made in US or China or Italy.
ATE makes rotors in China, TMD, biggest brake component company in the world, makes products in China. Does that meant that Textar rotor Made in China is of different quality from Textar rotor of same line up that is Made In Germany? Hardly.

Originally Posted by The Critic

Companies OE line, in this case for Brembo, will never make OE product for KIA Rio. If Brembo makes product for KIA, let's say Stinger, that will be seriously expensive product.
I said that in my post. Brembo became famous for making superb brakes for super sports cars. But their aftermarket products are also of superb quality, and same line of product will have same quality, whether that is made in US or China or Italy.
ATE makes rotors in China, TMD, biggest brake component company in the world, makes products in China. Does that meant that Textar rotor Made in China is of different quality from Textar rotor of same line up that is Made In Germany? Hardly.

So edyvw what rotors use on your cars ?

Companies OE line, in this case for Brembo, will never make OE product for KIA Rio...

Exactly my point above.

I don't know for sure that Brembo doesn't make brake parts for the Rio, but comparing what's available for a Mercedes or a Honda Accord to what's available for a Kia Rio is apples to oranges.

So edyvw what rotors use on your cars ?

Tiguan: Brembo/EBC Redstuff pads.
Sienna: EBC/Greenstuff pads (Brembo unfortunately does not make rotors for Sienna). Though, making rotor of better quality than Toyota OE is hardly achievement.
I have already mentioned this.

Originally Posted by JTK

Companies OE line, in this case for Brembo, will never make OE product for KIA Rio...

Exactly my point above.

I don't know for sure that Brembo doesn't make brake parts for the Rio, but comparing what's available for a Mercedes or a Honda Accord to what's available for a Kia Rio is apples to oranges.

Brembo will not make OE product for KIA Rio as other, cheaper and closer suppliers are available. Hypothetically if Brembo makes product for KIA Rio, it will not be one like on BMW M, or Porsche 911. That does not mean product is not of highest quality.
Brembo makes various aftermarket rotors, some for BMW M, Ferrari, Lamborghini, some for VW Golf, and they have most definitely different characteristics.
I have Brembo Made in Italy on my VW Tiguan. Do you think they are same as Brembo on BMW M2 competition?
Brembo makes products that are of similar, or same or higher quality as products available from ATE or Textar, regular aftermarket products. Bu Brembo name guarantees that rotor will not warp in 10k, or vibrate when you hit pot hole full of water with hot rotor etc. or will sustain higher temperatures than let's say these mediocre rotors such as Wagner, Duralast etc.
By the way, Accord will never have rotors of same quality as Mercedes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back