UVA surprising run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to say quite a surprising run that UVa made to win the NCAA basketball championship... After losing last year to a #16 seed UMBC... This team showed a never quit attitude in every circumstance. Very impressive.

Ohh and a little history here... The NCAA almost got rid of #16 seeds because all the games were total blowouts... Until Princeton almost beat #1 seeded Georgetown with Alonzo Mourning on that team... I believe a 50-49 win by Georgetown... With Princeton having the ball at the end of regulation to win it... After that really close game the NCAA decided to keep the tournament at 64 teams and obviously #16 seeds...

Last edited:
According to the analytics UVA was one of the best teams this year, so them winning in the end isn't surprising.

However this was as unimpressive a tournament run as I can remember. They won two games (vs. Purdue and Auburn) that they probably lose 95% of the time if you replay the last 10 seconds and barely eeked out the title game with the help of a couple terrible calls in OT. They benefited from upsets in every round playing 9, 12, 3, 5, and a 3 seed - no games against a 1 or 2. Compare that to what

jeff

Off topic: I saw UVA and thought "why is there a thread on UVA radiation???"

My wife would be laughing at me if she read this.

Not a Virginia fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I do respect Tony Bennett and his program. All those close nail-biters are just an extension of playing in the ACC all year long. To play the teams UVA did this season with only 3 losses ..... they should be standing on top. Congrats to the Hoos and see you next year in the ACC!

Originally Posted by Egg_Head
I tip my hat to the Wahoos, now what was that team that beat them twice this year?

Duke beat them twice, and beat Texas Tech once during the regular season.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Have to say quite a surprising run that UVa made to win the NCAA basketball championship... After losing last year to a #16 seed UMBC... This team showed a never quit attitude in every circumstance. Very impressive.

Ohh and a little history here... The NCAA almost got rid of #16 seeds because all the games were total blowouts... Until Princeton almost beat #1 seeded Georgetown with Alonzo Mourning on that team... I believe a 50-49 win by Georgetown... With Princeton having the ball at the end of regulation to win it... After that really close game the NCAA decided to keep the tournament at 64 teams and obviously #16 seeds...

I recall the days before they expanded to 64 teams, maybe half that number. The NIT was a much bigger deal back then since some very good and popular teams that just missed the NCAA tourney were in the NIT.

Congrats to the Cavs and their fans. Can't say I'm especially enamored with thier style of play, however that's just a preference thing. Tony Bennett is class act and after last year the word redemption appropriate. Lastly as proven by UVA, in a single elimination tourney, got to have luck on your side too. Cavs certainly had that.

Originally Posted by Egg_Head
I tip my hat to the Wahoos, now what was that team that beat them twice this year?

And the other loss was to Florida State in the ACC tournament. FSU beat them handily keeping a 10 point lead throughout the game. That was Virginia's last loss. UVA had been the top defensive team in the country for about 7 of the last 8 years and was #2 that one year.

So glad that none of the "usual" teams were in the Final Four this year....such as Duke, Kentucky, Villanova, Georgetown, Kansas, Arizona.... no where to be found.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Auburn was robbed by the referee

The refs did miss the double dribble that was deflected off of Ty Jerome's leg at the end of the Auburn game. So did the announcers, the fans in the seats and you and me. I've been a college basketball fan all my life and had never seen a deflection off of an offensive player handling the ball called as a double dribble when the player picks up the ball in that situation and continues to dribble. The announcers didn't mention it at the time it happened and as Grant Hill mentioned afterwards that the play is so rare it's no wonder the officials missed it. On to UVA's last shot that Kyle Guy missed and was fouled on the 3 point attempt. Guy was clearly fouled with less than a second on the clock and had to make 3 free throws for the win even after being iced between the foul shots on live TV with 22,000 screaming fans. There were many missed calls in this tournament and hated to see the Auburn players and fans lose in such a heartbreaking loss, but UVA persevered after the 16 seed UMBC knocked them out last year as a number 1 seed. Tony Bennett and his players are a class act, so congratulations to the Wahooos for winning the national championship!

Originally Posted by gman2304
There were many missed calls in this tournament

Like the no call at the end of the game between Duke and Michigan State. Spartan player rebounded the ball, and clearly stepped on the side line out of bounds line. Referee was standing right there with a clear view, but did not call it. The game hosts were talking about it, and said they missed the call. Plays like that can not be reviewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back