Anyone get frustrated when someone drives scared ahead

Only when I'm trying to merge onto a highway with them in front of me going 30mph, or when they completely stop when trying to merge onto the highway. Sure, some of the onramps here suck, but still... Complete stop + slow acceleration is not good.

I have an issue with the people doing 45 in a 55 for no reason. Every night I've gone home that way, I've gotten behind some knucklehead doing just that. Road is dry, yeah it's 4am but it's a relatively well lit area, road couldn't be straighter, and it was redone a few years ago so it's still nice and smooth.

But god forbid you pass them... they'll start flashing their brights, honking, throwing middle fingers...
smirk2.gif

Benzadmiral, it is very nerve racking for me driving in New Orleans lol, its nothing for my cousin who has lived there for 5 years.

I live an hour south of New Orleans, one way in, one way out, two lane roads, "down the bayou". Yet there are still people who have been living here their whole lives who drive way under the speed limit, which is 45 on the "front road" and 65 on the "backroad". For those of you familiar with the area, the front road is LA-1 and LA-308 while LA3235 is the backroad, which both lead to Grand Isle and Fourchon. Youre safe driving 5 mph over anywhere down here, except in Golden Meadow of course, 30 mph is strictly enforced. You can, and I regularly do, drive 60 in a 45 on LA 308 and parish cops wont bat an eye but state troopers will be quick to turn their car around. Out of towners usually drive extremely slow in the 45 mph area despite their being an abundance of 45 mph signs, yet they speed through Golden Meadow and wonder why they get stopped and given a ticket. Ahh, life on the bayou.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
I have an issue with the people doing 45 in a 55 for no reason. Every night I've gone home that way, I've gotten behind some knucklehead doing just that. Road is dry, yeah it's 4am but it's a relatively well lit area, road couldn't be straighter, and it was redone a few years ago so it's still nice and smooth.

But god forbid you pass them... they'll start flashing their brights, honking, throwing middle fingers...
smirk2.gif

I do remember the lower nighttime speed limit on the Overseas Highway across the Florida Keys.

[Linked Image]

I also remember going to some nighttime program at a national park. At the end of the presentation the ranger was telling everyone that he recommended going 10 MPH under the speed limit to reduce the chances of hitting wildlife.

However, what I experienced was maybe 8 PM on well-lit city streets. I was going to through a thoroughfare and not side streets. And it seemed like this was just the way these drivers handled entering intersection - by slowing down at every single one, then crawling well under the speed limit.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by y_p_w
I've occasional seen drivers where I wonder if they really shouldn't have their driver licenses revoked.

My experiences would say about 1/4 the drivers on the road should be riding the bus instead of driving.
eek.gif

Only a 1/4?

As I drive closer to the big city it goes up to 1/3 or maybe 1/2 on a bad day.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by mobilaltima
Benzadmiral, it is very nerve racking for me driving in New Orleans lol, its nothing for my cousin who has lived there for 5 years.

I live an hour south of New Orleans, one way in, one way out, two lane roads, "down the bayou". Yet there are still people who have been living here their whole lives who drive way under the speed limit, which is 45 on the "front road" and 65 on the "backroad". For those of you familiar with the area, the front road is LA-1 and LA-308 while LA3235 is the backroad, which both lead to Grand Isle and Fourchon. Youre safe driving 5 mph over anywhere down here, except in Golden Meadow of course, 30 mph is strictly enforced. You can, and I regularly do, drive 60 in a 45 on LA 308 and parish cops wont bat an eye but state troopers will be quick to turn their car around. Out of towners usually drive extremely slow in the 45 mph area despite their being an abundance of 45 mph signs, yet they speed through Golden Meadow and wonder why they get stopped and given a ticket. Ahh, life on the bayou.

I do slow down when I enter towns -- I expect to see a 35 mph sign, or even 30 or 25 all within a short space, and I drop my speed accordingly. In the right lane, of course. Traffic "enforcement" (i.e., "catch a driver doing 5 over") is a revenue generator for these communities, and I don't want any tickets.

Are LA 1, 3235, and 308 properly, smoothly paved? To give you an idea, I think U.S. 90 leaving Westwego and running toward Houma and Thibodaux to be a properly paved highway.

Driving in El Paso stresses me out.

All the speed limits are too low to begin with, and people drive 5 to 10 under in all 3 lanes.

And all the lights are on timers. Makes my blood boil.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Driving in El Paso stresses me out.

All the speed limits are too low to begin with, and people drive 5 to 10 under in all 3 lanes.

And all the lights are on timers. Makes my blood boil.

Hehehe.

4 lanes of traffic (on one side).
35 mph speed posted.
I start at green light, go 35, i look in my mirror and....
4 lanes of traffic are 1/4-1/2 miles behind me.
me = ????

...I was driving a Yaris

Originally Posted by y_p_w
Tonight I was taking a road home where I encountered two drivers who were just infuriating to be behind. It was only one lane in each direction, and this guy was driving less than 20 MPH with nothing ahead, and even slowed down to less than 15 MPH at every intersection, including at green lights and when there was no stop signs in our direction (but stop signs in the perpendicular directions). I thought that would be it, but I got stuck behind another driver doing basically the same thing. Drive at a crawl, then at every intersection slow down even without any pedestrians or even vehicle lights.

Also - this morning I stopped at a stop sign where there was someone crossing at an intersection. I then proceed when the pedestrian is well past me. Then I hear a honk, and right a stop sign there's someone who started moving with that pedestrian right in front of his car. He of course stopped after hearing the honk, but I'm not sure he wouldn't have just plowed into her without warning. I gave him a staredown as I drove by him. I've occasional seen drivers where I wonder if they really shouldn't have their driver licenses revoked.

Experienced this 2 times this Friday.

Brand new Nissan Rogue, with gray hair behind the wheel.
The line of cars became 20+ (That I could see).
The truck behind me was a County Marshall.
He took a left as soon as possible. I think a bit quicker than usual may I say....

P.S. Crazy question: Why do elderly people baby their sport cars? I'm not saying 90 in a 35, but what is wrong with brisk up to posted speed and maintained there please?

If you don't know where you are going, pull over and figure it out. Don't let the GPS drive for you. Take responsibility for reaching your destination.
If you can't read the road signs, you are a safety hazard. Get another driver or take a cab/uber/bus/rickshaw. Then learn the native language.
If you are unable to drive with the flow of traffic, you are a nuisance. Get another driver or take a cab/uber/bus/rickshaw.
If you are always nervous behind the wheel, you are a nuisance and a safety hazard. Get another driver or take a cab/uber/bus/rickshaw.
If you have mental/attention issues and are unable to drive safely, just take a cab/uber/bus/rickshaw so the rest of us don't have to die for you.
If you are able but unwilling to pay attention behind the wheel, but keep driving because "it won't happen to you," then you are a piece of garbage who will
eventually hurt or kill an innocent person and we all will suffer greatly for it. So knock it off while there is still time.

Driving is the most dangerous thing that most of us will do on any given day, but so few bother to give it due attention... until it's too late.

Getting frustrated puts you in a disadvantage and a more dangerous position. Your focus changes and you might miss something happening from another direction

Stay focused on your own driving b

Originally Posted by edyvw
Toyota or Subaru?

Umm, no.
More typically BMW or Mercedes.

Here, if you can catch sight of the car that's leading the pack and holding everyone up, it's going to be a Corolla, Camry, or CR-V. Bet on it, and count your money.

Originally Posted by MCompact
The people who drive me nuts are the ones who take corners at 50% of the posted advisory speed- riding their brakes the entire time. They need a crate of bus tokens instead of a drivers license.

Worse than these drivers are the ones that come to a nearly complete stop when making a right hand turn (no one in front of them), and even worse yet are the drivers that stop on an expressway entrance ramp (these drivers need to have their driver's licenses taken away on the spot). Also, the left-foot-brake drivers that go down a straight level road with no one in front of them, their brake lights coming on every time they take their foot off of the gas, infuriate me. Then there are the morons that ride in the left lane of an Interstate, under the speed limit, with a long line of vehicles behind them and a clear lane in front of them, vehicles passing them on the right, going right by signs posted every few miles that say "Left Lane For Passing Only".

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
Here, if you can catch sight of the car that's leading the pack and holding everyone up, it's going to be a Corolla, Camry, or CR-V. Bet on it, and count your money.

Typically with an Asian driver, usually an Asian female (in my part of Texas anyway, and also in California from what I'm told). They are also the number one offenders of the bad driving habits I listed above. Around here, Corollas and Camrys are the number one and number two cars owned by Asians. There is an Asian church near where I live. On Sunday mornings, the church's parking lot looks like a Toyota dealer used car lot.
In addition to the bad habits that I listed above are the drivers that put on the brakes and slow way down to make a lane change.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Originally Posted by Bud
People in my area get very frustrated if you are driving the speed limit. That makes you a slow driver.

The posted number of the "speed limit" signs back in the day were supposed to be the maximum speed allowed. Over time, they have turned into the bare minimum acceptable speed. At least 15 over the minimum is preferred, 25 over is generally acceptable if you are not weaving in and out of traffic on multi lane roads.

The 25MPH speed limit signs in New York City are a practical joke for the benefit of out of towners. Skateboarders, scooters, bicycles and fast joggers go at least that fast.

Also note that in New York City, red lights mean that you should exercise caution when gunning through the intersection. Green light means shut your eyes and step on the gas as you go through.

Its a shame they do not teach these new rules to the new drivers in town who are learning about our traffic laws, it would solve a lot of the confusion out on the roads in my city.

There is no such thing as speed limits anymore. People drive as fast as they want because they know there will be no consequences for doing it. Our roads have become a free-for-all and if you drive the speed limit you will get tailgated, or maybe even run off the road...

Originally Posted by grampi

There is no such thing as speed limits anymore. People drive as fast as they want because they know there will be no consequences for doing it. Our roads have become a free-for-all and if you drive the speed limit you will get tailgated, or maybe even run off the road...

I hear you. Yesterday, in the STL metro. Just after crossing the PSB which is it's own special challenge, I was in the left lane about 10MPH faster than the traffic on the right, which may be 5-10 over the limit when someone comes up behind me. I signal my lane change to the right so they know I'm aware they are 10 microns off my back bumper. I start to get over at the same time they did and they give me the one finger wave. I mean really? Of course, I've signaled my intention, they haven't. I barely have a safe distance in front of the car just passed, again they didn't.

Instead of passing me on the left, he went one more lane to the right and passed me there, giving the gesture, and motoring up to the next car at a high rate of speed, only to slam on his brakes.

I'm certainly not driving scared at 10-15 MPH over the limit.

But some people just don't help themselves.

Maybe he was too close to see my lane change signal, LOL

Originally Posted by Bud
People in my area get very frustrated if you are driving the speed limit. That makes you a slow driver.

Here if you drive 10 over your slow and someone is up your behind so far you cannot see their headlights. No joke there was a family fatality from a head on because on a two lane highway driving 76 in a 65 was not fast enough for the car attempting to pass.

Originally Posted by jsfalls
The new theme here seems to be driving slower in the left lane, then when they finally do move over they speed way up so nobody can pass .....

This. Luckily around here it's always someone in an appliance vehicle, so I fly right by them as I hear their little 4 popper with a CVT screaming.

Back