2018 Toyota Camry XSE, Toyota 0W-16, 8,630 miles

This sample was taken from a friend's car. The first oil change on this car was at ~10K (under ToyotaCare) and the second one was at 21K also under ToyotaCare, so both oil changes were done using Toyota 0W-16. Driving conditions consist of highway and stop-and-go traffic.

I refilled with Mobil 1 0W-16 and a Denso 90915-10009 (Made in China) oil filter.

Note: this is the Toyota 2.5L "Dynamic Force" four-cylinder engine. It is both direct-injected and port-injected.
https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-toyotas-new-dynamic-force-engine-is-engineere-1824090404

0w16 UOA.PNG

Last edited:
The fuel dilution is pretty low considering the miles on this oil. It looks like it held up well.

I'm not sure but you might be the first 0w16 uoa here.

Originally Posted by Gubkin
Much copper
5w-30 dexos1 or A5/B5 or 913-D should be use ))

It has an oil cooler so most likely the copper is from that. The Engine is also still new so it will take a while for this to flush out.

Last edited:
OP, thank you very much for an historic UOA !
You do know you're touching the third rail ?
grin.gif

Thickies stand down.

The next threshold is a longer OCI with the high PAO Mobil 1 0W16.
This is an entirely different design than TGMO 0W16.

I used Ravenol 0W16 in a hybrid,
when that first came to the NA market.
There was no testing done but it worked fine.
It is pricey and calls for extended OCI's.
High PAO & 200+ ppm of Trimer Moly (twice the M1 dosage),
was in the German recipe.

I am seeing PP 0W16
and EDGE Black Bottle 0W16
at Pep Boys,
for an arm and a leg.

Wow, thanks for the uoa critic. I wonder if 0w-16 needs all that moly due to the thinner oil film.

Thanks for the UOA. I never would have guessed that this oil would have anywhere near that much molybdenum. It is tempting to use it as a blend with M1 15W-50 to get a desired higher viscosity at 100 C that has much more molybdenum than M1 xW-20 and xW-30 oils do.

Originally Posted by JAG
Thanks for the UOA. I never would have guessed that this oil would have anywhere near that much molybdenum. It is tempting to use it as a blend with M1 15W-50 to get a desired higher viscosity at 100 C that has much more molybdenum than M1 xW-20 and xW-30 oils do.

I have some M1 0W-16 leftover from the oil change. When my Wix sample kits arrive I will send some in for a VOA.

That's an interesting article. I just picked an SXE up a month ago used with around 4500 miles on it so I could unload my Sonata while it still 🤬 was worth more than a rolling dumpster. Nice car that Camray the bells and whistles like the drive assist . The car sees the road lines and squawks if you are wandering. Wander too far and the wheel jerks a bit and the car sort of drifts back in line. Lock the radar 100 yard range , on another car with cruise set faster and it will just pace it. If the car stops the Camray does too It's actually pretty neat and of course you can decide to use it or not.
The radio and Mac are a real bust. It essentially uses your cell phone it's apps. Radio much the same, When it comes to GPS I just use my Garmin as it at least gives you the speed limits. Not impressed at all!
These cars are noteworthy for a computer tranny shift issue. People seem to hate them they say. That may be why I could pick up mine used at a dealer with 4500 miles. Toyota did come up with a flash fix to tame the ugly 8 speed (earlier ones are 6). I think mines had it as in 2500 miles it only once did a big jerking downshift. I think I accelerated just right and tricked it that one time but never since.
Power, not bad. They say the 2.5 Camray is something of a dogmatic previous years but this one seems ok. No racer but plenty for traffic. Just be expecting the hard downshifts but it's not bad. It does like to use that tranny to accelerate quickly though. Mine is getting 29.2 MPG shown on the dash right now. When it was at the dealer in Florida it had 29.4. Flying along through the Carolinas 85MPH it was showing about that more or less continually. Roaming the Fla. traffic mess it still held 29+- Where they get 32MPG in the documentation I have no idea. My Sonata never got over 28 either for that matter and was serving to be hanging more around 25 lately ( not winter gas either). That's what made me finally decide to send it packing.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by JAG

I have some M1 0W-16 leftover from the oil change. When my Wix sample kits arrive I will send some in for a VOA.

That will be interesting. I just realized that I misread your original post and thought this was a M1 0W-16 UOA. So I take back what I said about being surprised by the formulation and about my desire to mix it with another oil.

Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
I'm waiting for PQIA to do a round of tests....

If they haven't already done those tests how does this oil ever get certifications?

Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
I'm waiting for PQIA to do a round of tests....

Same. I would like to see the PQIA on the Mobil 1 AFE 0w-16.

Back