Timing chain

Car is 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2L turbo, interference DOHC 4 cylinder engine.

So at 97k my timing chain is worn enough that there is a half inch deflection at midpoint between the cams. Got all new OE parts for the timing chain and the oil pump chain. There is an improved chain part but you have to order the BK2 +2013 chain. I got the old chain because of the part number confusion. So it is. And I'm ready to install after getting every thin cleaned up and a new crank seal on the timing cover.

So ready to put on chain as said in the manual. Crank at TDC (white spot on chain sprocket straight down) and the two cams generally lined up with the small line even with the head (nice cast mark on the head to line it up with).

Then manual says install tensioner guide (not tensioner, it's last). Then put chain on crank sprocket with the chain link matching up with white dot. Then up to the intake cam. I had to turn the cam slightly to get the chain in the right spot. Then on to the exhaust cam, had to turn it too a bit the cam there too. Then put the tensioner on. Then put the fixed right side guide on. But check again as the crank sprocket will have some chain slack before the tensioner is let loose. May have to hold the chain on the correct spot at the crank sprocket before pulling tensioner pin.

I then dumped a couple quarts of oil in the pan so the oil pump would prime as I hand turned it.

Then the manual says 2 complete revolutions of the crankshaft in a clockwise direction and the marks should all line up. No way. So I tried 4 revolutions still no way. I have to do 20 revolutions to get the marks to match up again.

It all spins free by hand. Am I good to go?

If you turn it over again twice by hand does it all line up again or does it go out of sync?

Last edited:
I've gone through it 4 times at 20 revolution each and they line up each time.

Originally Posted by SHOZ
I've gone through it 4 times at 20 revolution each and they line up each time.

What's 20 revolutions? One sprocket or the whole chain going around fully?

There's no way 2 revolutions will get the marks lined up. Maybe they left a 0 off the 2 and it should be 20? Would not be the first mistake I've found in the factory service manual.

Originally Posted by SHOZ
20 complete 360 degree revolutions of the crankshaft.

Yes then you are good. 360 and it aligns back up perfectly that's what you are looking for.

Last edited:
That's what I figured. Must have been something lost in translation
smile.gif

This is how I installed it and after the 20 cranks it's all matched up again.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Just to be clear, like with a timing belt the marks on the sprocket should line up with the marks on the head after 2 revolutions, not the marks on the chain.

The marks on the chain aid to set timing during installation. It is normal for them to go out of wack after 2 rotations of the crank. You should however notice the marks on the sprockets return to their correct location, relative to the engine, every two rotations of the crank. The colored links are unnecessary but speed things up. Older chains didn't have any.

That is normal. After two revolutions, the marks on the crank gear and the cam sprockets will line up with the marks on the engine....if there are any.

It may take 20 revolutions or more for the dots on the cam sprocket and the crank sprocket to line up with the colored links on the chain.

If it passes both tests, you are good to go.

edit: I am not too familiar with these engines, but I assume that the FSM does not specify using any special timing tools?

Last edited:
As others have said 2 Revolutions will put the marks on the cams and crank in the correct position for checking, it doesn't matter where the marks on the chain are that is just an installation aid.

Op, yeah I just didn't understand what was turning and how many times. Maybe I read it wrong, sorry if I added to your confusion.

And thanks for the pictures... I have not seen the inside of this particular engine.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
I guess the manual was talking about the cam and crank marks, not the special links. They do line up with two revolutions. To get it all back to the way it was when installed is 20 turns.

Originally Posted by The Critic
That is normal. After two revolutions, the marks on the crank gear and the cam sprockets will line up with the marks on the engine....if there are any.

It may take 20 revolutions or more for the dots on the cam sprocket and the crank sprocket to line up with the colored links on the chain.

If it passes both tests, you are good to go.

edit: I am not too familiar with these engines, but I assume that the FSM does not specify using any special timing tools?

No special tools just reference marks.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
Isn't there supposed to be a fixture or a special tool to keep the cams from rotating while you get everything else in position?

The cams have a hex as most do. The way the chain is put on (counter clockwise) you start with the chain on the crank sprocket then move the cams just a bit to match the chain and when done it's all lined up. But I did stick a screwdriver under one lobe on the exhaust cam to secure it.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
That's a clean engine! What's your go-to oil?

Thanks. I use Mobil 1 and 5k mile OCI. Fram Ultra since they came out. 0W40 for the last few years, 5w30 for a couple of years.. But always has been synthetic since I dumped the factory fill. (5w20)

Here's the cams before I started.

[Linked Image]

And the amount of slack.

[Linked Image]

It takes the same chain as a Dodge and Mitsubishi motor, from their one time shared production or design arrangement.

Back