Small Trolling Motors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All, I am setting up a small dinghy for our Daughter to learn boating in the Spring. Someone gave us a 10' 'glass dinghy that hadn't been used in years and I am looking for a quality low power trolling motor. I know nothing about these yet, other than Minn Kota being the go-to brand from my childhood. There are a lot of makers out there now, but I am not interested in any of the bargain basement products....I don't like swimming that much :). Thoughts on quality small motors? Thanks all.

Minn Kota is still a good electric trolling motor. I had a MotorGuide Great White saltwater trolling motor that I bought used and it was still working when I sold my boat 14 years later. If the boat will be used in saltwater you must use a saltwater rated motor otherwise it will rust out in a year or two.

Last edited:
My buddies all have 24v Minn Kota with good results. This year in Maine when beaching the boat they tilted the motor, and by accident bumped the throttle 1st click. It was turning slowly for about 5 hours. I realized that it was spinning with no wind and ran over to it, it was so hot you couldnt touch it. Hes still using after we left it in the lake to cool.
I also saw the outboard powered by your battery drill the other day and thought it was a great idea!

I bought a Bass Pro shop branded trolling motor about 10 years ago and still works great. It was a 30lb thrust unit. Pushes my 12 foot boat just fine.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Electric and fresh water only, we are on a lake. Thanks.

Minn Kota, and don't even bother looking at anything else.

You might find another brand cheaper, but it won't be cheaper when you have to buy another one.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Electric and fresh water only, we are on a lake. Thanks.

Minn Kota, and don't even bother looking at anything else.

You might find another brand cheaper, but it won't be cheaper when you have to buy another one.

This is what I just did, thanks!

You can the basic Minn Kota at WalMart for around $100. I've had two of them die because the top leaked and let rain run down the shaft, so be sure to cover it up if you leave it outdoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back