Weird private-label tire names

Originally Posted by Excel
my Ford F150 came with Hankooks,they were
so dangerous in the rain I swapped them
for new tires within 2 years. Ford sucks
Korean tires on a so call american brand...Never again

Ehh, Hankook still makes some cheap and trashy rubber, but they also make a lot of stuff that's pretty much as good as anything, and often a few bucks less.

Like most Korean brands, they got their start making cheap junk and then pretty rapidly climbed the ladder into making competitive products. They're probably not the best, but they usually work well enough.

That said, I've found that most OE tires on cars are junk. My Mazda came with a set of Bridgestones that were utter garbage, for example. I know Subaru runs OE Yokohamas that are downright dangerous in the snow, which seems really foolish given their brand identity. I'm sure some of the real high dollar cars come with nice rubber, but for mass market cars it seems to be a matter of whoever can sell sufficient quantity at the lowest price. At least no OEMs are running Chinese tires yet, as far as I know. I don't know why China, a country that's put people into space, can't seem to make a decent tire.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by littlehulkster
That said, I've found that most OE tires on cars are junk. My Mazda came with a set of Bridgestones that were utter garbage, for example. I know Subaru runs OE Yokohamas that are downright dangerous in the snow, which seems really foolish given their brand identity. I'm sure some of the real high dollar cars come with nice rubber, but for mass market cars it seems to be a matter of whoever can sell sufficient quantity at the lowest price. At least no OEMs are running Chinese tires yet, as far as I know. I don't know why China, a country that's put people into space, can't seem to make a decent tire.

The most common OE tire I can think of is the Bridgestone Potenza RE92. That thing is horrible. It messes with the performance tests in reviews. I've heard the deal is that they're sold cheap to carmakers and have low rolling resistance for fuel economy testing. When I've seen the aftermarket prices (for a 160 treadwear rated tire) it just boggles the mind.

As far as no-names go, I've seen a lot. My wife's Civic can use a host of them, but if I'm going to cheap out I'm going to at least go with a weird name I've heard before like Falken.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Originally Posted by Excel
my Ford F150 came with Hankooks,they were
so dangerous in the rain I swapped them
for new tires within 2 years. Ford sucks
Korean tires on a so call american brand...Never again

Ehh, Hankook still makes some cheap and trashy rubber, but they also make a lot of stuff that's pretty much as good as anything, and often a few bucks less.

Like most Korean brands, they got their start making cheap junk and then pretty rapidly climbed the ladder into making competitive products. They're probably not the best, but they usually work well enough.

As I stated earlier-Michelin makes tires in China-and exports them all over the place-except here. That's seems to be BITOG dirty little secret.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/business/2013-01/29/content_16183399.htm

Also-Hankook statred going after the OEM luxuary market a few years ago-

https://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/398503/hankook-is-oe-supplier-for-mercedes-benz-s-class

I hope the facts don't get in the way of your opinions.

Last edited:
It might be time to remind everyone that OE tires - the ones that come on new vehicles from the factory - are built to the vehicle manufacturer's specs, which are completely different than the specs the tire manufacturer uses for all its other products. Typically OE tires emphasize rolling resistance and they get that by sacrificing treadwear and/or traction, especially wet traction. The vehicle manufacturers know all about this compromise and take advantage of it - but occasionally get too aggressive.

Further, each vehicle has its own tire specs - meaning that even though the name on the sidewall is the same, the tires are spec'd different between vehicle manufacturers - and even within a given vehicle manufacturer. Each OE tire is different than the others in the line.

Originally Posted by HerrStig
One place you WON'T see these "funny names" is on the unrestricted parts of das Autobahn. Well, you might see bits and pieces.

Yep.
Originally Posted by HerrStig
Wouldn't the Chinese just love to drive US and European tire makers under using their slave labor and thus have another little stranglehold on our economy.

Yep.

Scott

Originally Posted by CapriRacer
It might be time to remind everyone that OE tires - the ones that come on new vehicles from the factory - are built to the vehicle manufacturer's specs, which are completely different than the specs the tire manufacturer uses for all its other products. Typically OE tires emphasize rolling resistance and they get that by sacrificing treadwear and/or traction, especially wet traction. The vehicle manufacturers know all about this compromise and take advantage of it - but occasionally get too aggressive.

Further, each vehicle has its own tire specs - meaning that even though the name on the sidewall is the same, the tires are spec'd different between vehicle manufacturers - and even within a given vehicle manufacturer. Each OE tire is different than the others in the line.

And almost all are garbage, designed for minimal rolling resistance and to wear like iron at the expense of all else. The Assurances on my Magnum did absolutely nothing well...but had legal tread with 70,000 miles.

WE know this. Why do tire manufacturers make a tire to the car makers specs, then turn around and call a retail tire (one you can buy at a tire store) the same name? When often-the OEM tire is so mediocre-one doesn't want to go and replace it with the "same name"?

Seems like they are shooting themselves in the foot to me.........

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN

WE know this. Why do tire manufacturers make a tire to the car makers specs, then turn around and call a retail tire (one you can buy at a tire store) the same name? When often-the OEM tire is so mediocre-one doesn't want to go and replace it with the "same name"?

Seems like they are shooting themselves in the foot to me.........

Usually it happens in reverse. The line of tires was already there and either the tire manufacturer modified a tire to meet the OEM specs - OR - the OEM wanted that particular name because of the reported good image.

Also, it is almost always the case where the tire that comes OE is also sold in the aftermarket. That saves not only the confusion of replacing the tire with an identical one, it also allows for overruns and the cost benefit derived from that.

On the other hand, there are some lines of tires that are strictly OEM. You can identify these if you look at the sizes available - a short list.

My experience says that there isn't as strong of a backlash about the poor performing OE tires as one might think - that not only do most OEM tires perform OK (Not great, but adequately), and those that don't perform don't have enough of a major impact that the naming practice is discontinued.

I have bought many new vehicles and agree … however as someone else pointed out I was not happy with OEM's Hankook tires having hydroplane issues … only tires I ever rolled to the curb with 10k on them …
The tread pattern was so closed in don't think they could consume nor evacuate water … may as well been slicks …
Found it even more strange they came on a 4WD vehicle …

Originally Posted by eljefino
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
From another thread here, a replacement for the Can-Am Spyder: Vee Rubber Arachnid.

That's right funny!

I got close to one to check it's "car" tires out. Nope, they're something special, and presumably expensive.

Thats funny right there.
My Can Am Spyder tires say General Altimax RT43 on the sidewall.
The Vee Rubber Arachnids are good tires as a direct replacement for the factory Kenda's, and not really expensive in comparison.

Last edited:
Was towing a car into a hole-in-the-wall reputable tire shop the other day; I noticed he had in this one pile of tires of some big 19.5" tires marked off. Took a look at them and the brand was "Heavy Princess". The shop owner said those tires came off a Frieghtliner M2 and he can't resell them as they don't have a DOT number on them. From what he can tell, they are from a plant in South America.

The 2012 Mazda3 came from the car dealer with some Atlas Land Sport tires. They will wear out before the Pirelli P7s that are also on the car will. I'll probably be putting tires on in pairs.

I'll probably get 30-40k on them. No idea how many miles where on them as it was a used car.

Nothing to write home about. They'll have enough tread to make it through spring rains and will be replaced this fall with a couple of P7s to match what is on the back.

I drive about 20k /year, so if I can make them last until October or November, they will have done their job.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Eldorado and Atlas have been around for years. TBC Corporation in Florida sells several private label tires that are available regionally at fair prices. Cooper Tire still makes quite a few private label tires. Here in NC the two odd brands I've seen are Achilles and Black Lion.

When you see it...
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Back