Correct AC Delco P/S Fluid for 98 Buick Lesabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently replaced the power steering pump on my 1998 Buick Lesabre. I replaced it with an AC Delco pump and flushed the fluid with Valvoline Max Life P/S fluid. After bleeding all the air out I seem to still have some noise from the pump once the fluid heats up and the steering is sometimes a little tough when this occurs. I'm going to flush and bleed the fluid again, however I'm going to use the GM/AC Delco P/S fluid this time, but I can't seem to match up the old parts numbers from the owners manual to the new fluid part numbers. This is what the manual states: GM Power Steering Fluid (GM Part No. 1052884 - 1 pint, 10500 17 - 1 quart, or equivalent). Can someone please give me the current AC Delco P/S fluid part numbers that replaced the GM numbers from the manual? Thank you!

Originally Posted by lesabre98
I replaced it with an AC Delco pump and flushed the fluid with Valvoline Max Life P/S fluid. After bleeding all the air out I seem to still have some noise from the pump once the fluid heats up and the steering is sometimes a little tough when this occurs.

IME Maxlife PS fluid is a little too thick for a non leaking system. My Cad had less-than-perfect steering, with a rough spot during right turns. Replacing with Carquest OEM compatible PS fluid did not solve the problem, so I tried Maxlife. Maxlife also failed to smooth the rough spot, and I noticed that the wheel was a little harder to turn. I then switched to Lucas PS fluid (the one that says "for all PS systems, even Honda") and the steering smoothed out considerably. Both my vehicles now run Lucas, which is the best performing PS fluid I have tried (vs Maxlife, Prestone, Carquest...I have not tried AC Delco or other boutique brands so cannot compare to them).

I thought the MaxLife also met GM standard, but I could be wrong. I'm still think I want to try and find the AC Delco fluid once I can locate the correct part numbers. There are so many it's kinda confusing.

Look for a major brand of PS fluid on sale at the local parts stores or at Walmart .

The old GM cars sometimes used Dexron ATF . Older Ford cars used type F ATF .

Ford and GM can use ATF for PS fluid. Some older Ford's (like my F150) MUST use Type F. Mopar MUST NOT use ATF. I'm talking older stuff like his '98.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Look for a major brand of PS fluid on sale at the local parts stores or at Walmart .

The old GM cars sometimes used Dexron ATF . Older Ford cars used type F ATF .

I did. I flushed my new pump and lines with Valvoline Max Life and after it heats up the pump starts to emit a slight whine and the steering gets a tad stiff while turning. I'm just looking for updated parts numbers for the AC Delco P/S fluid that is recommended in my service manual. The part numbers must have changed because they're no longer available. This is what the manual states: GM Power Steering Fluid (GM Part No. 1052884 - 1 pint, 1050017 - 1 quart, or equivalent).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back