3/8" hose barb fuel filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of installing a fuel filter on the power steering return line. I know about the Wix 33033, Fram G15, ACDelco GF61P, Wix 33482.
There are space concerns and I want the filter to have at least one end above the reservoir level (for less spill when changing the PS fluid), or the ability to raise the filter when changing the fluid.
I'm looking for a smaller fuel filter, metal case, 3/8" hose barbs, but with the inlet and outlet hose barbs oriented in an L or S or U shape, or have both inlet/outlet on the same side of the filter, maybe at 90 degrees.
I want to install the filter on the zip tied hose loop in the photo. See some photos of what I'm talking about regarding barb orientation.

IMG_3477.JPG

IMG_3478.JPG

33103.png

33510.png

WIX-33214.jpg

Last edited:
Those type of crimp hoses are high pressure lines.
You cannot use simple clamps on barb connectors.
You need to make a hydraulic crimp line or fabricate the proper AN fittings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JMJNet
Those type of crimp hoses are high pressure lines.
You cannot use simple clamps on barb connectors.
You need to make a hydraulic crimp line or fabricate the proper AN fittings.

Are you referring to the AC line/hose in the foreground?
I'm talking about the hose in the background with a zip tie on it; the AC line is in the way, my bad.

IMG_3479.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
How often would you change such a filter ?

I might replace it at 30-40k miles for a cut & inspect and go from there.

Originally Posted by zorobabel
I'm thinking of installing a fuel filter on the power steering return line. ........

a FUEL filter?
uhh NO, BAD idea! Use the proper filter (that has a safety bypass AND a magnet to grab fines) - here: 20-P038F

no more expensive.

that fuel-filter dissolves/collapses/clogs (not designed for flow/heat/viscosity of ps sys) and you'll trash the system quick!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oldoak2000
Originally Posted by zorobabel
I'm thinking of installing a fuel filter on the power steering return line. ........

a FUEL filter?
uhh NO, BAD idea! Use the proper filter (that has a safety bypass AND a magnet to grab fines) - here: 20-P038F

no more expensive.

that fuel-filter dissolves/collapses/clogs (not designed for flow/heat/viscosity of ps sys) and you'll trash the system quick!

Thanks, but 190 microns? I imagine it's just a screen mesh, considering how small it is.

I think a Magnefine or one of the similar NAPA filters might be your best bet here. Magnefine is 3" long plus the barb on each end. I'm not sure what size the sealed plastic ones are, like Filtran (?) from NAPA.

The straight barbs will mean looping the line around, but that doesn't seem to be a problem now.

I would simply drain ps fluid, remove and clean resivoir, flush fluid.
Good to go. Hondas have a mesh screen in their resivoirs.

I have the same plans and purchased a Transmission Filter for a Honda, something approved for hot hydraulic fluid. I think it was like 8-bucks for an asian look alike filter.

Originally Posted by Dufus2
I have the same plans and purchased a Transmission Filter for a Honda, something approved for hot hydraulic fluid. I think it was like 8-bucks for an asian look alike filter.

Thanks, do you have a link or part number?
If it's this one, can you please measure the barb OD?

Last edited:
I have done this in the past.

Napa/Wix 3/8" fuel filters work just fine, but of course - only on the return back to the reservoir.

Change it after just 2-3 weeks, though - and only do this in the summer, never in winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back