Translation please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please translate this techno-gibberish that was displayed on a page on which I wanted to watch a video?

Insufficient Storage

The method could not be performed on the resource because the server is unable to store the representation needed to successfully complete the request. There is insufficient free space left in your storage allocation.

You are out of hard drive space. Delete a couple of those naughty stuffs and you should be ok
crackmeup2.gif

It's on the server side, that message is associated with an HTTP 5xx code, which means it's a problem with the server, not you. If it was you it would be a 4xx, I also don't think a server would respond telling you that you didn't have enough disk space, since something like that could be discerned entirely on the client side.

They're probably doing something to a video file before serving it up and they ran into the storage cap. There's nothing you can do here and it has nothing to do with you, it's on their side.

As the other poster said, if you're getting this on a web page, the problem is with the media server on their end, not yours. It could indicate a low memory, cache, or diskspace on the server. Either way, you can't do much other than notify them.

I know the problem isn't on my end. I have several TBs of HD space available. I'd like an explanation of "method" and "representation" within the missing context of the error message, please. In the meantime, the video (on https://www.loc.gov/) played fine.

If I had to guess, and I don't have to, I'd say "method" must be the process of playing the video, "representation" is the video file or the url of the video file. "Request" is the request to stream the file.

In newer programming languages, "methods" are roughly analogous to what used to be called subroutines. It is some code which is invoked to do a process on data.

The method was likely a transcode where the video file would be converted from the format it was stored in into a different format before sending to you. There was not enough space on the server to store the new file or "representation".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back