Rotella T4 15W40 71,959 kms 93 Cummins 6BT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the latest oil report on my sister's 93 Dodge Cummins 6bt. No oil changes were carried out and running a MotorGuard M100 and Puradyn MTS 24 bypass filtration system. Since the last report I changed 3 Motor Guard filters, requiring 3 litres of oil and 1 litre due to rear main seal leak. Still not sure what caused the spike in aluminum, but that number is coming down slowly, so very happy with the results.

Cummins Latest OilReports.jpg

A310,

The old 6BT just soldiers on, continued great reports for this engine. Aside from something contaminating the oil like coolant this appears to be infinitely sustainable on your 6BT.

How are the recapped tires holding up on the Dodge?

When can we expect a report on a compound turbo 4 cylinder F350?

True, the Cummins is a great engine. The recaps are in her garage at the moment as she found a free deal on rims and tires from a friend. I installed all four new tires and been running those in the meantime. I'm about 2 months away from having the Detroit on the road, so just resealing the engine and adding another bung and oil pan heater on the oil pan. Going to be starting it soon inframe for the first time, so pretty excited.:) It's a lot of work, but ticking things off the list at a steady pace.:)

So you're running 2 BP systems? In parallel or series?

Just so you know, anything larger than 2um-3um is being removed from the visibility of the UOA. I'm not saying this is a bad UOA; it's good data. But it's data that cannot be compared to engines without BP without the acknowledgement that some of the particulate removed is wear material and therefore alters the true sense of how the engine is wearing.

Originally Posted by Linctex
I think the frequent addition of makeup oil is helping a lot.

The 4-cyl Detroit F350 is a trip!

True, this truck is 7 hrs from where I live, so I can't do the traditional change the bypass filter when it cold on this one as I'm not there.:) So I change it every three months and then I don't have to worry about it. The Cummins is very easy on the oil.:) Unlike my Powerstroke was. The Detroit should be a lot of fun.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by dnewton3

Just so you know, anything larger than 2um-3um is being removed from the visibility of the UOA. I'm not saying this is a bad UOA; it's good data. But it's data that cannot be compared to engines without BP without the acknowledgement that some of the particulate removed is wear material and therefore alters the true sense of how the engine is wearing.

Thanks, it's 2 bypass filters in series and I'm aware that it's skewing the results compared to an engine without a bypass. This is just an experiment I'm trying out and see how long I can go without changing the oil.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Filter debris analysis would add a whole lot of color commentary to this story no doubt. I wonder if it's cheaper on bypass elements where they just have to unroll the TP?

True, the first filter is a TP roll and the second one is compressed cotton fibre. I'm not aware of anyone who can do debris analysis on these types. Maybe something I should look into a little more.:)

Originally Posted by A310
Originally Posted by dnewton3

Thanks, it's 2 bypass filters in series and I'm aware that it's skewing the results compared to an engine without a bypass. This is just an experiment I'm trying out and see how long I can go without changing the oil.
smile.gif

At this rate? A long, long, long, long time between OCIs ....
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back