Everybody sells oil filter cap removal tools that don't fit my 2.4 GDI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triple_Se7en

$50 Site Donor 2024
What are you 2.4 GDI Theta owners using to remove your oil filter? My access point underneath is a door that opens and I'm interested in a end-cap tool that uses a socket wrench.

Only one I found so far that fits my OEM filter is the Lisle 63600. I balked at the price. Is there something else that fits over the bottom snugly?

https://www.zoro.com/lisle-oil-filt...s4LzB4QIVRrXACh07SgUvEAQYByABEgLWa_D_BwE

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
What are you 2.4 GDI Theta owners using to remove your oil filter?

I just twist it off with my hands every time.

I prefer to look at it this way: Two or three uses and the tool pays for itself. Extra uses after three or so are bonus points.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These will fit the filter shown. The aluminum one can be purchased at Ebay and Amazon. The aluminum one fits better.

As an alternative, I believe that Harbor Freight still has a 5 piece end cap set for about $5 or $6 dollars that has the 80mm - 15 flute end cap for the standard 26300-35503/04 filters. I lost mine in a move but it worked perfectly in the three or four years I had it.

Walmart has a filter wrench that is less than $5. It looks like a pair of pincers. Another option is a good pair of channelocks.

Is this the first time you've done this?

I have the cheapest stamped steel cap wrench for the same filter used on my Elantra. Works, but if I had a deeper aluminum design like above would be nicer. Mine is similar to the ones less than $5.00 at parts stores. My extension pushed through the top and only worked once I taped it in place.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Walmart has a filter wrench that is less than $5. It looks like a pair of pincers. Another option is a good pair of channelocks.

Is this the first time you've done this?

I've done this since 1969. So I'm guessing 270 oil changes .... roughly. We went thru a six year period where I serviced five vehicles. So maybe 295. Most of those years I serviced three.
I only got Bs in Math, so I may be a little off numerically.

Based on the door that leads to the filter above it, I'm guessing an end-cap is the easiest to maneuver.
So your idea of a filter wrench with a sideways handle may not be the friendliest to use there.
No removal of the skid plate necessary..... yippee!

BTW.... this is my first rodeo with a vehicle not ornamenting a Chrysler, GM or Ford name. I only owned two Fords, a 1966 and a 1974. Never-ever a third!

Last edited:
I have a similar setup on the Mazda. One small access panel exposes the drain plug and the filter.

I always preferred Channellock pliers but they have to have long jaws. I only need them for the factory filter. After that it's hand tightened and loosened. You can use them for other tasks too.

Another trick if you can get your hand in there is to double up some sandpaper. A strip 3-4 inches wide doubled back will give you enough grip to loosen.

I've had some real adventures with factory installed filters. This Mazda loosened up really easy. I was shocked.

I use an 80mm x 15 flute filter wrench professionally. I get about 6-8 months use before they round off. Cost maybe 8-10 bucks a pop.

I use an 80mm x 15 flute filter wrench professionally. I get about 6-8 months use before they round off. Cost maybe 8-10 bucks a pop.

Those Theta filters a pain ...–to get at with enough force to get off. All ya do is carve your fingers up sliding around that sharp too small a hole in the pan. The only wrenches that work are the cap style that go on a 3/8" square drive. I got a cheap one from autozone and it worked fine.
Do make sure to oil that gasket before you put a new one on and don't smoke the filter on or you'll end up taking the whole pan off which is a bit of a pain. That's what You have to do if you round off the tin flutes on the filter because there's no other way to get on with a strap wrench due to that tiny access hole so take it easy. If you do remove that pan it's not really hard. Just remember yo never seize or at least grease those10mm bolts before you put them back on. They are nut plated in plastic and if you spin a nut plate you'll hate life. I ...– know................keep em lubed so they don't rust in🤗

Originally Posted by Driz
Do make sure to oil that gasket before you put a new one on and don't smoke the filter on or you'll end up taking the whole pan off which is a bit of a pain. That's what You have to do if you round off the tin flutes on the filter because there's no other way to get on with a strap wrench due to that tiny access hole so take it easy. If you do remove that pan it's not really hard. Just remember yo never seize or at least grease those10mm bolts before you put them back on. They are nut plated in plastic and if you spin a nut plate you'll hate life. I ...– know................keep em lubed so they don't rust in🤗

Holy cow, you're removing the oil pan if you round off the oil filter flutes?!?

Absolutely completely unnecessary. Use a Lisle 63600 wrench or the similar 3 tined Walmart version shown earlier.

Works. Every. Time.

IMG_7711.jpg

IMG_7714.jpg

80mm filter cap if using OE filter. I also own a smaller cap, a three sided filter grabber and a large pincer type filter wrench. But my hands and a silicone oven mit usually do the trick when I find it's on there too tight.

Originally Posted by Driz
Those Theta filters a pain ...–to get at with enough force to get off. All ya do is carve your fingers up sliding around that sharp too small a hole in the pan. The only wrenches that work are the cap style that go on a 3/8" square drive. I got a cheap one from autozone and it worked fine.

Advice acknowledged...... thanks!
Going to get that Lisle 63060 wrench from Wally World after lunch.

Every-other-filter change I apply a little Gorilla Grease to the gasket, instead of oil. It's normally used on my blackpowder muzzleloader breechplug threads and protects against heat real well. Then on the next filter change, I'll only use synthetic oil and that grips to any leftover Gorilla Grease still on the gasket engine mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back