Anyone get frustrated when someone drives scared ahead

Originally Posted by c502cid
And just maybe it's someone's kids, grandparents, parents, spouse.... that just isn't as good of a driver as you and is doing their very best, even though it does not please you, to drive carefully.

Nice knowing there are judge, jury, and executioners in every thing we do.

If the "best" they can do is 50% of the posted advisory limit they should not be on the road, period.

Like most things in a state that's pushing 40 million people, you've got to be the bigger adult ( and / or better driver ) than they are and not let it bother you. If I run into situations like this back to back, I just imagine that I'm in a sitcom or some kind of candid camera show where I [censored] off Allen Funt because I don't give them the reaction they want. Works pretty well.

I find these to mostly be phone/GPS readers these days.

I used to be too polite to give them the horn, but nowadays I give it to them if it's really extreme. They generally get the picture.

You cannot stop people from driving slow. Try alternate routes instead of this two-lane roadway to commute home. Or better yet, get off the wooden path and move to new location where you can easily hop on and off the expressway.

Originally Posted by MCompact

If the "best" they can do is 50% of the posted advisory limit they should not be on the road, period.

This. It becomes a safety hazard for other drivers. When I worked in the insurance industry it was crazy how many accidents were caused by elderly drivers who really shouldn't have been on the road. We took my grandma's keys away when she hit a mailbox and didn't even realize it. It sucked to take away the keys, but at the same time it would've been so much worse had it been a person.

Originally Posted by camryrolla
You cannot stop people from driving slow. Try alternate routes instead of this two-lane roadway to commute home. Or better yet, get off the wooden path and move to new location where you can easily hop on and off the expressway.

Driving slow is one thing. Weaving over the lines, tapping the brakes and generally driving erratically is another. If I'm lost (happens a lot when driving to new places for my job) I pull into a parking lot to look at my phone map or get my bearings. It's common courtesy/safety for other drivers.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

Driving slow is one thing. Weaving over the lines, tapping the brakes and generally driving erratically is another. If I'm lost (happens a lot when driving to new places for my job) I pull into a parking lot to look at my phone map or get my bearings. It's common courtesy/safety for other drivers.

^^ This

That is frustrating. I experience what you describe pretty often on the last 6 miles of my work commute on the way home. It's two lane, almost entirely no-pass because of the curves and hills and mostly 45mph speed limits. So annoying after a 12-16hr shift when you're stuck behind someone doing 25-30 on your last stretch home. Especially after a night shift at. The typical driver does 55mph on this stretch.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
I have to drive while constantly looking in 6 different directions at once. I have to anticipate ahead of time what kind of mistake the other driver is going to make and take countermeasures to avoid a collision before it happens. I'm a real driver and have to be on my game if I want to save the car. No time for cell phone calls or scanning radio stations. I drive the car and that's it. Fighter jet pilots are probably more relaxed than I am.

That is how you are supposed to drive. Cell phone and scanning radio stations? not supposed to do that while driving.

Originally Posted by Bud
People in my area get very frustrated if you are driving the speed limit. That makes you a slow driver.

The posted number of the "speed limit" signs back in the day were supposed to be the maximum speed allowed. Over time, they have turned into the bare minimum acceptable speed. At least 15 over the minimum is preferred, 25 over is generally acceptable if you are not weaving in and out of traffic on multi lane roads.

The 25MPH speed limit signs in New York City are a practical joke for the benefit of out of towners. Skateboarders, scooters, bicycles and fast joggers go at least that fast.

Also note that in New York City, red lights mean that you should exercise caution when gunning through the intersection. Green light means shut your eyes and step on the gas as you go through.

Its a shame they do not teach these new rules to the new drivers in town who are learning about our traffic laws, it would solve a lot of the confusion out on the roads in my city.

Originally Posted by c502cid
Nice knowing there are judge, jury, and executioners in every thing we do.
I'm glad you're glad. Now hand me the rope.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
Tonight I was taking a road home where I encountered two drivers who were just infuriating to be behind. It was only one lane in each direction, and this guy was driving less than 20 MPH with nothing ahead, and even slowed down to less than 15 MPH at every intersection, including at green lights and when there was no stop signs in our direction (but stop signs in the perpendicular directions). I thought that would be it, but I got stuck behind another driver doing basically the same thing. Drive at a crawl, then at every intersection slow down even without any pedestrians or even vehicle lights.

Also - this morning I stopped at a stop sign where there was someone crossing at an intersection. I then proceed when the pedestrian is well past me. Then I hear a honk, and right a stop sign there's someone who started moving with that pedestrian right in front of his car. He of course stopped after hearing the honk, but I'm not sure he wouldn't have just plowed into her without warning. I gave him a staredown as I drove by him. I've occasional seen drivers where I wonder if they really shouldn't have their driver licenses revoked.

Toyota or Subaru?

I end up trapped behind one of these people at least twice a day. I can't tell if it's fear, blindness, incompetence, or directionally challenged, but it's clear that no kind of real competency tests are given to drivers anymore. 45mph on Central Expressway or George Bush Tollway at rush hour is begging to be plowed over, but people do it regularly, usually with a death grip on the wheel and leaned forward in the seat. Secondary roads and frontage roads are filled with them. These people seriously need to be evaluated for competence to be behind the wheel of a car. If you're so scared, blind, or incompetent that you don't feel safe enough to keep up with traffic, public transportation has your name written all over it. If you're lost, do the right thing and pull over to orient yourself. You're a hazard to everyone around you.

I'm 17 and have only been driving for just over a year, but some of the stuff I see seriously shocks me. I have had people almost hit me head-on driving the wrong way down a certain one-way street a few different times now for a good example.

Oh, also, I usually work right after school and my work is on the same street as my school, about 2 miles down. The speed limit on this road is 35 and almost every time I leave school for work the "country boys" with their lifted pavement princesses always race past me doing easily 70-80mph, weaving in and out of cars just barely clipping their bumpers off, and nobody bats an eye...

but literally the ONE TIME I go 5 over and do 40 I get pulled over.

Last week though, one of them was weaving in and out of cars and ended up sliding into the ditch on the side, so I got some cheap entertainment on my drive to work that day.

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
I end up trapped behind one of these people at least twice a day. I can't tell if it's fear, blindness, incompetence, or directionally challenged, but it's clear that no kind of real competency tests are given to drivers anymore. 45mph on Central Expressway or George Bush Tollway at rush hour is begging to be plowed over, but people do it regularly, usually with a death grip on the wheel and leaned forward in the seat. Secondary roads and frontage roads are filled with them. These people seriously need to be evaluated for competence to be behind the wheel of a car. If you're so scared, blind, or incompetent that you don't feel safe enough to keep up with traffic, public transportation has your name written all over it. If you're lost, do the right thing and pull over to orient yourself. You're a hazard to everyone around you.

First thing that will fly out of the car with drivers like that in accident are teeth.

Originally Posted by cwilliamsws6
I'm 17 and have only been driving for just over a year, but some of the stuff I see seriously shocks me. I have had people almost hit me head-on driving the wrong way down a certain one-way street a few different times now for a good example.

Oh, also, I usually work right after school and my work is on the same street as my school, about 2 miles down. The speed limit on this road is 35 and almost every time I leave school for work the "country boys" with their lifted pavement princesses always race past me doing easily 70-80mph, weaving in and out of cars just barely clipping their bumpers off, and nobody bats an eye...

but literally the ONE TIME I go 5 over and do 40 I get pulled over.

Last week though, one of them was weaving in and out of cars and ended up sliding into the ditch on the side, so I got some cheap entertainment on my drive to work that day.

Speed is very often not a problem as skill and some bizarre behavior.
When I drive on auto bahn in Germany, on parts where people do 120mph and more like it is a joke, actually it is relaxing. Because everyone fallows the rules. Speed is not noticeable.
When I go home to Bosnia, driving on hwy, everyone only passes in left lane, go back to right lane immediately. Everyone gives signal when passing. NO ONE passes on the right. It is relaxing. I come back to Denver airport, drive an hour to Colorado Springs and I have a feeling grandma in Toyota Avalon wants to kill me while doing 40 in left lane where speed limit is 75.

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote

X1,000,000

"Speed is very often not a problem as skill and some bizarre behavior. "

...and situational awareness, which you probably and rightfully consider a skill. Tooling along in the left lane oblivious to the line behind you, the fact that you are not even pacing the middle lane and causing equally idiotic behavior as folks pass in the extreme right lanes, flying by entrance ramps faster than the flow.

Highway driving in most of Europe is an experience most of our drivers should see and discipline most should emulate.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by y_p_w
I've occasional seen drivers where I wonder if they really shouldn't have their driver licenses revoked.

My experiences would say about 1/4 the drivers on the road should be riding the bus instead of driving.
eek.gif

Only a 1/4?

Back