Do retailers no longer give out receipts automatically?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do retailers no longer give out receipts? I noticed if you would pay with a credit card you would get a receipt, and if with cash then they wouldn't give you one. Now it seems like even paying with a credit card, they don't give you one either unless you ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard on the radio there is a grass roots effort in California to do away with paper receipts and go with email receipts. One person measured their receipt at 4 1/2 feet long!

Originally Posted by Kestas
I heard on the radio there is a grass roots effort in California to do away with paper receipts and go with email receipts. One person measured their receipt at 4 1/2 feet long!

With an added benefit that they get your e-mail address for marketing purposes.

That's on places like CVS to stop putting all that crap on their receipts.

Whole Foods and Sprouts both print on the front AND BACK of receipts which makes them much smaller.

Stores like dollar general ask if you want your receipt hoping you'll say no due to $5 Saturday coupons that are printed on them.

I remember when Obama was on a late night talk show and the host handed him a 4ft reciept from CVS for batteries and asked him to do something about it.
Obama took the receipt and said he would look into it. That was a few years back so I guess nothing happened.
lol.gif

I'd be fine with e-mail receipts... I'd just give them my spam e-mail address I give out to retailers and promotions etc. and not my actual e-mail.

Last edited:
Generally, here, if you TAP, they won't offer you the receipt and the gas stations don't give you a receipt unless you press the button for one. Home Depot offers you the option to have it E mailed.

Having said that, I Tap a lot. I have never seen an incorrect charge on my bill when tapping or when I insert the credit card in a machine the waitress gives me. I think if something is going to go wrong it is from someone using your card numbers and buying something and in that case you won't have any paper backup for that. Remember to stash some cash away for when the whole system crashes and the riots start.
laugh.gif

I'm a Cashier @ Meijer...for a while we offered customers already enrolled in our rewards program(mPerks) the option to not get a paper receipt at the checkout.(you had to choose yes/no on the card reader screen each time), since you already get a digital copy of the every receipt in your mPerks account...
that lasted MAYBE 6 months.....
now it prints receipts for every transaction.

the only exception to that is at the gas station, where they don't print automatically, you have to ask for it,
except, if you put in your mPerks, then it automatically prints...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Do retailers no longer give out receipts? I noticed if you would pay with a credit card you would get a receipt, and if with cash then they wouldn't give you one. Now it seems like even paying with a credit card, they don't give you one either unless you ask.

Same thing here and that made me wonder, my conclusion is that since millenials & youngers don't really have a grip on their financial situation or don't care they don't want/need receipts. The merchant seeing an opportunity to save money (paper rolls) is happy to oblige. I inferred that by asking the cashiers why don't they give them automatically as they used to and they replied that nobody wants them. Any wonder that the average person is in deep financial dodo
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
In my area, it seems most retailers now ask if I want a receipt.
Originally Posted by Reddy45
That's on places like CVS to stop putting all that crap on their receipts.
OMG, I was astounded at the length of CVS' receipts, to the point that I signed up for their email delivery, since they already knew it. CVS must go through the equivalent of an entire rainforest worth of trees every year.

Most all retailers give me a receipt, unless it's something small at the gas station paid with cash.

I use Walmart pay when shopping at Walmart (it just ties to your checking account) and it only generates an E-mailed receipt, no paper copy.

The door greeter occasionally asks me to show them my receipt when leaving the store (much like they do at Sams club) at which point I have nothing to give them. Apparently they aren't trained that Walmart Pay does not give receipts because they looked befuddled when I tell them it doesn't give me a receipt.

I refuse to show my phone to a stranger for the purpose of making sure I'm not stealing (?), and I've become tired of explaining myself, so I simply walk right past them when they ask, point to the cashiers and say "ask them for my receipt!" Nobody has called the cops on me yet
smile.gif

Good riddance. Unless it's something significant I may return, sure. But $40 worth of groceries or $10 at McDonalds or $25 in gas? Please no.

Last edited:
As a retailer....on our point of sale register, it asks the customer if they would like a...
1. Printed receipt
2. Email receipt
3. Text receipt
or
4. No receipt
Your choice
Most choose #4

The CVS receipts are obscene in their waste. I normally like getting a receipt for most purchases. At least with gas I write the mileage on the car down and add it to my app. Of course Shell emails me before I get home with a copy.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
Most all retailers give me a receipt, unless it's something small at the gas station paid with cash.

I use Walmart pay when shopping at Walmart (it just ties to your checking account) and it only generates an E-mailed receipt, no paper copy.

The door greeter occasionally asks me to show them my receipt when leaving the store (much like they do at Sams club) at which point I have nothing to give them. Apparently they aren't trained that Walmart Pay does not give receipts because they looked befuddled when I tell them it doesn't give me a receipt.

I refuse to show my phone to a stranger for the purpose of making sure I'm not stealing (?), and I've become tired of explaining myself, so I simply walk right past them when they ask, point to the cashiers and say "ask them for my receipt!" Nobody has called the cops on me yet
smile.gif

Or just show them you have a receipt and keep walking. Last time they asked me for mine, I just said no I don't want to, just flashed the receipt and kept walking. Attendant just laughed and no one came after me. They don't have a right to stop you unless they know that you're stealing.

Originally Posted by earlyre
I'm a Cashier @ Meijer...for a while we offered customers already enrolled in our rewards program(mPerks) the option to not get a paper receipt at the checkout.(you had to choose yes/no on the card reader screen each time), since you already get a digital copy of the every receipt in your mPerks account...
that lasted MAYBE 6 months.....
now it prints receipts for every transaction.

the only exception to that is at the gas station, where they don't print automatically, you have to ask for it,
except, if you put in your mPerks, then it automatically prints...

I wish they'd go back to that. Don't need a receipt for anything except gas or expensive items. The scan n go is really nice though.

Originally Posted by Pelican
The merchant seeing an opportunity to save money (paper rolls) is happy to oblige.

Sweet summer child...

It's not the cost of paper, it's all the taxes, insurance, and back-end processing fees businesses have to pay.

So long as it wasn't the clerk themselves pocketing the money and embezzling the product or service you bought.

Depends on the value, but I usually choose 1) email or 2) no. One of my email addresses I give out so I don't particularly care what ends up getting sent to it. I'm over paper receipts. No need.

I like the paper receipt. Grocery stores like to charge the wrong prices on sales items. Without the receipt in your hand it's difficult to get your money back. At gas stations I could care less about a receipt.

I've had one that long once, but that's on IKEA when I return / bought $2000 worth of cabinets in one shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back