So is the answer always OEM or Fram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear Wix and Purolater here and there but seems like the collective is OEM or Fram?

I'm looking for longetivity and reliability in my Juke.

If you're a mindless zombie parrot like 93% of members here....then yeah, OEM or Fram Ultra.

And if you propose anything else, you're an idiot...according to the masses here. This place can really suck sometimes.....the trends here are strong but change every few years.

Hastings, Mahle and Hengst also get a lot of positive mention.

If any car maker is on the fringes of BITOGer's radar it's Nissan. Ergo, their branded filters won't see much sunlight.

Parrot or not, a Fram Ultra is virtually ALWAYS a solid bet... and OEM is almost always an inexpensive and reliable option. Also, both are almost always readily available anywhere there's a Walmart or some tractor/parts/auto store.

Are they the only option? Definitely not. Wix is a solid option too, as are many other brands. Bottom line, we like the one that's priced well, built like a tank, reliable, and does what it says it will.. and that's usually a Fram Ultra.

I've used tons of other brands without concern, and without incident.

Not always--while I do use FRAM for my Explorer, Baldwin and WIX got the nod for my (former) 6.7L Powerstroke. Alternately, while PurFlux makes the OEM filters for both my Mercedes cars and though I do have some PurFlux filters, I also have a large stash of Mann oil filters and Mahle air filters for both cars. Circling back to OEM, I used Motorcraft FL-820s on my 2010 Ford FX4 (until they started tearing--then I did switch to FRAM Ultras) and Motorcraft FL-2051s on my Powerstroke until I cut one open and saw how long the filter was with little support and Baldwin/WIX took the MC's place. From my experience and point of view OEM is not always the best choice nor would FRAM be the default to replace OEM--I say, do your research and find a filter that works for you at the price point you want to pay and will support the use case that you have. Anything else is bloviation at its finest.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
Parrot or not, a Fram Ultra is virtually ALWAYS a solid bet...
I would say that is not always the case with FRAM Ultra cartridge filters. For the spin-ons, they are hard to beat from a price/performance perspective.

I've got Napa Gold, Napa Silver, Baldwin, MicroGreen, Bosch D+, & Fram Ultra on my shelf right now. I interchange as the mood strikes. I had several other brands as well but cut them open for the board.

Yes, Fram Ultra is one of the best, top 3 for sure. But if you buy a vehicle and keep it for 100k, 150k, 200k... will it really make a difference anywhere other than your wallet? Probably not.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
I would say that is not always the case with FRAM Ultra cartridge filters. For the spin-ons, they are hard to beat from a price/performance perspective.

..thus the 'virtually' in my statement... implying most/much of the time, but not absolutely always.

Just cut open a P1 that came off the Mazda with roughly 7,200 miles on it. Help up perfectly fine.

So in my book, no, it's not either Fram or OE only.

I typically use Fram because I seem to have the lowest Si numbers from that. That said I'm currently testing AC-Delco because I got them for a decent price. I will compare the UOA's Si readings.

I also only change when the filter minder tells me it's done. Not visually. I find I can go a really long time before it's needed. Saves me a ton on yearly filter replacements I would have been doing otherwise with the miles I drive.

I use NAPA filters and have never had one fail yet so I guess they do what filters do and filter.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
No the answer for me is 99+ percent at 20 Microns and on sale for under $7 with free shipping.

That's the one I use on all my vehicles! Excellent filtration in a stout construction at a cheap price.

I was a Fram hater (with no actual evidence) and was a Purolator guy for the longest time.

Well before I decided to research and see the "tearolators"...I can only imagine how many of mine torn without me knowing it. Then I moved onto an Amsoil kick both filters and oil. Had good results (via UOA), but after about 4 years I saw the test results after reformulation and saw not much difference between that and SuperTech stuff. So I switched to a SuperTech and Fram Ultra combo. I change the oil at 10k, and filter at 20k. And I run Fram on everything else now. Going by all the picture evidence Ive seen on this forum.

Im a Fram guy now, shoot me. I lost a friend defending them over his sworn Purolators. Ohwell lol

Walmart Supertech is a good USA made buy and can get fresh filters by checking date. Resins dry out and harden.

Originally Posted by Phishin
If you're a mindless zombie parrot like 93% of members here....then yeah, OEM or Fram Ultra.

And if you propose anything else, you're an idiot...according to the masses here. This place can really suck sometimes.....the trends here are strong but change every few years.

The answer is Amsoil and Chuck Norris. The question is immaterial.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD

Fram Ultra for the spin-on, Mann for the cartridge filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back