2014 F250 6.7L; 10,070 miles; Amsoil SS 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 F250 6.7L PSD, 10,070 miles on Amsoil DEO Signature Series Max Duty 5w-40. 161K on engine. Wix filter.

Sample #s 1, 4 & 5: Amsoil DEO SS 5w-40
Sample #s 2 and 3: Red Line DEO 15w-40

Deleted 1K into #4. Looks like much improved wear numbers, and no fuel dilution, after delete. And oil doesn't get black as coal instantly anymore.

Note: T6 5w-40 resulted in about 3 or 4 times as much iron wear per mile for this particular engine, compared to the Amsoil 5w-40 here (see prior posts for the T6 results).

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
No surprises here.
Nothing special about Rotella 5w40, you should have expected less wear with AMSOIL (and many others), and you got it.
Fuel dilution will be eliminated with a delete and tune because Ford injects diesel on the exhaust stroke for regen.
You'll get another 500,000 out of that engine, and save energy so electric lovers can plug in and recharge.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by beanoil
Nothing special about Rotella 5w40, you should have expected less wear with AMSOIL (and many others), and you got it.

Interesting, I haven't seen that claim about Amsoil yet. Why would you see less wear? Because something about Rotella results in higher wear?

Originally Posted by Donald
Where did the mention of Rotella 5W40 come into this thread? I see RedLine and Amsoil.

The last line before the results:

Note: T6 5w-40 resulted in about 3 or 4 times as much iron wear per mile for this particular engine, compared to the Amsoil 5w-40 here (see prior posts for the T6 results).

I'm assuming T6 is Shell Rotella.

Originally Posted by anndel
Originally Posted by Donald
Where did the mention of Rotella 5W40 come into this thread? I see RedLine and Amsoil.

The last line before the results:

I'm assuming T6 is Shell Rotella.

Yes. Here is link for Rotella T6 5w40 in same engine:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4218169/2014_F250_6.7_with_Rotella_T6

I can only assume that sample #3 mileage is wrong; probably 7200 and not 72000?

Not really fair to compare the first three samples to the last two, since the delete greatly alters the operating conditions. Wear rates are coming down; likely due to the delete.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
I can only assume that sample #3 mileage is wrong; probably 7200 and not 72000?

Not really fair to compare the first three samples to the last two, since the delete greatly alters the operating conditions. Wear rates are coming down; likely due to the delete.

Yes typo. Should be 7200.

Not sure anyone compared samples 1-3 with 4-5. However, it is useful for showing that the delete caused wear metals to drop, fuel dilution to disappear, and soot to drop as oil is no longer black as coal. No real surprises there though I guess.

What are thoughts on extending OCIs further at this point? Was thinking an extra 2K each OCI going forward until something says otherwise??

Last edited:
Originally Posted by claluja

What are thoughts on extending OCIs further at this point? Was thinking an extra 2K each OCI going forward until something says otherwise??

I was going to ask if you had any such plans. I think another 2-3k next time will prove to be a piece of cake. It's amazing what a difference it makes when those engines are turned loose. I've seen just a few UOAs that followed a delete, but they've all shown the same much improved results.

I agree; extend slowly about 2-3k miles each time. See how the wear rates are playing out.
Data looks promising that extensions are viable; will be safe and cost effective.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
I agree; extend slowly about 2-3k miles each time. See how the wear rates are playing out.
Data looks promising that extensions are viable; will be safe and cost effective.

Sounds good. Thanks.

Originally Posted by dustyroads
Originally Posted by claluja

I was going to ask if you had any such plans. I think another 2-3k next time will prove to be a piece of cake. It's amazing what a difference it makes when those engines are turned loose. I've seen just a few UOAs that followed a delete, but they've all shown the same much improved results.

You called that aluminum drop - good prediction!
Crazy how much wear that egr causes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by beanoil

Interesting, I haven't seen that claim about Amsoil yet. Why would you see less wear? Because something about Rotella results in higher wear?

Will you ever in your lifetime give Amsoil some credit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back