Wheel hub recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Char Baby
OE

The OEM was discontinued, the remaining hubs are being scalped for a small fortune
frown.gif

Timken, SKF and Moog makes good bearings you should go on rockauto to see what they have.

Link

EDIT: rockauto also has ACDelco which is the OE for GM.

Last edited:
I'll be staying tuned to this thread. I purchased Timken bearing/hub assemblies for my wife's Mountaineer and now I'm hearing bearing noises again after about 45k miles.

Another vote for Timken. Two steps will ensure long replacement bearing life: a) Clean up any rust from the surface where the bearing rides, and b) properly torque a new axle nut.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Genuine GM since OE isn't available.

Aren't the manufacturers supposed to keep 20 yrs worth of part available?

GM HUB

No, they aren't.

That is the wrong part for the OP's vehicle, in his signature it indicates the vehicle is an AWD/4WD which would use a p/n 15233113 or 84356639 depending on RPO.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Genuine GM since OE isn't available.

Aren't the manufacturers supposed to keep 20 yrs worth of part available?

GM HUB

No, they aren't.

That is the wrong part for the OP's vehicle, in his signature it indicates the vehicle is an AWD/4WD which would use a p/n 15233113 or 84356639 depending on RPO.

I show 15233113 to be in-stock with my wholesaler - $256.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
I'd be surprised if you couldn't get OEM parts for a 2006 GM vehicle.

Scott

Things are a little different with domestic automakers.

When I had to get a new lt frt bearing /hub after the shop tore up the OE one banging on my rotor on the GTO I ordered the Timken bearing since they where the OE supplier. Timken is sometimes hit and miss, since they source stuff from all over the world, but in my case they bearing/hub had made in Japan stamped on it. So far (a year later) I've had no issues.

Originally Posted by The Critic

I show 15233113 to be in-stock with my wholesaler - $256.

Its a discontinued part. So whoever has the remaining hubs are jacking prices through the roof. Why I was hopeful for a quality aftermarket hub with a more reasonable (not cheap) price. The Timken is around $100 ea.

Last year I put Timkens on our original owner 2002 Tahoe with about 165k on it. Couldn't beat them for around $100 from RockAuto. I believe they were made in USA. Tip on install - I finally made progress on original hub removal with air hammer/chisel between hub/backing plate and knuckle... it chewed the backing plate up a bit but I was able to reuse. The truck only gets modest miles so I can't vouch for longevity but they looked and felt very good to me.

in this case OE is junk as witnessed by early failures on hundreds of various GM vehicles using the same hubs. some replaced under warranty as the junk oe part is used. girlfriends 13 malibu with 60 thou is starting to chirp as she noted. a very soon oil change and tire rotation i will check it. last check there was 28 pages of failures and comments on malibu forums. moog has a 3 yr warranty and some have less and its noted oe is a single lip seal and aftermarket uses multi lip. on malibus front and rear are same hence more early failing rears from the splined opening not used on the rear allowing more acess from the elements.

First, dont buy from no name brands as mentioned.

Two: Check warranty length, usually longer the better the quality. ( look at all the available brands on RA for AWD)

SKF Warranty Information:
Hub Units - 36 months /45,000 miles Rest - 12 months

TIMKEN Warranty Information:
12 months

CENTRIC Warranty Information:
90 days/3,000 miles

Moog Warranty Information:
36 Months / 36,000 Miles

WJB Warranty Information:
12 months

AcDelco Warranty Information:
Limited Lifetime

Raybestos Warranty Information:
Limited Lifetime. Warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship.

Now we can eliminate all but 4, Moog/SKF/AcDelco/Raybestos

Moog: $107.99
Raybestos: $113.89
SKF: $114.79
AcDelco: $165.79

I take a look at the photos to see if there is anything I dont like(Bearing Dia for example), but looks like these 4 are good.

FWIW: The OE ACDelco model is listed, ACDELCO FW453 (84356639) which appears to be made by ILJIN in Korea (Ebay link for actual part photos). Is listed as OE equipment.

Out of all the choices, Id likely choose OEM ACdelco since the price spead isnt that large, and the OEM got you 167k. If I had to choose other than OEM id likely pick the Moog as its the cheapest of the "good" bunch

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back