40k mile OCI pics

I have a case of that very same oil that I haven't used yet....my Fords take 20wt....I may run it in my Corolla or daughters Elantra but its even on the thick side for them. No way I'd ever go 40k though....

Originally Posted by JoelB
I just dont understand the point of doing this.

Perhaps a good example of "attentive neglect?"

As several previous posters have suggested, it would take a good UOA before anyone can conclude anything except that this is just an odd form of gambling. No way of telling whether this plan actually comes close to making sense in this application, or whether pitzel is just the luckiest member of BITOG ever.

Or maybe, tongue firmly in cheek, this finally explains why GM let the bad intake gasket issue live for so long in the 60 degree V-6 family -- they realized the engine is so robust they had to build-in a way for them to die so they could sell more of them. . .
wink.gif

I shake my head at the naysayers, and those claiming not to understand the point. What's the best reason for Pitzel to do this?... Because he can!!! He's not hurting anybody and it's just plain interesting to see what will happen. Judgemental responses, like the ones in this thread, are driving me further and further towards becoming libertarian.

These pictures were taken prior to doing any wiping. I feel so confident about the 40k mile oil change that I actually saved this 40k mile oil that I drained and will be adding it back in when I reassemble everything.

Any questions? Feel free to ask. But let this be a lesson that there's nothing wrong with 40k mile oil changes in engines for which it is appropriate. The "official" oil change spec on this engine, BTW, was 7500 miles.

[/quote]

33.gif

Impressively clean for almost 60k on an oil change, I'd expect more varnish. Not a lick of sludge in there!

Originally Posted by Yuk
I shake my head at the naysayers, and those claiming not to understand the point. What's the best reason for Pitzel to do this?... Because he can!!! He's not hurting anybody and it's just plain interesting to see what will happen. Judgemental responses, like the ones in this thread, are driving me further and further towards becoming libertarian.

Good point. Also, aside from all the questions and judgment, this is perhaps the best (OK, maybe least questionable) vehicle for such an experiment. It has already substantially depreciated, and Pitzel knows well, as the rest of us should, that this is a vehicle that could be economically "totalled" at any time by virtually any mid-range or downright expensive repair bill. He said as much at least twice. Would I try the same thing? Well, I didn't with the old 04 Prius. . . But as Yuk suggests, it's his car, his money and therefore, his choice. My hat's off to Pitzel for his willingness to weather the scorn of the BITOG oil compulsives and post the results anyway.

Any angst from members is from pitzels comments in other threads that changing oil too often will ruin a engine.

As always, he is free to do what he wants. In return he should allow others to do what they want with their oil change routine.

Originally Posted by Yuk

Yep why not just live and let live.
The top end looks fine by the way.

Before selling her 2003 Odyssey, my wife's Aunt went 3 years and ~30,000 miles w/o changing the oil, just top ups every time the dash light came on. Still ran like a beast. The new owner was well aware of this and still owns the vehicle, two years on. Thanks for the thread, OP.

Originally Posted by akela
Hmm. I think when the oil is drained from the sump, it inevitably gets contaminated with silicon particles: dirt, dust, etc.

Is there a good way to filter the oil before putting it back?

I tried, with room temp it is pretty hard to filter anything fast enough, definitely not a 40k oil loaded with stuff. Dump it for new oil if concerned, or reuse and let the oil filter deal with the stuff otherwise.

Originally Posted by pitzel
Lubener said:
Maybe you saved $150 dollars on oil changes, but it did occur to you that maybe you wouldn't have to look for another car had you maintained it.

Not too sure how I could have stopped the rocker panels from rusting from the inside out, as happens on this era of GMs. But if you figure each oil change would cost me $50 (cash outlay on supplies + a modest amount for my effort), I've saved roughly 8 oil changes (w/7500 mile interval), or 23 oil changes (w/3000 mile interval) for between $400 and $1150.

Apply a 10% discount rate to such "cashflows" (ie: what a decent investment portfolio has returned since 2004), and you're looking at double those figures.[/quote
$50 for an oil change when you do it yourself and it takes 4.5 quarts?? And you're the guy who dropped his own pan, took pictures and posted them on Bob's The Oil Guy...so it's hardly an argument that you couldn't change the oil yourself or it'd waste too much of your time. Lol

It'd probably cost you $20 bucks tops for you to perform an oil and filter change in a car like that. And 30 minutes of your time

Last edited:
Guys and gals -
Some of you are missing the point here. This is an experiment.
Generally, while most of us would agree this is not advisable to do, it's not ended in catastrophe; 60k miles with no BP filter is somewhat of a risk, but it ain't broke yet.
And yet, there's no signs of horrid destruction. Admittedly we'd like to see a UOA.
But the point is that those whom pontificate would predict certain doom are now somewhat confounded because the engine has not exploded.

I see value in this. While it's not advisable, it's at least anecdotal evidence that most products are far more capable than the average BITOGer would want to admit.

I personally have run ST dino oil out to 15k miles, with MC FL400S, under soccer-mom severe use in my wife's old Villager. And yet after a few of those OFCIs the UOAs were perfectly normal and the under-valve-cover evidence was clean as a whistle. I routinely run 10k mile OCIs with normal filters and the UOAs and visual inspections always come back fine.

Maybe, just maybe, the point to something like this is acknowledging that most of you anal-retentive folks who OFCI every 5k miles with syn lubes and syn media filters are just a bit over zealous? What we hear often is that it's "cheap insurance" to do really short OCIs and use super premium lubes and filters. Well, folks, the evidence shows that most any normal product is FAR, FAR more capable that what you believe.

And this little experiment is just proof that the extremes are not as terrible as you'd first think. I don't think any same person would walk away from this believing that 60k mile OCIs is prudent. But the point to learn here is that if you're running a 7.5k mile OFCI plan, and you accidentally over-run your OFCI by a few thousand miles, you can still sleep at night knowing your engine isn't going to explode in the driveway.

Not much science going on with no data. "It didn't blow up" isn't a great conclusion to a scientific paper.

Originally Posted by daves87rs
While it is cool to see, I just can't see not changing it every 10k or so...

What kind of car does that 3.1 belong? Wanted to say cavalier or Lumina....

Yeah, a Cutlass Supreme, attached to a 4T60. But same motor went into certain Cavaliers, Luminas, Grand Prix's, Buick Regals, Berettas, and even low-end Camaros and S-10s I believe.

The Camaro used the 3.4, 3.6 & 3.8 V6 and the S10 used the 2.8 and 4.3 V6.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dnewton3
Guys and gals -
Some of you are missing the point here. This is an experiment.
Generally, while most of us would agree this is not advisable to do, it's not ended in catastrophe; 60k miles with no BP filter is somewhat of a risk, but it ain't broke yet.
And yet, there's no signs of horrid destruction. Admittedly we'd like to see a UOA.
But the point is that those whom pontificate would predict certain doom are now somewhat confounded because the engine has not exploded.

I see value in this. While it's not advisable, it's at least anecdotal evidence that most products are far more capable than the average BITOGer would want to admit.

I personally have run ST dino oil out to 15k miles, with MC FL400S, under soccer-mom severe use in my wife's old Villager. And yet after a few of those OFCIs the UOAs were perfectly normal and the under-valve-cover evidence was clean as a whistle. I routinely run 10k mile OCIs with normal filters and the UOAs and visual inspections always come back fine.

Maybe, just maybe, the point to something like this is acknowledging that most of you anal-retentive folks who OFCI every 5k miles with syn lubes and syn media filters are just a bit over zealous? What we hear often is that it's "cheap insurance" to do really short OCIs and use super premium lubes and filters. Well, folks, the evidence shows that most any normal product is FAR, FAR more capable that what you believe.

And this little experiment is just proof that the extremes are not as terrible as you'd first think. I don't think any same person would walk away from this believing that 60k mile OCIs is prudent. But the point to learn here is that if you're running a 7.5k mile OFCI plan, and you accidentally over-run your OFCI by a few thousand miles, you can still sleep at night knowing your engine isn't going to explode in the driveway.

AMEN! Preach on brother! I'm with you every word.
I used to drink the coolaid, and use all the high dollar "wisdom", but finally realized, like most things in life, the truth lies somewhere in between. Oil seems to be one of only a few commodities in our life that is over engineered
So I've learned to back off to a more realistic approach. I don't use Redline or Amsoil, not saying they're not great, nor will I go 40k ocis, just a more reasonable approach, that will yield the same results.
I say a big thanks to the OP for giving use, even one data point, to show that it didn't grenade!

Originally Posted by bubbatime
I will, although it likely will be junked for other reasons prior to that. But at least there will be a bunch of $$$ saved in my pocket from not doing a bunch of (probably) unnecessary oil changes.

Bunch of money saved? Lets do the math.

$40 - Synthetic oil change with a new oil filter
$15 - three quarts of synthetic makeup oil
$12 - two additional oil filters at 15k mile intervals
$5 - one quart of oil for lost oil when changing oil filters

$72 - total cost for 40K miles for synthetic oil and filters

$20 - store brand conventional oil with a filter every 10K miles

$80 - total cost for 40K miles for conventional oil and filters

So basically over the course of 40K miles, you saved a WHOPPING $8 dollars with this ridiculous experiment vs changing your oil every 10K miles with conventional oil. And if you are going to argue that an 40K mile oil change interval with synthetic is better for your engine than a 10K mile interval with conventional, I will HIGHLY disagree with you.

Take it easy there Bucko .What a prude

Back