Briggs and Stratton 492932S , Wix 51056 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
B&S 492932S and Wix 51056 cut open. FIlters are used on a Briggs and Stratton Intek vtwin of 22 hp.
The Wix seems to be a better filter, and cost $5 more on average. Must more filter media, a proper bypass valve.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And so many people keep saying that a thread end bypass leaves less room for media. This disproves that theory. Now we have facts. Thanks for taking the time to post these up.

Originally Posted by 69Torino
And so many people keep saying that a thread end bypass leaves less room for media. This disproves that theory. Now we have facts. Thanks for taking the time to post these up.

69Torino, I was going to type something similar, but you beat me to it.
thumbsup2.gif

RC, thanks for the C&P.

My thoughts too

The Wix is a larger filter.

The Briggs looks good to me, I'd use it but for me I use Purolator at it's much cheaper and easier to find at the parts stores and Walmart.

Yes the Briggs is slightly shorter and in theory has less filtering material and easier to clog but realistically the engine holds roughly 2 qts or so and you're changing it most likely every 50-100 hrs so it should get changed fairly often before those problems start to rise.

Originally Posted by dwendt44
And the Fram 3614 has even more media and is $4 at Wal-mart.
The SuperTech 3614 is $3.

This because looking at those filters my feeling is both of them should cost less than $5.
How many hours were on those filters by the way any idea at all?

Uhh, the Wix is taller. Its not a "forget that wix because ..." its just something to be aware of on cars that use "tiny" filters.

just noticed the B&S media looks denser. Like synthetic blend media thicker ...
Hard to tell.

One case ... not always true as has been shown in the past with passenger car spin-ons with the same sized cans.

Good point, the medium goes around the valve with no loss of medium height on these type metal valves.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by dwendt44
And the Fram 3614 has even more media and is $4 at Wal-mart.
The SuperTech 3614 is $3.

This because looking at those filters my feeling is both of them should cost less than $5.
How many hours were on those filters by the way any idea at all?

Both filters have about 100 hours on them, or 1 full season. They have been sitting in my filter drain box for 2 years now. I still have them so I might cut open the media to compare.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth

Good point, the medium goes around the valve with no loss of medium height on these type metal valves.

That is Incorrect. For an example of compromise and insufficient media, Look at the wix/ napa 7712 it only has 44sq inches of media (288sq cm)

Wix, They have been listening I see some small cans with dome end poppet valves appearing - or - its just another OE source reboxed.

another example of compromise:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3917089/wix-51356-cut-open

Last edited:
I had a bunch of unused filters left when I sold my 97 Tacoma so I was pleased to discover the same filter fit my mower. B&S suggests 25 hour oil changes and 50 hour filter changes and I have been keeping that schedule for about 15 years now. One thing I like about the Purolator filters is that they are white so I can write on them with a Sharpie and easily read the hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back