18 Accord 2.0T bogging

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on a trip to San Antonio yesterday and had pulled of the for a break at a gas station. Went to get back on the highway by a on ramp. Gave it some gas and the car started to rev then bogged down to 1200 rpm and 40mph tops with engine light flashing. Got off the highway onto service road came to a stop sign completed my stop started again and it was struggling to go 10 mph tops at 1200 rpm no more. My guess in went into safe mode. Ended up getting a tow to a dealership in Fort Worth and the scan and mult test drives came back empty. No codes thrown or saved. So we continued the rest of the trip no hick ups.

Today made our way back stopped got gas at a large clean Shell Gas. Left there and started on the on ramp and same thing happened. I pulled off and turned the car off waited a few mins and turned back on everything was fine. Got back on the highway 10 mins later was passing a car inside lane gave some gas and the same thing happened. Had to cross 3 lanes of traffic to exit. I had 300 miles lef to go before I got home so called and had it towed to Waco Honda Dealership. But super frustrating for a 1 year old car to be doing this.

Part of the OBDII system after filling up is to check the integrity of the fuel tank vapor loss system. This is often accomplished by opening an "evaporative purge solenoid" which creates a vacuum in the tank and checks the cap and system for leaks. A failing evap purge valve can cause the fuel tank to remain under vacuum and collapse the tank. Perhaps this is happening. If it happens again, open the gas cap and see if it's under a lot of vacuum. If so, drive with the cap loose (which will set an emission CEL, but allow you to drive) until you can change out the evap solenoid.
A saturated charcoal canister will exhibit similar results. Are you "topping off" the tank when you fill? If so, don't do that as you are adding fluid to the charcoal canister when it is only supposed to capture vapors.
The wiring in the in-tank fuel pump can burn or become heat damaged if you are running the tank very close to empty. Perhaps try filling at 1/4 tank if you are going very low.

Last edited:
That's me in the thread. Im the second one with the issue. Thanks for the possible fuel tank issue. I will have them take a look at it. The first time it happened I had a 3/4 tank left. The 2nd and 3rd time was right after fueling I did top off some.

I stopped topping off gasoline long ago. I knew someone who had a issue and it was traced to topping off. I stop at the first click.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I stopped topping off gasoline long ago. I knew someone who had a issue and it was traced to topping off. I stop at the first click.

I doubt its the cause of this issue but I dont top off either.. esp with the stupid capless gas tank system.

It stinks you're having problems with your new Accord. Hopefully, the dealer finds the issue quickly and you can enjoy your ride again.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Brolly

This is what was happening while in Drive and the gas pedal to floor. Video

What kind of sharing service do you use for video? I backed off.

The video doesn't help diagnosis, unfortunately. I would just let Honda deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back