Acura MDX oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently obtained a 2002 Acura MDX touring with very close to 300,000 miles. I'm looking for the correct/best oil type, or all that would be okay to use, as well as wondering this.. my step father has a great high end oil just sitting in his garage, however it is not a high mileage oil. Can I use this conventional oil safely in my vehicle? I'm under the impression that there is a much needed additive in high mileage oils that is not in low mileage oils. Something about some type of caps that benefit from the high mileage oils... If I were to go ahead and use the oil, would there be something I can do to ensure the cleanliness of whatever caps these are, or would it be okay to just use the oil.

Honestly, you're talking about a 17 year old vehicle with 300,000 miles, I'd just be happy it's still running and use whatever it calls for...whether that be a conventional 5w20 or whatever.

I wouldn't worry about using a high mileage oil, I don't think it's going to hurt anything or help anything. A high mileage oil will have conditioners in it to kind of add some suppleness to rubber gaskets and seals...but your engine is way past that point. If those 17 year old seals are original I don't think anything will help or hurt them...the rubber will be very hard and brittle at that point...nothing will bring it back. So I'd just change the oil and enjoy whatever you can from it.

That's pretty awesome that the vehicle made it to 300,000 miles, hopefully you can get another 100,000 out of it.

I've read great things in other forums about this particular model, specifically this year. It rides smooth, and shifts with an attractiveness I would have not expected it to in its old age. I hit 80 in the rain bringing it home from Bloomington. It handles better than my lancer sportback. Thank you for your insight.

I still use top-tier synthetics in my Maxima which is getting up toward 300k-- but then that car/engine doesn't burn or leak any noticeable amount of oil, so it's worth the investment.

My Odyssey on the other hand, goes through 1 quart every 1.5-2k or so, so I don't pay the extra money for synthetic that might go out the tailpipe or on the ground.

I think oil usage should dictate your choice of oil in this case. Nothing inherently wrong with using synthetic in an older engine with high miles, in fact it might do what synthetics do and potentially protect better, but if it leaks out, what's the point? In that case you might try high mileage for the seal conditioners. If that doesn't improve consumption or leaking, just throw the cheapest on-sale still-decent oil in that you can find. That's what I do in my Odyssey, it typically gets whatever good oil I find for the best price, and thanks to this site, I don't pay much for good oil. I typically use 5w-30 in my Odyssey (same engine family as your MDX), but I've tried everything from 0w-20 and 5w-40 and there's no dicernable difference in consumption or how the engine runs.

The main difference between a normal oil and HM oil is indeed the extra amount of seal conditioners. You can simply add in half a bottle of STP Oil Treatment to get some seal conditioners in there to make any normal oil an HM one. Then you can use a high-end oil like Mobil1 AFE 0w-30, made slightly thicker due to the STP (blue bottle) treatment half-dose.

Early Honda Pilots, the MDX, and Hondy Odyssey's have been great cars over the years. That 3.5L V6 was popular and should run forever with a few parts replaced now and then. Usually what bugs me about old cars is the pumps: Fuel, water, etc. which go bad at the worst times.

High mileage oil is mostly gimmicky. Usually they have additional seal conditioners but if you have a problem the real and lasting fix is to replace the leaking seal/gasket.The other distinguishing thing they do is add more detergent. Again if you did proper maintenance with non high mileage oil the engine will stay clean to begin with. I use high mileage synthetic oil every now and then but not exclusively (I have 246k miles). You can get more detergent than high mileage oils using boutique oils such as Redline, Amsoil SS, Motul or not so boutique like Pennzoil ultra platinum.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Early Honda Pilots, the MDX, and Hondy Odyssey's have been great cars over the years. That 3.5L V6 was popular and should run forever with a few parts replaced now and then. Usually what bugs me about old cars is the pumps: Fuel, water, etc. which go bad at the worst times.

Except transmission problems.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
What vehicle doesn't have transmission problems?

Hm oils from what I've seen via voa/uoa have more moly (hm oils always advertise as having more antiwear additives).

If it's not burning oil, I'd say Chevron Supreme or Mobil Super every 5000 miles. If it was burning oil I'd say the same thing especially since it would be cheaper. But any API SN 5W-30 should be fine.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
What vehicle doesn't have transmission problems?
Answer:
Honda Acura V6 of that time more than most others. CR, anecdotal, personal experience, Honda owners at job site. A misleading statement claiming "they're all like that" is just another excuse.

I run Motul Excess 5/40, 2007 mdx, 128k,

I run Redline D4 in trans and rear end.
Redline 75/90 in the transfer case

Change trans every 15k, and rear end every 30k. Very little metal on the magnet

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back