Trying Something New

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil in my truck today. She's sitting with 12k miles on the odometer, and I've already used my 2 free dealership oil changes (done at 3k and then at 7k miles).

I'm ready to start using this hoard of RLI 10w30 I picked up. And then I decided to add approximately 5oz of Archoil 9100. After the second OCI of this combination, I'll send in a sample for analysis.

IMG_20190407_131249.jpg

Wow, that's a salty OCI! You really did take the "no expense spared" thing to heart on your new truck, nice choices. Are you going to extend the intervals, or stick to OLM? I think it will be interesting to see your results either way!

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Wow, that's a salty OCI! You really did take the "no expense spared" thing to heart on your new truck, nice choices. Are you going to extend the intervals, or stick to OLM? I think it will be interesting to see your results either way!

Actually, not really that SALTY. The RLI was purchased on Amazon for $24.24/gallon. So with a 6 quart sump, that's $36 for oil. BTW, I got 8 gallons (all they had) at that price. It's now listed at $68/gallon on Amazon.

The Royal Purple filter I got from Summit Racing for $12. Plus, I plan on getting at least 2 OCI's out of these filters.

And the 16oz bottle of Archoil was $40, I used 1/3 of it, so that was $13

So for a REALLY nice oil change, I have $61 in it. Not that bad really. Considering I could have bought a decent oil from Walmart for $35 (M1, Pennzoil, Valvoline, etc.), and a $9 Fram Ultra for a total of $44. For me, that extra $17 is worth the "excitement".

As far as intervals go....I'm not sure. I know the Archoil gives a big TBN boost, so I'm sure that I have plenty of "room" to extend it. The OLM gets down to around 10% at 5k miles...which is a little disappointing. But maybe it's assuming that I'm actually using this 1-ton truck in Heavy/Severe Duty situations. That's NOT the case. I drive it around town: Go to work (I'm a Chemist) and go to the grocery store.

Last edited:
Our 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8l car requires DEXOS .

I buy it on sale or clearance . Last I bought was NAPA 100% synthetic DEXOS @ $ 4 a quart . I have also purchased oil on sale at AAP , with the speed perks discount .

I order 6 - 12 filters at a time from RockAuto.com .

Out 2006 Buick 3.8l does not call for DEXOS , so I have Shell 5W-30 purchased at Home Depot doe $ 10 a 5 quart jug . Filters at RockAuto.com .

I am an old man and drive like it . My Wife is a Senior , also , but does not drive as conservatively . :-(

I have no intrest in bio oil . I have no illusion I am going to " save the planet " .

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
The $68 price was what I was expecting, so yes, you got quite the deal!
smile.gif

After buying gallons for $25 each....it's gonna be hard to pay that kinda of price for this stuff. But I have 8 gallons (6.5 now) so I can afford to be patient and wait for a price drop.

I also have 3 gallons of their 0w30 that I picked up for like $37/gallon. I plan to mix some of this with the 10w30 to give me a "winter blend" when it gets cold here in Northern Indiana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back