Gross Mopar M-090

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a friend of mine stopped by in his pretty nice 2007 Ram 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi, asking me about brake noise. I diagnose the noise but can't get around how bad the engine sounds. I pull the stick, and nothing. No oil on it. I tell him I have some oil (Mobil 1 AP 5w-20) and a filter that fits (Super Tech ST16) on the shelf, I'll just change the oil. Check engine light is on with cylinder deactivation codes too. (MDS). Wonderful. So I drain 3 quarts of crude oil out and dump the Mobil 1 in, engine obviously sounds much nicer. Didn't clear the codes, I just key danced them.
Anyway.... don't think I can really blame the filter, it was used far past it's useful life.
Yes, it's torn. The nitrile adbv is hard as a rock and did not hold oil. There is sludge in the bottom. In the third picture you can see the media adhesive delaminating from the end cap. The media feels like burnt popcorn. But here are the pics anyway. For science.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
That's definitely abuse
crazy2.gif

Did you find out when the last time it was changed? And why he wasn't checking it???!!

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
That's definitely abuse
crazy2.gif

Did you find out when the last time it was changed? And why he wasn't checking it???!!

He can't remember. No sticker in the windshield. There is now lol. Insert dramatic eye roll here...

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Classic neglect.

Yup.

Amazing. All these notifications on modern vehicles and people STILL can't change it in a reasonable amount of time....

Yep. That much sludge in the oil filter will wake me in a cold sweat tonight. There is a tear in the pleat by the seam. It's covered by sludge. Self sealing I guess. I probably should call him back in a month or two, I bet that M1 will dislodge all kinds of junk and load up the new filter.

Originally Posted by JC1
+3 on abuse. Plenty of people don't look after easy stuff like this.

Wonder what under the valve covers looks like.

Probably similar to the dome end of the oil filter. If not worse.

Originally Posted by JC1
Wonder what under the valve covers looks like.

I can imagine like the inside of that oil filter.
eek.gif

Originally Posted by Miller88
I hate to say it, but if that engine expires ... it is going to be your fault in his mind ...

That engine is fine. The oil even still looks sort of brown, vs. "jet black"

I have seen oil filters cut open that look way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, worse than that!

Brake noise is a problem but 3 qts of used up oil in a 7 qt sump isn't haha....He was eventually getting around to dumping in a jug of supertech before engine seized. Amazing the beating a engine can take from guys like this

Originally Posted by Linctex
That engine is fine. The oil even still looks sort of brown, vs. "jet black"

I have seen oil filters cut open that look way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, worse than that!

Agreed. This was too long but I've seen far worse.

Last edited:
If the friend continues to ignore oil / filter changes , the engine probably will suffer a premature death .

Then , again , it may succumb to the salt monster first ?

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
I hope you had "the talk" with your friend.
09.gif

I did. Seems I have that talk with more and more people as time goes on.

A friend eh?

Looks like something dropped a deuce in that filter. I'll bet a beer he doesn't come back in 3k miles
smile.gif

Originally Posted by 69Torino
Originally Posted by Blkstanger
I hope you had "the talk" with your friend.
09.gif

I did. Seems I have that talk with more and more people as time goes on.

As manufacturers make maintaining their cars more DIY unfriendly people pay less and less attention. Their plan is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back