How many hours on lawn tractor oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering what you guys do ? My yard takes me about 6-7 hours about every 5 days to cut . I keep a chart and typically I try to change oil every 50 hours . I'm using mobil synthetic 10w30 . I have had it 7 seasons no consumption yet . I'd love to know how many miles I have on it , I need to replace front tires fairly soon .

You must have a very large yard and a riding lawn mower. On my rider I just have the easy drain kind of like a fumoto valve and drain the oil and refill. I would change the filter every 100 hours if you have one and keep doing the same 50 hour Mobil 1 synthetic changes. I would assume your mower is at least 17 horsepower.

You forgot the most important part... What engine? I believe most of the commercial grade engines call for oil every 100 hours. (vanguard, kohler command, kawi)

I would get a larger piece of OPE. One that would cut the seat time in half .
grin2.gif

Oil maybe once a yr .Check before EVERY use.

Last edited:
Well this is a Craftsman 48" inch deck not sure of the HP . I had a zero turn and it gave up the ghost years ago . I do need to go back to the zero turn style , it took about 2 or so hours off the cut time . My wife tells me I can't get one till this mower craps out . I keep telling her I can make it happen fast if need be . LOL . I have alot of equipment and really don't want to add another item without getting rid of something first .

First of all you messed up big time talking to the wife .. Sell the mower and buy another one . There is nothing as satisfying as telling a lie to the wife about a manly purchase. For example the other day I bought a new gun, the wife asked did you buy a new gun? I said no!. The wife said yes you did because the only time you bring a gun to bed is when you just bought a new one! Busted in a lie but well worth it.

Originally Posted by CT8
First of all you messed up big time talking to the wife .. Sell the mower and buy another one . There is nothing as satisfying as telling a lie to the wife about a manly purchase.

Yeah I'm with you , she caught on to that one years ago , I can't keep a straight face when I'm handing her a line of bull .

Last edited:
What engine?! The engine manufacturer specs the OCI, and also what oil grade to use per the operational temperature. This is their business and they do test this, should not be second guessed unless you're going to build your own engine and do your own testing.

With my 23HP Kawasaki (Hustler), I change the oil and filter twice a year, and it does 2 yards year-round. 1 is 1 acre, the other 2 acres, but it spends about 4 hours doing each yard each time. I use Valvoline Synthetic (VSP, now Advanced) 5W-30 SN (10W-30 conventional SL is spec), 2.2 quart capacity. Runs like a dream, and is still very clean when dumping. Why do I use the 5W? Well, I haven't had to use the choke even once in it's lifetime. Obviously I let it run a couple of minutes before straining it or mowing...

My Snapper tractor with a 24 hp B&S Vanguard twin calls for synthetic 5w-30. I change mine every 50 hours, but that's two years for me. Perhaps wait until October or November and try to find a a decent used ZTR mower when the landscapers are selling theirs. Most ZTRs with a Kawasaki motor are topnotch.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
My Snapper tractor with a 24 hp B&S Vanguard twin calls for synthetic 5w-30. I change mine every 50 hours, but that's two years for me. Perhaps wait until October or November and try to find a a decent used ZTR mower when the landscapers are selling theirs. Most ZTRs with a Kawasaki motor are topnotch.

I have a Kawassaki engine in my golf cart and I'm pretty happy with it .

Buy a Kubota zero turn. I have a ZD 326P, and have not had to do anything but change oil and filters for 8 years. They are expensive, but will finance them for 4 years at 0 per cent. Unbelievable piece of eguipment.

Wife just reminded me of the new Generac generator I had to have last fall . 17500 running watts and 26500 starting watts , it's a real beast , drinks gas pretty heavy even in idle mode .

My Cub gets the oil changed once a year regardless of hours because of the dusty conditions is is operated in. Average hours are probably about 15-20.

I have an older 1994 Gardenway Troybilt garden tractor with the B&S Vanguard 16 hp using a three blade 48' deck or a 38' two blade mulching deck.It currently has 600 hrs. on-the meter. I change the oil every year commonly around thirty (30) hrs. and the filter (3614) every other change. Just prepped it for the season today.

I changed oil and filter today in my 21HP B&S Craftsman 42 in cut. Last change was two years ago. Oil is M1 10-30 with MC FL910S filter, and the drain pan was very clean. Used no oil in two years.

I have an older Deutz-Allis which is the same as Simplicity, it has 18hp Briggs opposed twin and I try to change it every 2-3 months during the season, I changed it last season about a month before I stopped using it so I will use it for about another month and change it again, it doesn't have the oil filter and I believe Briggs says 25 hours without and then 50 hours with filter. I've used Chevron Delo 5w40, Delo 10w30, Pennzoil sae 30 but it currently has Rotella t5 10w30. I like the sae 30 but I feel that it's use is limited, I only like to run it in the heat of summer when I know it's going to be warm enough to use it, I don't like to use it at the beginning or the end of season especially winter if I have to move the mower with that oil in there which is why I like to change to a multi-viscosity oil beforehand.

First of all you messed up big time talking to the wife .. Sell the mower and buy another one . There is nothing as satisfying as telling a lie to the wife about a manly purchase.

It's easier to ask forgiveness than seek permission.

My 2¢

Originally Posted by Kjmack
Wondering what you guys do ? My yard takes me about 6-7 hours about every 5 days to cut . I keep a chart and typically I try to change oil every 50 hours . I'm using mobil synthetic 10w30 . I have had it 7 seasons no consumption yet . I'd love to know how many miles I have on it , I need to replace front tires fairly soon .

50 hours is what I would do too....6-7 hours to cut yard? You need to get something bigger, life's too short for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back