Not open for further replies.

Triple_Se7en

$50 Site Donor 2024
Not....
Auto Zone
Advance Auto
O'Reilly's
Pep Boys

Sure glad I didn't decide to drain the oil in my four month-old 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4 GDI first. I wouldn't want to re-use a used washer.
With millions of 2.4s on the road today (Kia/Hyundai), you would think auto part stores would stock these.

Every auto parts service worker behind the desk pointed me to where various washers are on the shelf. I haven't a clue which one fits my bolt, not without draining the oil first. Every service desk guy wanted to see my old one.
I'm not chancing a leak afterwards. So I will go to the dealer tomorrow. I suppose I could buy it from Kia, which is a shorter distance to my home.

Yeah the only place you can get a washer is the dealer, without some guess work. Doesn't really matter to me, I haven't changed my drain plug washer in 129,000 miles...but for the first 10,000 miles I was pretty excited and wanted to keep everything "factory fresh". That didn't last long. Lol.

I had a Lexus LS460 once and I went to the parts counter and asked for a washer figuring it'd be like 50 cents...it was $6 bucks! I laughed and said it was ridiculous. The parts guy says to me...it was $8 bucks last year, we didn't sell many of them so we dropped our price. True story.

Hyundai OEM filters (are supposed to) come with them.

They are 14mm (nominal) ID, 20.7mm (measured) OD, 2mm thick aluminum.

You can flip them over and reuse them once and they won't leak.

In my experience with a couple different H/K dealers, they'll either include the crush washer with an OEM filter purchase or they'll charge you somewhere between .50 and a dollar for one. If the dealer is closer, it might just be easier buying one from Kia with the applicable cross reference. As mentioned, you can use them more once.

I've used a Fumoto valve for over five years so that's no longer an issue or problem....but that's a whole 'nuther overly opinionated thread.

I applaud you for wanting to use a new washer although I don't find it necessary to use a new one each time I do an oil change. I do maybe 3 OC per washer. Ed

Yes, Autozone carries them. I just bought a pack of them. I personally have only had to replace drain bolt washers on the occasion I bought a car that has belonged to someone else. Otherwise, I suppose i am soft enough on them, I have used the same one on my protege for 11 years.

Originally Posted by MrMoody
Hyundai OEM filters (are supposed to) come with them.

They are 14mm (nominal) ID, 20.7mm (measured) OD, 2mm thick aluminum.

You can flip them over and reuse them once and they won't leak.

Thanks!

OP could photocopy his new washer so he has something to reference. Or just buy a bunch on ebay for cheap.

Depends, almost every automotive parts store around here has a whole rack of bolts and washers of all sizes.

Now NIssan drain bolts are the only exception. I have found they have this "rolled" crush washer of what appears to be a copper alloy.

And upon first application, I have found you had better torque it, then come back in another 30 minutes, and re-tighten to re-crush it.

I bought 5 from the dealer for a grand Total of $0.25

Last edited:
If it's not a crush washer they can be reused indefinitely I would think, copper washers can just be annealed.

I think "change the washer every oil change" started on cars with crush washers and then spread to every car to drum up business for parts departments. The washer doesn't even come off the drain plug on my car and the plug is like $8.

You see the same thing with non-TTY automotive fasteners. There must be high margin on hardware, especially if they are charging you $1 for a drain plug gasket.

Couldn't you just go to the hardware store and buy a washer of the correct size? I doubt they're anything special.

That said, I don't think I've ever changed one, and as long as your vehicle doesn't leak oil from the plug, I don't see any reason to.

Depends.

I remember back in the days of Kragen (CSK) and Grand Auto Parts around here, I could typically find boxes of various odds and ends including nuts/bolts, washers, plugs, etc. I haven't seen anything like it except maybe at hardware stores for other odds and ends. But it's easy enough to research exactly what's needed and match it up with the proper internal diameter. Mostly what they have now are assortments.

Hondas are 14 mm. Toyotas are 10 mm. Nissan 12 mm. Subarus have the biggest bolts I know of at 20 mm. I bought a whole bunch of copper automotive sealing washers (Made in German to boot) at Grainger a few years ago and still have bunch left. Not sure why I got the 12 mm ones (Nissan sized) since my folks take it for oil change specials now that cost less than I can install a filter and buy oil.

But yeah Dorman has them in at least one of their assortments although it could be fiber or copper. But worst case scenario is go to a dealer. I have no issues getting 14 mm I.D. aluminum crush washers from a Honda dealer. They're cheap (20 to 35 cents each) and I haven't found anything that works better for a Honda/Acura. Apparently a lot of Hyundai owners just go out and get Honda crush washers, which are functionally identical to Hyndai OEM crush washers but sell for more.

[Linked Image]

The exact Hyundai/Kia part number is 2151323001, but they're functionally identical to the Honda ones.

[Linked Image]

I buy them off Ebay. Change them every 2nd or 3rd oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back