Idiot motorcyclist rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ride myself.

The other day I saw yet again another crotch rocket rider pulling a long wheelie on a busy road.

Is it wrong to wish they would have a minor crash and possibly learn a lesson the hard way? Or maybe get stopped and busted for careless or reckless driving?

It just gives bikers a bad rap!

I don't see that ending in a minor way.

The idiots at any hobby give the good guys a bad name.

The best outcome would be "Felony endangerment" that leads to a few weekends in jail, 3 months without a license, a year of probation, and a fine big enough they have to sell the bike. Not so bad they lose their job, but enough to make them start adult-ing.

Originally Posted by eljefino
I don't see that ending in a minor way.

Well I was thinking more of a road rash and damaged bike thing. No serious injury.

I had two of them pass my Corvette a few years ago on an interstate in Illinois. Both of them passed me in the wheelie position going about 70 mph or more. All I can say is they really know how to ride those bikes. They don't really bother me when they do this however it looks extremely dangerous especially if an animal should come out of the ditch unexpectedly and get run over by the back wheel. Ouch!

Originally Posted by ZZman
I ride myself.

The other day I saw yet again another crotch rocket rider pulling a long wheelie on a busy road.

Is it wrong to wish they would have a minor crash and possibly learn a lesson the hard way? Or maybe get stopped and busted for careless or reckless driving?

Careful what you wish for ... what goes around comes around ... especially to you as a fellow motorcyclist. Bad karma thinking like that ...

Think about how many car / truck drivers have thought the same thoughts ( or worse ... ) about you. Because they do. You scare them, they can't see you, they hate the sound, you ride too fast, or too slow etc.

Life is too short to worry about that sort of stuff !

I like to do wheelies occasionally, but I never do them around other traffic, other than my wife or a select few others I've known for years, and may be riding with. Most of my riding is on lightly traveled two-lane roads.

Why wouldn't I do them in traffic? Well, It is illegal, and I know it can make some really angry, and in some instances want to retaliate or simply wish ill on me, as if it is some personal insult to them. Such as the OP has alluded to with this thread.

Originally Posted by atikovi
I'd rather have riders pulling a long wheelie on a busy road than soccer moms texting and talking on their phones on said road.

+1, or teenage girls texting/talking on phone. Give them a wide berth.

Is it wrong to wish they would have a minor crash and possibly learn a lesson the hard way?

Yes!

Or maybe get stopped and busted for careless or reckless driving?

This, except a motorcycle license is not required for transportation so I am fully in favor of license loss for 6 mos to a year because it's not just about their safety, is about the safety of everyone else on the road and the mental anguish and burden on friends/family when they wreck and get laid up and useless plus the expenses. Hospitals cost a shedload these days and even if they have insurance, "somebody" is paying for that.

The wheelies don't bother me in the least, the cage drivers are more horrible than ever though.

Mastery of a skill, such as the wheelie, is always impressive.

It's good to note that motorcycle accidents typically do not injure other motorists.

Nor are motorcycle accidents more common than other vehicle accidents.

In PA, of the 192 fatalities in 2016 involving motorcycle drivers or passengers, 174 (90.6 percent) were drivers and 18 (9.4 percent) were passengers. 0 fatalities to non motorcyclists.

While I can not do a wheelie, I think they're pretty cool lol. Yeah I agree it's stupid to do them on busy roads. Then you're just endangering others. But if you have full control of the bike and can wheelie when there is plenty of space, go for it. I'm all for it.

My only complaint with motorcyclists is they don't create the equivalent of a car space around them and don't drive "like" a car. Example: I once was turning from a parking lot onto a curved street...effectively a blind turn. It was close to a freeway exit ramp. Now if a car is coming off that ramp and turning right, no big deal. I am out of his way well on time. Once I was coming from this parking lot (a Home Depot) and a crotch rocket flew down the ramp and took a right. He gunned it, was going easily 60 by the time he saw me, half way into my turn from the lot. He hit the brakes and almost hit me, gave me a dirty look and sped off. Now I don't feel I was at fault. You as the motorcyclist should realize, you are in the city, turning onto a curved road. People don't expect your going to do 0-60 in half a block.

Another example is when they are doing 90 weaving in and out of traffic. I don't feel it should be my responsibility to keep an eye out for these morons. That's one reason I don't mind the Harley dudes....they are old and going slow in general.

Last edited:
Stuff happens. Often out of nowhere. Not all avoidable. Going down the road on the rear wheel is not having control of your vehicle It is hard enough keeping to a schedule without being hung up by idjits getting med-evac'ed

I ride myself.

Same as straight or loud pipes. All attitude and no sense
frown.gif

I ride and have for over 50 years. Had a few loud bikes and young pup. But soon grew tired of loosing my hearing. Bad enough on the job ...

Now I hate all jerks and show-offs. Just comes with growing up I guess ...

Went out for a nice ride today with the wife. We both pulled some wheelies, just for the sheer fun of it. Nobody else saw them... and we didn't wish harm on each other either...

Originally Posted by 02SE
Went out for a nice ride today with the wife. We both pulled some wheelies, just for the sheer fun of it. Nobody else saw them... and we didn't wish harm on each other either...
. Ya'll just plain scooter trash......!
whistle.gif

Yep, apparently both the wife and I are. We were both pulling wheelies on dirtbikes before we were 10. We still like to pull them on our dirtbikes, and also pull them on our Sportbikes. The general public never sees them, as we don't pull them while around any other motorists. And we know that there are those that REALLY get offended by others enjoying themselves, when it impacts them not at all. As some of the comments in this thread illustrate.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Yep, apparently both the wife and I are. We were both pulling wheelies on dirtbikes before we were 10. We still like to pull them on our dirtbikes, and also pull them on our Sportbikes. The general public never sees them, as we don't pull them while around any other motorists. And we know that there are those that REALLY get offended by others enjoying themselves, when it impacts them not at all. As some of the comments in this thread illustrate.

hey I could care less what you do for your"enjoyment" but going down interstate highways way over the speed limit or doing wheelies can and DOES affect people. Pull your head out of your a$$ for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back