BEST OIL FILTERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run only full synthetic Valvoline through my 2018 Hyundai Elantra SEL. Are there any better oil filters then my original Hyundai oil filter for my vehicle? I use Bosch on my 2016 Charger over Mopar.

Wix/NAPA
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Baseball17
I run only full synthetic Valvoline through my 2018 Hyundai Elantra SEL. Are there any better oil filters then my original Hyundai oil filter for my vehicle? I use Bosch on my 2016 Charger over Mopar.

I guess this thread will be moved to oil filters soon
smile.gif

I've ran M1-104A and Fram FPS9688 (same as Ultra XG9688 but cheaper) with good results, no problem found whatsoever.
The question is if you want to play safe during warranty period and use only OEM filters - up to you.
Member ZeeOSix has a nice chart on how a 99% at 20 microns filter keeps your oil better than a 40 micron filter - I can't argue with proven data, better filter keeps your oil way cleaner

filters.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Malo83
Wix/NAPA
cheers3.gif

This, however these adopted Hyundai's design. See my thread for pics.
BITOG link
So with this in mind, I'd say use WIX, NAPA Gold, or OEM Hyundai, whichever is cheapest.

WHY DOES EVERYONE WITH LESS THAN 200 POSTS THINK THAT THREAD TITLES ALL NEED TO BE CAPITALIZED?

Seriously though, Wix/Napa Gold, Fram Ultra & Tough Guard, and the OE filter all are great options. With your Hyundai, changing the oil at the manufacturer recommended interval with an oil that meets the required specs is going to be more important than the oil filter you use. As some of the more seasoned vets here will tell you, a great air filtration system is by far the best oil filter you can gift your car with. Keeping abrasive particles out of the oil in the first place is the best way to make sure your engine is given the best shot at a long, productive life.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
As some of the more seasoned vets here will tell you, a great air filtration system is by far the best oil filter you can gift your car with. Keeping abrasive particles out of the oil in the first place is the best way to make sure your engine is given the best shot at a long, productive life.

The oil filter is the only thing that keeps debris that does get in the oil out of the oil. Nobody has a down stream real time partical counter behind their air filter, nor real time counters measuring how many particals are generated by parts rubbing together or of carbon & soot particle blowing past the piston rings. So using a more efficient filter ensures that oil stays cleaner when it does become contaminated.

My factory-fill oil (Quaker State) is just now showing near-black color at 3K. So the OEM Hyundai filters work just fine. Fram Ultras for this vehicle 2.4 are about $11 at Walmart. I'm not spending that much for 5K OCIs.

If/when my oil turns black sooner as it ages (like 1-2K), then maybe I'll consider trappings rated at 99/20.

Originally Posted by Randy_R
I have a question about micron rating on Wix XP oil filters. There isn't any. On their non-XP they are rated 21. Any guesses?

The XP has a 35 rating and the regular Wix has the 21 rating. That is a massive size difference. Maybe that is why there is no info...

Originally Posted by Bill_W
I have a question about micron rating on Wix XP oil filters. There isn't any. On their non-XP they are rated 21. Any guesses?

The XP has a 35 rating and the regular Wix has the 21 rating. That is a massive size difference. Maybe that is why there is no info...

Thanks for that info. Where did you find that?

I cut one open and I'm impressed with its construction. I'm not worried about its micron rating. I figure its gotta be doing something.

With any quality regularly changed oil filter the engine will not die from wear related issues before something else goes. At 5K OCI on todays oils and a clean filter each time, you will have 100s of thousands of miles before wear is an issue.

Many other things on the engine likely to die first like plastic parts and rubber gaskets/seals. Unless neglected or abused you just don't see engines with the metal parts just flat wearing out like they used to.

Originally Posted by SlavaB
Originally Posted by Baseball17

I guess this thread will be moved to oil filters soon
smile.gif

I've ran M1-104A and Fram FPS9688 (same as Ultra XG9688 but cheaper) with good results, no problem found whatsoever.
The question is if you want to play safe during warranty period and use only OEM filters - up to you.
Member ZeeOSix has a nice chart on how a 99% at 20 microns filter keeps your oil better than a 40 micron filter - I can't argue with proven data, better filter keeps your oil way cleaner

Compare to the oft maligned Microgreen @ 17/16//14 and 18/17/15

UD

full-74451-18868-oil_analysis_report_2716_ford_fusion_page_001.jpg

full-74451-18870-oil_analysis_report_2717_ford_mustang_page_001.jpg

If your car is still in warranty OEM filters certainly keep down concerns by dealer / manufacturer when filing a claim. Even following the IOM which may run the oil changes to 10k miles or more the OEM filter was probably used in testing / validating. I'd say use OEM at least till the warranty is out.

Given the recent news I've been reading about Hyundai engines, I think driving a Toyota, Ford, or Mazda is the best oil filter.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
My factory-fill oil (Quaker State) is just now showing near-black color at 3K.

Color has nothing to do with the serviceability of the oil. It's a false premise to base a judgment of the condition of the oil on color.

You can find the "nominal" (whatever description Wix uses applies, they are not very clear) rating on the filter data sheets. I have found Wix filters with "nominal" ratings of 15, 19, 21, and 35 microns. Occasionally on the Napa website they will actually state a 99%@23μ, but it doesn't always seem to follow the nominal ratings, so I don't necessarily put 100% faith in that.

The most important thing an oil filter needs to do is not fail.I doubt that unless a filter fails the oil filter choice will not be the reason you rid yourself of the vehicle.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
My factory-fill oil (Quaker State) is just now showing near-black color at 3K.

Color has nothing to do with the serviceability of the oil. It's a false premise to base a judgment of the condition of the oil on color.

You can find the "nominal" (whatever description Wix uses applies, they are not very clear) rating on the filter data sheets. I have found Wix filters with "nominal" ratings of 15, 19, 21, and 35 microns. Occasionally on the Napa website they will actually state a 99%@23μ, but it doesn't always seem to follow the nominal ratings, so I don't necessarily put 100% faith in that.

Baloney!... in my situation anyways>
I've been changing oil and using SOPUS mostly, for 50 years now. The first 30 years were 3k OCIs, in a variety of vehicles, both old and new. All I need to do is look at used oil and can tell it's condition. Feel between the fingers - then smell, usually confirm what I just saw.
BTW..... not even a hint of gas-smell on the dipstick oil, or when driving. I may have bought me a GDI - one that was built nicely. My track record has been two good builds - one not good

Batting .667 with new vehicles. First & last owner of my vehicles. None have-had their engine tops off in 50 years. So please don't try to tell me otherwise.

Last edited:
First, it would have to be a spun microglass filter, anyone who thinks micron ratings hold up with paper filters I have some great swamp land to sell you that will make you a million dollars, and you will be the one to buy it, and give me a cash tip for doing so. Then you want to look at Flow, entry holes and cheese grater design really allows for good flow. Then, you might want a thick loose media that will flow great and hold contamination. The only one I know that does all of that is Royal Purple. You do give up stuff like everything else, for that great flow and thick loose media you do leave a bit of micron rating on the table, so there is an argument for something being better. Plus, you may want a higher psi bypass rating. So if you consider all of that, pick a spun microglass that suits you better if you are looking for other features over what RP has to offer. Wix XP tighter thinner media maybe give a better micron rating at first, some guys prefer that, spring bypass as well, doubles the psi to bypass, someone might prefer that as well. But for me it is RP, I put another brand also spun microglass and the truck had a warm idle tick, too restrictive. That was the old puro synthetic, don't know about the new one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back