NAPA website down, which parts site gives you fits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AAP is on crack cocaine. I am literally trying to type a part into the search box when a pop up box asks me if I want to save 10%. No, I want the better code from retail me not.

It seems to me that all auto parts retailers have websites that are difficult to navigate. It's as if it's by design as all have similar faults. NAPA, AZ, O'Reilly's, etc. I normally end up just calling my local store.

I use Amazon a lot due to choice and delivery.
The look up is not always correct so I have learned to do a little outside research and then order.
I recently bought a radiator for a 2004 Sentra; I ordered one but ultimately I could not wait for delivery.
I looked up the Denso part on the Denso website and ordered it on Amazon.
Amazon said it was not correct for the car...
Bigger and Denso quality; had it in 2 days. Under $60. Nice radiator.

Sure, Amazon let me return the 1st one when it came. It cost like $40 shipping...
But mostly I have had great luck with Amazon and Rock Auto.

Last edited:
Pep boys has a commercial website we are supposed to use to order parts. It takes forever to use and to find things. It's search is awful.

Say I want a heater core. I can't type in heater. I must type in HVAC heater. Same with an oil filter. Oil filter,filter won't work. I have to type in engine oil filter.

It's stupid

None really give me "fits", life's too short for that. Perhaps the worst 'automotive related' site I've checked out recently is DiscountTireDirect @ ebay. Pretty much useless to look up specific tire sizes, specific tires with specific brands. They show what they want to show you and that's about it. Otoh, both DTD and DT sites are fine. As I have little need for DTD@ebay, no biggie. Other tire sites seem to work well too.

I've quit using AAP ever since they got rid of the 40% off codes. I know they didn't happen all the time, but I would watch and then order a couple parts I knew would be eventually replaced.

Most of my "full price" parts are purchased off of Amazon, just for speed of delivery and ease.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Pep boys has a commercial website we are supposed to use to order parts. It takes forever to use and to find things. It's search is awful.

Say I want a heater core. I can't type in heater. I must type in HVAC heater. Same with an oil filter. Oil filter,filter won't work. I have to type in engine oil filter.

It's stupid

Yes they just don't really understand computing and the words user friendly. Rockauto is another one.

AAP's website goes "down" on a daily basis it seems. Always when you try and go 'back' a page or something like that. You can't leave the site and come back to fix that either. No way their site is that unreliable so I have to believe they have a glitch that drops a cookie in your browser that's causing that.

O'Reilly's website always wants to filter by vehicles it seems. I've wanted to browse ALL of the engine oil they offer and (at least in the past), it was awkward about not allowing non-vehicle specific results.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
O'Reilly's website always wants to filter by vehicles it seems. I've wanted to browse ALL of the engine oil they offer and (at least in the past), it was awkward about not allowing non-vehicle specific results.

I just typed oil and got this>>>>>> https://www.oreillyauto.com/motor-oil-search?q=motor+oil
You probably need to delete the vehicle from there system.

I never have too many issues. O'Reilly is my biggest complaint though. Using a phone, after searching for a part, it ALWAYS wants you to enter a vehicle. When you click the "Year" box, it shows the dropdown of all the years, but it ALSO brings up your keyboard to type it manually which covers the clickable options. I have to close my keyboard to click the correct year. Then the process repeats for make, model, trim, engine... Incredibly annoying. I've emailed them in detail about it, but that was almost a year ago. I see they valued my input.

The other small annoyances are all sites making you enter a vehicle to see if those shop towels fit
smirk2.gif
, AZ's site always forcing you to choose a store before searching anything... and O'Reilly's forcing you to choose a store to see a price, but that's at least more understandable.

I never have issues with AAP
21.gif

AAP's website goes "down" on a daily basis it seems. Always when you try and go 'back' a page or something like that. You can't leave the site and come back to fix that either. No way their site is that unreliable so I have to believe they have a glitch that drops a cookie in your browser that's causing that.

AAP is the worst. Always going down for maintenance or whatever.

Use incognito mode, and their website magically works again.

Originally Posted by BigD1

AAP is the worst. Always going down for maintenance or whatever.

Use incognito mode, and their website magically works again.
Makes sense with my comment that they drop a cookie that causes your browser to be "stuck" and getting the false error page. As I said, there's no way their website is that unreliable so there's clearly a different issue.

From what I have read, it does have something to do with Chrome and cookies.

I have not tried this yet, but it was suggested to do so. Edit: It works some what. Got back on the website with normal Chrome browser. Clicked one link, and it went right back to we are offline for maintenance or something like that.

chrome://settings/siteData

Delete all the Auto Advance cookies, and see if that works.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
None really give me "fits", life's too short for that.

Figure of speech. Not stark raving mad more like "annoying".

There are far too many sites like that. They have no need to know what vehicle I have when I'm looking for differential oil or brake fluid. Sure, it might help sometimes, but if their database is incomplete or wrong or overly rigid, it doesn't help. If I want to put DOT 4 brake fluid in my G37, it'll work just fine. So will 10w-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back