Fram XG12060 - GM 22psi spec Ultra coming soon!

Or just use an oversized filter with 50+ % more media to mitigate the potential of bypass events.

I was at the dealer yesterday for my regular service and mentioned I had a XG10575 on the car and that I wanted it back. I then asked them if this was a problem since it's the ATS V6 filter, which maps to the Champion COS10575 or COS10590 stash I have, and he said not at all. He said there would be no concern or warranty concern. I am going to email him to get it on record
grin.gif

I'm going to cut open a PF64 tonight and record the media area for comparison. I'm estimating the COS10590 has 50% more media.

LEADED Fram blew it said:
I put 190K miles on a Subaru using 15psi filters when Subaru called for 22 psi. Unless you run a filter 50K miles you won't have to worry about it. I use the Ultra in my '18XT Forester.

Originally Posted by Patman
Some people have mentioned being able to order the new XG12060 online but nobody has yet to see one in stores, even though it was supposed to be out in January. I thought I might find it at Walmarts in the US but I've checked a few now to no avail. I might just end up sticking with the NAPA Golds for a while.

One thing to remember is retailers only redo their shelving design and what products they will carry every so often. This issue is probably due to that not having been done yet. They cant just add a new product to the shelf. Im inquiring as to how often the oil filter mod is refreshed, as each area is different.

Last edited:
Problems, in the Field surface when IDIOTS run 10w 40 or a can of Hi VII instead of called for PCMO + add -20° temp & you have problems . Being rational is one thing . Being STUPID is another thing . Use whatever your heart desire .

I just scored a bunch of the new XG 12060 filters on eBay for about $7.00 each shipped! I bought whatever they had! The seller said they are getting a bunch more in.

Last edited:
I'm sick of hearing about this topic on here and elsewhere.

Running the FRAM 9-15psi pressure RV (figure 12psi is the average) will NOT hurt your engine which GM has designated a user of "only 22psi relief valves". Come people....COME ON. Use your high-powered brains.

What will actually hurt your engine???
- Running the WRONG OIL grade or type. Hard for the warranty people to prove you used wrong oil after your engine blows.
- Letting your oil level fall low (ex. several GM's drink oil, FYI). Hard to prove you're a slacker of a vehicle maintainer.
- Using crappy filters mostly from off-shore. Hard to prove what garbage you were running prior to the last filter you had on when the engine blew.
- Running your oil & filter too long. Hard to prove you're a slacker of a vehicle maintainer.
- Running low on coolant in hot months. Hard to prove you're a slacker of a vehicle maintainer.
- Not keep up with air filter changes (contamination only comes from engine wear, fuel & the intake air). Hard to prove you're a slacker of a vehicle maintainer.
- Using crappy air filters. Hard to prove you're a cheap-skate. And I don't see any bulletins about using the right air filter.
- Your drive-cycle (stop-n-go versus highway). Vehicle has to be designed around everyone including some outliers.
- Your right foot & it's relationship with the right pedal. Hard to prove you're a lead-foot.

IMHO...the warranty guys at GM are freaking out about warranty #'s and trying to deflect problems and $$$. Some manager has a task to lower the cost of warranty, likely. Writing a tech service bulletin costs $0 to GM, so even if one single engine warranty claim is avoided, GM is ahead of the game. It's dumb.

Sure the newer engines might be pushing oil a little faster with a little more pressure. But the normal operating range is pretty much the same. GM chose one simple numerical value from a bolt-on component as a focal point so as to divert warranty claims. It's simple and really really easy to prove.

What GM doesn't tell you is the NET EFFECT of the filter as a NET FILTRATION SYSTEM. Sure the GM pressure RV might open a little earlier, but the retail FRAM/Wix/Puro media is probably higher efficiency (stops more dirt) than the GM filter. So what's worse...

[A] the valve opening a tiny bit sooner in very rare cases over the course of the 5k-10k the filter is on your vehicle

-OR-

the constant lower efficiency performance of the crappier GM media that is performing less under all conditions and scenarios??

The BIG3 are also switching over to thinner oils and variable displacement pumps on engines with higher combustion temps and pressures. So your engine doesn't have any "oil protection insurance" like it used to, and there are more evil forces there to act against your lubrication system than ever before. OE engineers are only letting your engine have juuuuuuuuuuuust enough oil so they can meet their efficiency and EPA emission targets. And it's at the cost of the extra layer of protection the engines once had. FACT.

The reason FRAM and many other popular brands (Wix, Purolator, Luberfiner, etc) have a consolidated offering is because of [#1] lack of shelf space at the retail stores to carry OEM-matched sizes, and [#2] the consolidations are made without any impact to performance of warranty concerns.

Originally Posted by DudeNiceRide

Running the FRAM 9-15psi pressure RV (figure 12psi is the average) will NOT hurt your engine which GM has designated a user of "only 22psi relief valves". Come people....COME ON. Use your high-powered brains.

What will actually hurt your engine???
- Running the WRONG OIL grade or type. Hard for the warranty people to prove you used wrong oil after your engine blows.
- Letting your oil level fall low (ex. several GM's drink oil, FYI). Hard to prove you're a slacker of a vehicle maintainer.
- Using crappy filters mostly from off-shore. Hard to prove what garbage you were running prior to the last filter you had on when the engine blew.
- Running your oil & filter too long. Hard to prove you're a slacker of a vehicle maintainer.
- Running low on coolant in hot months. Hard to prove you're a slacker of a vehicle maintainer.
- Not keep up with air filter changes (contamination only comes from engine wear, fuel & the intake air). Hard to prove you're a slacker of a vehicle maintainer.
- Using crappy air filters. Hard to prove you're a cheap-skate. And I don't see any bulletins about using the right air filter.
- Your drive-cycle (stop-n-go versus highway). Vehicle has to be designed around everyone including some outliers.
- Your right foot & it's relationship with the right pedal. Hard to prove you're a lead-foot.

IMHO...the warranty guys at GM are freaking out about warranty #'s and trying to deflect problems and $$$. Some manager has a task to lower the cost of warranty, likely. Writing a tech service bulletin costs $0 to GM, so even if one single engine warranty claim is avoided, GM is ahead of the game. It's dumb.

Sure the newer engines might be pushing oil a little faster with a little more pressure. But the normal operating range is pretty much the same. GM chose one simple numerical value from a bolt-on component as a focal point so as to divert warranty claims. It's simple and really really easy to prove.

What GM doesn't tell you is the NET EFFECT of the filter as a NET FILTRATION SYSTEM. Sure the GM pressure RV might open a little earlier, but the retail FRAM/Wix/Puro media is probably higher efficiency (stops more dirt) than the GM filter. So what's worse...

[A] the valve opening a tiny bit sooner in very rare cases over the course of the 5k-10k the filter is on your vehicle

-OR-

the constant lower efficiency performance of the crappier GM media that is performing less under all conditions and scenarios??

The BIG3 are also switching over to thinner oils and variable displacement pumps on engines with higher combustion temps and pressures. So your engine doesn't have any "oil protection insurance" like it used to, and there are more evil forces there to act against your lubrication system than ever before. OE engineers are only letting your engine have juuuuuuuuuuuust enough oil so they can meet their efficiency and EPA emission targets. And it's at the cost of the extra layer of protection the engines once had. FACT.

The reason FRAM and many other popular brands (Wix, Purolator, Luberfiner, etc) have a consolidated offering is because of [#1] lack of shelf space at the retail stores to carry OEM-matched sizes, and [#2] the consolidations are made without any impact to performance of warranty concerns.

Why don't you put in your resume with GM. You have all the knowledge they must be lacking. Let me know if you get a reply from them, ok.
lol.gif

Last edited:

z

Bottom line is if you build a decent quality product you aren't going to have warranty issues. They have one goal maximize profit and push the problems like LSPI off on the customer.

These newer variable volume oil pumps save around 1/4 HP at near full output, which probably gives about an additional 0.005 mpg. The majority of cars on the road don't put out 8~10 GPM of oil volume anyway, even at near redline. So using a variable volume oil pump on most of these cars isn't really making much difference at all, except to complicate the oiling system.

I think GM is ultra paranoid of filter bypass events because they had a few instances where sloppy manufacturing left metal debris inside the engine that got past the oil filter. IMO, it has little to do with their oiling system or how the oil pump controls maximum pressure (ie, the location of the 'feedback pressure sensor' as described in their TSB). Any positive displacement oil pump (including the computer controlled variable volume pumps) will flow out their maximum capable volume until the pressure sensor kicks in. If the pump pressure control sensor is down stream of the oil filter instead of at the pump it might make the pump reduce flow about 1/2 second faster. The higher filter bypass valve setting might make a difference in very cold climates on cold starts. Another thing to realize is when an oil filter uses a very high bypass valve setting, the media and center tube better be able to take the extra delta-p forces and not fail.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Another thing to realize is when an oil filter uses a very high bypass valve setting, the media and center tube better be able to take the extra delta-p forces and not fail.

^This.
grin.gif

Just found an ebay listing for the new XG 12060 filters.

Go to ebay and search for XG12060 and they are: $49.95 for a 6 pack of filters delivered.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by webfors
Or just use an oversized filter with 50+ % more media to mitigate the potential of bypass events.

The synthetic media of the XG10575 (no matter what color plastic button in the bypass) flows so well, the likelihood of a bypass event is near nil anyway.

Some people worry far too much about things that need to not be worrying about...........

I finally spotted this filter in the wild! I saw it at a Canadian Tire near my house, it's ridiculously priced at $16.99 Canadian, but it'll go on sale for 25% off quite often and when combined with Triangle bonus points it'll end up being roughly the same price as what it would cost me to buy in the US. Now I just need to decide if I want to run this filter on my Corvette in the future or stick with the NAPA Gold.

Originally Posted by Patman
I finally spotted this filter in the wild! I saw it at a Canadian Tire near my house, it's ridiculously priced at $16.99 Canadian, but it'll go on sale for 25% off quite often and when combined with Triangle bonus points it'll end up being roughly the same price as what it would cost me to buy in the US. Now I just need to decide if I want to run this filter on my Corvette in the future or stick with the NAPA Gold.

They've been out for awhile now, but the problem is most stores don't carry it. I have no clue why.

Last edited:
Got this from a friend that works at a GM dealership.

Service Information Home Publications Number Search New Bulletins Bulletin Search Feedback TIS2Web Help
2019 Chevrolet Blazer | Blazer Service Manual 12458766 | Document ID: 5222817
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#19-NA-020: Information on Improved Replacement Spin-On Oil Filter UPF63R for High Feature V6 Engines - (Feb 4, 2019)
Subject: Information on Improved Replacement Spin-On Oil Filter UPF63R for High Feature V6 Engines

â€

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brand:
Model:
Model Year:
VIN:
Engine:
Transmission:

from
to
from
to

Buick
LaCrosse
3.6L (LGX)

3.0L (LGW)

Regal

Cadillac
ATS

CT6

CTS

XT5

Chevrolet
Blazer

Camaro

GMC
Acadia

â€

Information
Today's engines have very tight tolerances, multiple oil pressure control systems and high flow lubrication system requirements. These requirements will vary based on the specific engine design, so the proper match of oil filter to the engine application is more important than it has ever been in the past.

The High Feature V-6 engines RPO (LGX) and (LGW) have higher oil pump pressure to accommodate engine cam phasing and high-speed bearing requirements. As a result, the oil filter performance was improved to meet this higher oil pressure output.

The new UPF63R oil filter has a thicker outer shell to provide higher burst pressure resistance during cold temperature conditions and greater fatigue strength. Failing to use this filter could result in external oil leaks due to gasket blowout or wrench flute cracks.

Any time an oil filter is changed on one of the above vehicles, it is recommended to use the new and improved filter.

Parts Information
Refer to the Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC) to determine the proper part numbers for your specific application.

Canadian Tire has the Ultra filter on sale right now for 15% off, plus my Triangle card gave me 25X the bonus points (in total I saved at least $5-6 on it) so I decided to grab one for my Corvette's next oil change (which will be almost another year away but I like to be well prepared)
laugh.gif
I went to the same store that I spotted it at last week and noticed that I'm not the only one buying this filter as I think they had 7 or 8 XG12060s but there were only 3 left on the weekend. I went to a different CT location closer to my house first and they didn't carry this one at all yet, so for anyone looking for one you might have to try a few stores before you find one that carries it.

Back