How far south is diesel winterized?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was filling up at a Phillips 66 on the Kansas Turnpike a few weeks ago and saw that they had winterized diesel. No surprise there, but their winters aren't terribly harsh in southern Kansas.
This made me curious: how far south is diesel generally winterized? I know that it is in the Nebraska/Iowa/Illinois/Indiana/Ohio band, and I'd expect it in the Kansas/Missouri/Kentucky/West Virginia band. But where do most stations tend to stop winterizing diesel, generally? Is it the Tennessee/ northern Arkansas/Mississippi/Alabama/Georgia band? Or do you have to get farther south than that, to near the Gulf Coast/ Deep South? Anyone know? It seems to matter because a person could conceivably drive from Dallas to Omaha on a tank of fuel and have problems if what they got wasn't winterized. Just curious what peoples' experiences were on the matter and if anyone had a good idea of where the general trend/line is drawn. Thanks!

It could be winterized nationwide since trucks can go 1000+ miles on a single tank, taking someone from Florida to New York

Well and how do they do it now? They used to add a bunch of kerosene but that cut BTUs and power. They can add anti-cloud chemicals that don't, as much. But what if it's just refined better to begin with now? The stuff we call diesel isn't what it was 30 years ago.

What I'm saying is, and to add to your question is, is normal diesel good enough to be considered winterized? Or is the price spread so minor now they just send winterized diesel far and wide for logistic reasons?

Originally Posted by eljefino
Well and how do they do it now? They used to add a bunch of kerosene but that cut BTUs and power. They can add anti-cloud chemicals that don't, as much. But what if it's just refined better to begin with now? The stuff we call diesel isn't what it was 30 years ago.

What I'm saying is, and to add to your question is, is normal diesel good enough to be considered winterized? Or is the price spread so minor now they just send winterized diesel far and wide for logistic reasons?

I was going to say the same thing...

There are store-bought additives that provide some level of winterization at pretty low treat rates, then there is cutting with kerosene, which can be a pretty substantial fraction.

I'm not sure if there is an industry standard definition?

My impression was that one cut their diesel with clear, undyed kerosene (to indicate road tax paid, versus the red stuff), according to the anticipated conditions and their manual.

Originally Posted by JHZR2

My impression was that one cut their diesel with clear, undyed kerosene (to indicate road tax paid, versus the red stuff), according to the anticipated conditions and their manual.

This = Pittsburgh.

cheers3.gif

Last edited:
That makes no sense, Pittsburgh isn't very far south. So Cincinnati doesn't have "winter" diesel fuel?

Originally Posted by Rand
That makes no sense, Pittsburgh isn't very far south. So Cincinnati doesn't have "winter" diesel fuel?

Yeah, you're correct.
My apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back