Bicycle tubes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not remember as a kid bicycle tubes losing 10 to 20 lbs after a week of sitting in the basement, but our new bikes lose about 20 lbs every 7 days..whats up with that, bike shop said its normal,, amazing, any thoughts on this ??

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
I do not remember as a kid bicycle tubes losing 10 to 20 lbs after a week of sitting in the basement, but our new bikes lose about 20 lbs every 7 days..whats up with that, bike shop said its normal,, amazing, any thoughts on this ??
When I would run my road bike tires at 120 psi they would deflate pretty quickly. Once a week sounds about right although last time I road a bike daily was a decade ago. You could always tell they were deflated just by looking at the tires as you rode. I inflated my tires often enough that I bought a quality bicycle pump.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
When I would run my road bike tires at 120 psi they would deflate pretty quickly. Once a week sounds about right although last time I road a bike daily was a decade ago. You could always tell they were deflated just by looking at the tires as you rode. I inflated my tires often enough that I bought a quality bicycle pump.

thumbsup2.gif
thanks for your response..

I did buy an electric air pump with a programmable setting so if I select 70 lbs it will pump to 70 and stop, really handy..

Loosing pressure is perfectly normal, and no it is not cheap Asian rubber that is the cause. If you want to see a tube that has to be inflated daily, go get a Michelin or Vittoria (European) latex tube. They are also more expensive and not as available as butyl rubber tubes. You will not find them at Wally's. But they result in a wheel with lower rolling resistance, so there are some people who prefer them.

Thicker tubes might loose less pressure, but they would add rolling resistance. If you rode back to back you could probably tell the difference, and you would prefer the thinner tubes. In the past, some people sold thicker "thorn proof" (they were not) tubes. Today "Slime" sells a very thin tube with a sealant in it. Both of these options will probably loose pressure more slowly than a conventional tube, but it is still a good idea to check the inflation regularly.

I have made it a point to check the pressure in my tires a couple times a week. I run fairly high pressure in my road bike, like 105 PSI in a 700CX25mm tire. Last year I put "Slime" tubes in my tires and they don't loose air as quickly, but I still checked them. This year I have switched over to tubeless. I checked them this afternoon and they were down to 80 PSI in about a week.

My mountain bike / winter commuter doesn't loose pressure as quickly, but it does loose pressure. The tires on it run at 30 PSI with Schwalbe butyl tubes in them for the winter tires and tubeless in the summer. Since the MTB doesn't go out as much in the summer, I check the pressure before each time I ride. On the tandem I run "Slime" tubes at 90 PSI in a 700C X 38mm tire. At home I check it a couple times a week. I carry a pump on tours and also check the inflation a couple times a week.

As far as I can remember, I have been checking inflation pressure in bicycle tires since the early 1980's. Compared to an automobile tire, they are very thin and the pressure is much higher.

I mountain bike six hours a week, if you're losing that much air from a tube I'd say it has a leak. Now if you were running tubeless I'd say yeah, that's normal, but with a tube? No. I can go weeks without really losing more than a couple pounds when using tubes, sounds like you have a little seapage going on and no that's not normal. My opinion.

Not really helping with your problem, but,
I bought a Bicycle Tube just so I have some thin rubber I can cut-up and use for projects around the house.
Comes in very handy.

Bicycle tubes for kids bikes are thicker and run at lower pressures.

I've been fighting that battle, keeping a small fleet of bicycles running for my family and a couple of spares for guests. I am really careful installing so I don't pinch the tube, I check the rim for sharps and intruding spokes, check for loose spokes (more likely to flex into the rim), etc. Yet often I will get a tube that holds air for less than one week. I have had better, but not perfect luck with Bontraeger (Trek's in-house brand), which I use because there's a local dealer.

I had a real head-scratcher last month. I put a blinking bling valve cover on the youngest's bike (delightful for them at that age) and within an hour the rear tire was flat. After a few iterations of refill, I had the time to pull the tube and test it in a bucket. Tube was last year's Bontraeger so I was going to try to return and exchange it.

The bling valve cap leaked air vigorously when installed, valve stem/tire fine when not installed.

Tried a conventional stem cap, no leak.

Bling valve has nothing that protrudes enough to engage the valve core. Valve core does not extend above stem top. Valve core fully seated.

Tire has held air for 2 weeks straight now. Front tire still has bling valve cap and also holds air just fine.

I am still scratching my head on that one.

You have to pump them up every week. Nothing new about this.
What is worse is that you can't seem to patch new tubes any more. The patches don't stick on the skinny high pressure tires.

Chinese tire valves are to blame.

I seem to get a couple weeks before having to add air, but I'm pretty oblivious when I bike--I'll pump to 100psi, and can tell it by the harsh ride, but as it slowly airs down, I'll be out two weeks and wondering why it rides so nicely now--and it's because I'm down to 60psi. Which is way too low for my 190lb carcass.

What's sad is that the only times I've blown a tire is after pumping up to 90-100psi and then biking, and hitting something good and hard. It probably would have pinch flatted anyhow, but so far, I've only flatted after running the max pressure. Go figure.

Buy a good tire pump for home, and a good frame mounted one too, and go from there.

I've been pretty happy with Continental tubes, but they are all pretty lame. You might want to try slime tubes which can self seal, but also can make a mess on your rim and tire.

I've had mixed results with Slime tubes. I put one on the back of my bike and it's holding up well. I put another on my wife's and had to change it out, leaked too fast. (I put them on the back because that's the hardest one to change on the road.)

I've just kept changing tubes until I end up with a mix that holds most of its air over a week. I was very happy this Spring when I looked over the family fleet, and while pressure was only 10-20 lbs on many of them, nothing was totally flat. I went through a lot of tubes last year getting to this point. I don't expect zero loss, but when the family fleet has 4 or 5 totally flat tires, it can easily add 30 minutes of pump-up time to the start of a ride.

Back in the day I had a "thorn-proof" on the back of the 10 speed which I ran at 95PSI. That was a good tube that held pressure very well, but wow was it heavy! Never had a flat with that tube.

Air leakage or seepage, what ever it is must be an on going problem in the bike tube market...our local bike shop says thats normal and he sells Cannondales and other brands there, what do I know....it is a nusance . We have a 120v/12volt airpump with a auto setting and that I set at 75 lbs for our street bikes,,,takes about 15 secs to pump up...we take it with us in the truck..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DangerousDan
Loosing pressure is perfectly normal, and no it is not cheap Asian rubber that is the cause. If you want to see a tube that has to be inflated daily, go get a Michelin or Vittoria (European) latex tube. They are also more expensive and not as available as butyl rubber tubes. You will not find them at Wally's. But they result in a wheel with lower rolling resistance, so there are some people who prefer them.

Clincher style tires, even the highest tread count ones,and even with a latex tube installed, are already so 'dead feeling' and unresponsive as compared to a good, latex tubed, tubular (sew-up, glued onto the rim) style tire that I REFUSE to use anything but these in a road bike wheel so equipped (even if I had to stop and pump them up every HOUR!!
lol.gif
).
wink.gif

The Vittorias seem to be somewhat more responsive than most, and I believe that Conti has stopped making latex clincher tubes altogether, but i may be wrong on that.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
... What is worse is that you can't seem to patch new tubes any more. The patches don't stick on the skinny high pressure tires.
That's partly because patches small enough to be appropriate for skinny tires are difficult (not impossible) to find. Big thick patches don't work well on narrow thin tubes. The bike industry mostly assumes anyone who rides skinny tires is too rich and lazy to patch a puncture, so will just replace the tube.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back