Tire Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know your suppose to go by the placard but this the second time now that a co-worker has told me they fill it to the max pressure. Does any here fill it to the max for normal driving?

My car's placard says 33 PSI. The tire manufacturer says 44 PSI at max load. From my experience, 40 PSI is perfect!

I use to run 35 PSI all the time, but 40 PSI sure tightens the car up!
smile.gif

It was discussed very recently in great detail.

My placard says 30 psi. Max tire pressure is 44 psi. I run 40 psi. The ride is much better, and I haven't observed any abnormal wear.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
My car's placard says 33 PSI. The tire manufacturer says 44 PSI at max load. From my experience, 40 PSI is perfect!

I use to run 35 PSI all the time, but 40 PSI sure tightens the car up!

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
My placard says 30 psi. Max tire pressure is 44 psi. I run 40 psi. The ride is much better, and I haven't observed any abnormal wear.

That's what I run as well. 40 to 42 PSI.

I run a little over too. Gives me some buffer room if I forget to check it for a month or two. I think my Sonata wants 33 and I always put in 37.

I run the placcard pressure, that's what the OEM tested and arrived at. The tire manufacturer has no idea what vehicle the tire is going on, they simply state the pressure at which the maximum weight rating of the tire is achieved, which is likely wholly irrelevant to the vast majority of vehicles the tire is a proper fit for.

Guess I am an anomaly. My car calls for 35 front, 42 rear. I run 33 front, 35 rear. The lower the pressure, the larger the contact patch, the more grip you have*.

*up to a point.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I run the placcard pressure, that's what the OEM tested and arrived at. The tire manufacturer has no idea what vehicle the tire is going on, they simply state the pressure at which the maximum weight rating of the tire is achieved, which is likely wholly irrelevant to the vast majority of vehicles the tire is a proper fit for.

Dead Right !

I run the placcard pressure, that's what the OEM tested and arrived at.

Same. The only one that gave any latitude about pressures was the Audi (and other German makes seem to do that) depending upon expected payload and/or speeds. Actually, in the winter, I add a few pounds to the G37 in the garage. It's supposed to be 33 psi cold. The garage is 10 C minimum in winter. I set it to 33 psi at 10 C and then go outside when it's -30 C, I'll have a TPMS warning in under one kilometre of driving. So, I set it at something like 36 or 37 psi for the bad part of the year (eight months I guess.
wink.gif
).

Originally Posted by Garak
I run the placcard pressure, that's what the OEM tested and arrived at.

Same. The only one that gave any latitude about pressures was the Audi (and other German makes seem to do that) depending upon expected payload and/or speeds. Actually, in the winter, I add a few pounds to the G37 in the garage. It's supposed to be 33 psi cold. The garage is 10 C minimum in winter. I set it to 33 psi at 10 C and then go outside when it's -30 C, I'll have a TPMS warning in under one kilometre of driving. So, I set it at something like 36 or 37 psi for the bad part of the year (eight months I guess.
wink.gif
).

Yes, my BMW was like that, had a variety of pressures depending on anticipated operating speed and load. None of those pressures approached sidewall though
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Garak

... The garage is 10 C minimum in winter. I set it to 33 psi at 10 C and then go outside when it's -30 C, I'll have a TPMS warning in under one kilometre of driving. So, I set it at something like 36 or 37 psi for the bad part of the year (eight months I guess.
wink.gif
).

Pressure drop is roughly 1 psi per 1 * C ... with a 40*C differential, you should be up at 41 psi garage pressure . At 36 psi garage, you are likely around 28 or 29 psi ambient. TPMS typically triggers at 25 % below recommended pressure, so about 26 psi.

Originally Posted by andyd
Door post says 35 on Camrys. I run 40 to keep TPSM light off. It is more of nag ware than nanny ware.
grin2.gif

TPMS can be set to any pressure, just open the owner manual to read how to do it

Originally Posted by mightymousetech
Guess I am an anomaly. My car calls for 35 front, 42 rear. I run 33 front, 35 rear. The lower the pressure, the larger the contact patch, the more grip you have*.

*up to a point.

I'm in your camp as well ... in the winter I run a couple psi BELOW the placard pressure. More contact patch, way smoother on rougher snow and ice covered roads, and heat isn't really an issue at - 20*C ( 0 F )

The ice racer guys run a low 20 psi on the lake ... some go lower, but they risk the occasional tire bead separation flat.

Originally Posted by geeman789
Pressure drop is roughly 1 psi per 1 * C ... with a 40*C differential, you should be up at 41 psi garage pressure . At 36 psi garage, you are likely around 28 or 29 psi ambient. TPMS typically triggers at 25 % below recommended pressure, so about 26 psi.

The rule I've heard is closer to 1 psi per delta T of 10 F. Your mention of 1 psi per 1 C would mean a 40 PSI differential, whereas you're quoting an 8 PSI change (which isn't absurd in the least), since that would be 1 PSI per 5 C, which, again, is certainly not absurd.

My compensation does work, and my TPMS will actually kick off around 30 PSI; it's extremely finnicky. Now, with my compensation, if I hit -40 or colder (and it did happen this winter, as you're aware), I'll get a warning. I think the highest I ever set it to in garage was around 39, not that 41 would be silly or out of the question, either. If I set it at 33 PSI on the hottest day of the summer, I get TPMS warnings long before a real winter day appears, at least by our standards. I don't mind the Infiniti's TPMS being as picky as it is. At least it's useful!

Overkill: My god daughter's Benz has two sets of pressures as well. Her TPMS was bothering her as well, since it was set indoors in a shop at a warm temperature, and then our February came. I set it to the German pressures, and the problem disappeared.
wink.gif
Oh, to make matters worse, her tires were about finished in February, and she ran something over, got a flat, and had no spare. It was -30 and she was so happy, too!

I go by the place-card pressure as recommended by the manufacture for this vehicle driven on the street as a daily driver. I use to have lots of fun raising tire pressure and messing around on snow, ice and wet pavement. I learned pretty quick that the place-card pressures were very close to the best for stopping hydroplaning on wet roads. I also have read and agree that the manufactures recommendation is the best compromise for safety (except FORD SUVs), ride and tire life. If you deviate much you may gain in one area and lose in another. i.e. raising 20% may or will reduce tire contact size in most cases which means less cornering power. I say all this just to put another perspective into the above comments. Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back