Delo 400XSP 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Zahndkile
Could youall recomend a good oil or 3 for this fleet.
They have 1 eagle picher with a 4 cylinder perkins diesel (around year 2000) on its 2nd engine because of running out of oil (the reason i got the contract)
1 hyster lpg lift truck with a chevy vortec v6 this one has a problem with condensation or posibly antifreeze in the oil ( i really need to convince them to do a uoa to find out for shure)
1 honda gx270 doing power washer duty always set to full throttle i belive it calls for xw30 grade
2 club car golf carts with kawasaki engines that never get up to operaying temp in the cool weather ( i generaly change the oil when it turns milky)
1 EZ-GO with a robin 292cc 2 cylinder that is near 20 years old
1 yamaha grizzly 450 auto 4 wheeler calls for 20w40 or 10w30
1 kawasaki mule 3010 model year 2007
There is also a polaris ranger crew 800 efi year 2012 that i use the polaris 5w50 oil it drinks and blackens lighter weights 3 times as fast

Any help would be appreciated. I switched most of them from the orileys 10w30 that they were using when i took over maintenance i thought i saw positive results but that could have just been because of cleaning out the sludge from rarely changing oil.
Sadly uoa's are not in the budget
Also we are in Oklahoma so no serious cold but they are run all year around mostly a few minutes at a time with cooling time in between.

The polaris ranger probably needs to have an overhead run, most likely the valve stem seals are worn out.. possibly rings as well. You are wasting money on the polaris 5w50. Check the intake past the air filter, if you see dust in there the engine is worn out.

Everything on your list will be happy with Rotella 5w40.

As to your questions about 'Molly' here is a good article on moly https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/moly.html

moly is not going to reverse the years of neglect and abuse on that fleet.

Your best bet is to keep clean air filters and proper levels on dipsticks..

They have 1 eagle picher with a 4 cylinder perkins diesel (around year 2000) on its 2nd engine because of running out of oil (the reason i got the contract)
1 hyster lpg lift truck with a chevy vortec v6 this one has a problem with condensation or posibly antifreeze in the oil ( i really need to convince them to do a uoa to find out for shure)
1 honda gx270 doing power washer duty always set to full throttle i belive it calls for xw30 grade
2 club car golf carts with kawasaki engines that never get up to operaying temp in the cool weather ( i generaly change the oil when it turns milky)
There is also a polaris ranger crew 800 efi year 2012 that i use the polaris 5w50 oil it drinks and blackens lighter weights 3 times as fast

Any help would be appreciated. I switched most of them from the orileys 10w30 that they were using when i took over maintenance i thought i saw positive results but that could have just been because of cleaning out the sludge from rarely changing oil.
Also we are in Oklahoma so no serious cold but they are run all year around mostly a few minutes at a time with cooling time in between.

That is a broad mixed fleet there ... liquid cooled, air cooled, small single cyliders, multi cylinders, etc.

I would recommend a 10w-30 HDEO that is from the Ford F1 list, so that there's at least 1000ppm phos, for most of them. And also maybe a 15w-40 for things like the Polaris and OPE type stuff for summer. Not sure if these OCIs need to go year round or seasonal based on use factors?

Originally Posted by krismoriah72

The polaris ranger probably needs to have an overhead run, most likely the valve stem seals are worn out.. possibly rings as well. You are wasting money on the polaris 5w50. Check the intake past the air filter, if you see dust in there the engine is worn out.

Everything on your list will be happy with Rotella 5w40.

As to your questions about 'Molly' here is a good article on moly https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/moly.html

moly is not going to reverse the years of neglect and abuse on that fleet.

Your best bet is to keep clean air filters and proper levels on dipsticks..

The polaris was clean as a whistle when i changed the air filter this season. I they had it running on Orileys 10w-30 it seems to be doing well on polaris oil so i will keep up its special treatment. The other rigs i am open to change though.
I will look for the rotella 5w-40 i picked the delo only because it was the cheapest 5w-40 HDEO at orileys. (I originally only intended it for the diesel and the lpg lift trucks)

Originally Posted by dnewton3

That is a broad mixed fleet there ... liquid cooled, air cooled, small single cyliders, multi cylinders, etc.

I would recommend a 10w-30 HDEO that is from the Ford F1 list, so that there's at least 1000ppm phos, for most of them. And also maybe a 15w-40 for things like the Polaris and OPE type stuff for summer. Not sure if these OCIs need to go year round or seasonal based on use factors?

That is for shure on the mixed fleet. (I wish they would stick with one brand of golf cart at least)
Is there a readily available brand of 10w-30 you would recomend. (Final decision is usualy good brand with lowest price of selected specification)

That is for shure on the mixed fleet. (I wish they would stick with one brand of golf cart at least)
Is there a readily available brand of 10w-30 you would recomend. (Final decision is usualy good brand with lowest price of selected specification)

I change oil much more often in winter on several to get rid of the moisture in the oil.

There's nothing wrong with the O'Reilly 10w-30 from before lol. Plus it's cheaper, I think you can get it as cheap as 2.99/qt...

Last edited:
This is much like a typical farm fleet and operation. Small engines in OPE and big diesels with all sorts of stuff in between. You have to find one product group that will let you do all of it. Out here in Cali we use a lot of Delo as the refinery is right down the road. But, it does not freeze here much, so we can get by with straight SAE 30 HD, which is the bottom line for most engines. It's what most bearing systems were designed around.

In your neck of the woods, I'd call Schaefer's local rep and see what they can work out ... It'll be delivered to your door, and the cost should be competitive. None of these engines have high valve spring pressures, so any oil over about 800 PPM ZDDP should work OK. I'd step it up a bit if I could to 1,000 PPM - but they will all live with 800.

For engines with very poor service history, I'd run one round of Valvoline Premium Blue Restore to free the rings and eliminate any coking anywhere. It's a proven fluid. Expensive'ish, but worth getting a motor clean enough to go on from there.

If I had to choose just one, it'd be a 15W-40 HDEO as you can run it in anything - winter and summer - and know you have good protection.

Last edited:
Love this oil if you can find it that is, I can find it at Walmart but not all Walmart's will stock this, it's an awesome deal usually found in the $18-$20 range if you can find it that is. I also like their delo xle 10w30 and it's getting even harder to find, I used to buy it at Walmart a few years ago in the $12-$13 range but is practically non-existent these days but did find that Auto Zone has it for $13 so I've been stocking up again, you really have to watch Auto Zone and their stores do not all use the same pricing, I bought 4 jugs at my local store for $13 each but in a different store it was listed at $24 on the shelf, needless to say I did not buy any from that one, same way with oil filters I could buy their Stp filter for my motorcycle at $4.99 but one of the stores was $6.99 for the exact same filter, I didn't even go back in to complain and figured I saved more than enough on that oil for being so cheap.

Walmart has been making room for the Rotella 15w40 that is now available in Full Synthetic & Syn-Blend, also Chevron Delo 15w40 which is why the other oil's are getting harder to find.

I think the OP has found an oil in which he feels suitable for the entire fleet. Based on the fleet the oil choice really doesent seem out of line. The Vortec uses less oil so there is one improvement. I personally feel it makes sense, one oil for everything under one roof. Good job OP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back