yamaha ring free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: claluja
Originally Posted By: irv
I know with Yamalube oil, they charge and arm and leg for it but there is nothing more special about it at all. It's made by Citgo or Nippon and if it didn't have the Yamaha logo on the outside of the bottle, it would be $8-$10 dollar a ltr oil at best and not the $21 they like to charge for it.

Retail for the best synthetic Yamalube oil is $13 per quart/liter. If anyone else knows of a Group IV synthetic oil with almost 800 ppm moly for that much, please let me know.

http://www.simyamaha.com/Yamaha_Yamalube_Fourstroke_5W_30_Oil_p/lub-05w30-fc-12.htm

In the States, and notice where it reads "NEW"
Hopefully Yamalube (Yamaha) or should I say Nipon, has made their oils a little more worth the money the charge for it.

Some VOA's and a couple UOA's I seen showed it to be nothing more than just plain ordinary oil, like $3-$4 dollar a bottle oil and one UOA showed it practically spent, used up, with only 600 miles on it.
crazy2.gif

Regardless how good it is now, I will never use it ever again. One $90 dollar oil change, for 3 ltr's and a filter, was enough for me to wake up and to quit drinking the Kool-Aid.

I read Yamalube was made by Chevron, but you can bet whomever bids the cheapest wins. With that said I also saw a test on the top marine oils and Yamalube was 9 out of 10 tested. Very low rust resistance and early shearing. My 2005 F115 does not specify a FWC oil cause they did not make it then, it says 10-30 or 10-40, so I don't use it. Most FWC oils are diesel oils re badged, cause the additive package it the same. I have been using NAPA Universal Fleet 15-40 in mine with no problems.

I see now that the Yamaha ring free is made by Spectrum Chemicals in Selmer, TN. I say that because if you look up the MSDS (safety data sheet), it is listed as being made by Spectrum Chemicals. I wonder if Yamaha changed manufacturers from Chevron to Spectrum and if so, was there any changes made to the formula. I have been told that Spectrum makes all of the chemicals for Mercury, Yamaha, etc. and that they are all the same. In fact, I have been told that the oils for Mercury and Yamaha are the exact same and evan come out of the same tank. The only difference is that one has a little coloring added that isn't added to the other. I have no way to verify this...just going on what I have been told through the grapevine. I would think this is more likely true for the two stroke oils than the four stroke oils.
Now back to the ring free....
The MSDS list all of the ingredients and I don't really see anything that is earth shattering based on my chemical knowledge. I also notice that it looks like it is the exact same thing as the Yamaha RX Medic but it looks like the suggested mixing ratio is more than the ring free for some reason. Based on this, it looks like ring free is still cheaper to use at the suggested ratio. It may be that they are expecting you to use the ring free continuously while the RX Medic is only used when there is a problem.

The cheapest thing now looks to be Techron Protection Plus Marine. It is listed at the same dosage as Ringfree. MSDS says 25-50% polyetheramine. It is about $90 a gallon. Has anyone tried it?

Reactions: 4WD
Originally Posted by sweezy722
The cheapest thing now looks to be Techron Protection Plus Marine. It is listed at the same dosage as Ringfree. MSDS says 25-50% polyetheramine. It is about $90 a gallon. Has anyone tried it?

I have to wonder if you couldn't just run regular old Techron in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back