Question for Those Who Quit Smoking

I don't smoke but I know someone who does and is trying to quit. They were about a pack a day smoker, and quit approximately 4 weeks ago as their Lent give-up (no religion intended, just qualifying their start time). They have thing called a "quit kit" with a little puffer that administers a bit of nicotine that they can hit a few times a day to ease the cravings, their got it from their MD actually a long time ago but only are utilizing it now.

They are struggling with cigarette cravings, and are resorting to binge snacking as a compensation, with sweet snacks such as candy being preferred. My question is this for those who have quit: What are some strategies I can give them to curb the junk food cravings and do the nicotine cravings eventually ease off?

All you need is a box of cinnamon flavored toothpicks. Substitute one habit for another.

Yes I know you can't smoke the toothpicks, but you can chew them to slivers; and you will.

Exercise ... even if it's just taking walks. Do something to keep the body and mind off coffin nails.

just quit, smoke the last cigarette and do not smoke any more. that's what I did 9 years ago

Thinking about money... $200/month on cigarettes = 40 Subway $5 footlongs = 12 jugs of ST FS oil = 1000 rds 9mm = a new impact wrench kit = almost 2 of Milwaukee's 15-piece combo wrench sets. And that's just 1 month.

I quit on 1/19/18 after many years of smoking. The nicotine cravings may not truly subside until he/she gives up that aid they're using. For me, I knew I needed to stop introducing nicotine for me to quit. That meant no nicotine gum, vapes etc. Your friend is suffering from the oral fixation of the addiction. They're putting sweets up to their mouth instead of cigarettes. Some use regular sugar-free gum to satiate that desire while others choose to eat healthy food like carrots, celery so forth. If they decide to try those healthier snacks make sure they have a variety of different types or they may get bored quickly and slip back to the sweets. Keeping those sweets out of the house helps for those nights spent at home watching TV. I was also a huge coffee drinker when I smoked and no longer crave it which also helps. Lastly, I drank a lot of water!

I was able to go from 1.5 packs a day to 3 cigarettes a day on my third day, just by carring a peice of paper with several rows & columns. I could smoke any time I wanted to, but before I lit up, I had to write down what time it was, what I was doing, and 1 or 2 more things. For some reason, each day the number of times I smoked got lower & lower, and on the third day I only lit up 3 times. The next day I quit.

Now that would help someone who is trying to quit, but stil smoking. Not sure if your friend would be helped out or not...
frown.gif

I quit pretty much cold turkey. Chewing gum helped. But so did running. Once I discovered I could run a mile, then 2 miles, then 5 miles, I couldn't imagine myself smoking again.

Going on 35 years without a puff.

My MIL smoked 80 cigarettes a day for as long as I knew her (40+ years). I figured she'd never quit or taper off. Then she was diagnosed with bone cancer - she quit in one day

80>>>>>0, one day.

She lived for another 3 or 4 years before blowing away. The doctors who diagnosed her bone cancer did an MRI of her whole body. Before leaving the hospital a nurse gave her a copy
[Linked Image]

of the high contrast MRI of her lungs - they looked like a pair of pork tenderloins that'd been in the oven for, oh, 20 years. She had that taped to the refrigerator door to kill any cravings that hit her. It worked. It's a shame though, if she hadn't smoked she'd probably made it to her 90s, she had a lot in her family tree that did.
The MRI image is different from this picture but this is close to what it looked like shape wise.

I'd rather smoke again than be fat. Z06 has about the best advice, it helped me for sure. Don't pick up another substance to abuse just to drop the first.

My biggest issue with quitting (when I did briefly) was that it cut into my routine. I have pretty much unlimited smoke breaks at work, as long as my work gets done, and that 10 minute "break" every couple hours really helped me through my day.

I decided to find the shortest lasting gum I could think of, and try using that less as an "oral fixation" and more of a time killer. Turns out, Juicy Fruit fit the bill perfectly. I could pop in a piece on my way out to the alley to "smoke", play on my phone for 5-10 minutes, and the gum would be out of flavor around the time a cigarette would be done. Then I walked back in. I quit cold turkey for 3 months, and had very few side effects. Then my (ex) happened, and that was enough to push me off the wagon. I plan on doing the same again soon, hopefully before patio season hits.

I tried Patches, gum, hypnotist ( hired by my work), Chantex med, bumming smokes to cut down to zero. NOTHING WORKS UNTIL YOU LEARN TO TELL YOURSELF NO. I did that on 8/9/2011. Ed

Quit several times until I threw a half pack in the garbage. Suffered every hour for two weeks then OK except when playing cards with smokers. That was 51 years ago.

Last edited:
I quit in 1999 the same day I had to drive from Washington State to Tennessee. If I couldn't do it then I felt I could never quit. I tried to quit at least 15-20 time before this trip. So this was my test a 2,000 mile drive with no nicotine. I did it and smoke free since. I also chewed at the same time as smoking.

I smoked for 22 years, about a pack a day. My brand was Vantage, the one with a hole in the filter. I tried to quit a couple of times back in the 1990's but started back again. My first wife was diagnosed with stage 4 colorectal cancer in November 2002. I went with her to Moffitt Cancer Center for her radiation and chemo sessions and saw a lot of people really sick with different kinds of cancer there, but I kept on smoking. I finally quit for good on Dec. 4, 2003. My wife was very sick by then, and I swore to myself that my daughter, who was 11 at the time would never watch me suffer like that. My wife died on May 21, 2004. She was only 38 years old.

My daughter was my main reason and motivator when I quit, that and the fact that I do not want to die of lung cancer or emphysema/COPD. What helped me was I set a date on Dec. 4th for my last cigarette and when that day came I had my last one at 11:45 that night and that was it. I ate a lot of Werther's chewy caramels and Storck Chocolate Reisen's during the first few weeks. I don't care for cinnamon, but some people have said cinnamon gum or candy does help cut the cravings. For me it was caramels, Reisens and beef jerky. I also ate a lot of vanilla and chocolate ice cream in the first few days that I quit. I gradually cut down on the candy and ice cream the further along I went and cut them out completely after about the first 2 weeks.

The first few days were rough, no doubt about that. But to me every hour, every minute, every second that I did not smoke was a little victory. I was highly motivated and determined to quit for good, and the longer I went without it the easier it was to stay quit. I also did my best to avoid other smokers and keep my stress level as low as possible. When a person is a smoker you can smell it on them, and if you are near a smoker the smell can drive you insane, even if that person is not smoking at the time. I also kept my last half a pack and a lighter in my dresser drawer. During that first few weeks if I got an uncontrollable urge to light up I went and looked at the pack in my drawer and pretty much gave it the finger and said "I win, you lose" or "I control you now, you don't control me any more". Keeping those last few cigarettes on hand like that really helped my determination, will power and sense of victory over the cigarettes. I was able to face my enemy and every time I did, I was the winner. Again, the longer I went without smoking, the easier it got.

That is part of my story. Motivation, determination to be here for my daughter, picking up healthy habits (I also started logging a lot of miles on my mountain bike around town and on the local bike trails) are all part of what worked for me. You have to want to quit more than you want to smoke. Nicorette was nasty then, probably just as bad now. It did not help me much. Eat healthy, develop healthy hobbies and habits you really enjoy, get a good night's sleep, try to keep stress levels down and celebrate every day and every minute without smoking as a personal victory. Bottom line, the longer you go without smoking, the easier it gets. I sure don't miss it now and will never ever smoke again. I met my best friend and the best woman on the planet in December 2008 and we got married in April 2012. My wife and my daughter and the rest of my family are all of my reasons now for not smoking and trying my best to stay healthy.

Exercise, drink plenty of water, spearmint, peppermint, cinnamon, and BTW I still get strong cravings despite quiting 30 months ago. It's one of the prices paid for starting.

One summer I tried to pick up cigarette smoking. After each one, I would wash my hands and face and brush my teeth. It got too laborious. And the feeling wasn't even that good.

I heard a Radio Lab episode or something else on npr. They were talking about life changing experiences when on one of those psychedelics. Dmt, or whatever it was. They said ppl take it to overcome something like smoking cigarettes. They described it as "like flicking a fly off my arm" to quit smoking. Before it was hard. I guess you can try find which episode. Oddly enough, a lot of the people who took it became religious. They saw "oneness" in the universe, like how everything is connected as creations.

I think they're doing research on it to see if can work for ptsd and other ailments. I heard it a long time ago.

My suggestion is to look up such methods. And really replace the act of smoking with a much better goal to tend to. It's not enough to say don't smoke. Don't say "don't do that." Give them something to do, not something to not do. So, "always smell amazing" is a goal to reach for. It's something to do, not just "don't smoke."

Tell your friend that they don't STINK anymore!

I started drinking more water & flavored club soda(no sugar) to compensate for my cravings.

Then I started to exercise and eat better(not eat more). One thing after another. I started reading. I met with non smoking friends for coffee(decaf after NOON). Your friend needs to find what works for them. It's the most difficult thing to do.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
I don't smoke but I know someone who does and is trying to quit.

Might be a good idea to send your friend this thread. I think it would help give some extra will power to overcome the nasty habit.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger

They are struggling with cigarette cravings, and are resorting to binge snacking as a compensation, with sweet snacks such as candy being preferred. My question is this for those who have quit: What are some strategies I can give them to curb the junk food cravings and do the nicotine cravings eventually ease off?

A smoker is just like any other addict, once you stop, your brain always will crave something.
Its up to the individual quitting to be strong and overcome it. In a great many people, they pick up another habit (without the drug) such as eating ect.

The thing is right now, your friend is still taking the drug, only without the smoke which is still better then with the smoke but still an addict who has not got off the drug.

Last edited:
Back