I *HATE* all the internet spying

Status
Not open for further replies.
The next Full Moon by me is set for April 19th. I'll be sure to go up on my roof and bark at it. I'll report back on how much better it makes me feel. In the meantime I'll complain about all the people who don't...... And sign up for Duck Duck Go.

Sometimes ads can be good. On the pandora app, an ad for a free haircut came up. It wouldn't have if I had the subscription with no ads. But this is rare.

It's crazy how that one guy fled to Russia bc he released all the info about the spying and what not.

Originally Posted by billt460
They already know. Most health care plans have prescription drug coverage of some type. If they're paying for it, they know what you're taking.

I can't speak for Shannow, but I don't think that was his point. Of course, they'll know. He's talking about insurers using data about you (from online DNA tests posted, internet searches, whatever) being used to deny you coverage based upon even a hint of a pre-existing condition.

Yep....exactly Garak

search for "which gun lube works best on my zimmer frame wheels", and that will be a "pre-existing" condition when you go to claim your next zimmer frame.

If this dystopian world comes to exist where we are categorized based on our data and it's used to establish healthcare and credit scores and whatever else, the off the grid folks aren't going to have a walk in the park. They will be placed in the undesirable category.

Originally Posted by Shannow
search for "which gun lube works best on my zimmer frame wheels", and that will be a "pre-existing" condition when you go to claim your next zimmer frame.

That's where I say to pay attention to Richard Stallman. People think he's nuts, but if you look at his points, there's a valuable moral there. The man is a public figure. He realizes he cannot be anonymous. His livelihood also relies on him not being anonymous. That being said, he's not willing to let others read his emails, monitor his purchasing habits, or monitor his search habits, much less carry around a tracking device (and pay a telephone company large dollars for the privilege of doing so).

The consumer grade DNA tests have already had serious unintended consequences. As it stands, people use Google like mad, and most of the time while signed into Google. They already can tie searches to a geographical area and an IP. Refining it to a certain user account in a household is even more gravy to them. When Google starts selling health insurance or auto insurance or underwriting extended vehicle warranties, then it's really time to worry.

Leo99: The people I have known over the years who legitimately live off the grid (as in they live as sustenance hunters miles from even a tiny town) would gladly accept the "undesirable" label. In fact, I think they'd insist upon it.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Garak
When Google starts selling health insurance or auto insurance or underwriting extended vehicle warranties, then it's really time to worry.

What are you going to worry about? And what good is it going to do? Google, along with countless other search engines and websites, are in the information business. If they can sell it, any of it to anyone in order to turn a buck, why wouldn't they? The Internet is called, "The Information Superhighway" for good reason. If you use it for anything, you are putting information out there about yourself. It doesn't discriminate about the information it gathers. As long as it's fresh and accurate, it is worth something to someone.

There is a constantly expanding market for personal information. Especially now that companies like Facebook have Mr. & Mrs. John Q. Public, along with everyone else young and old, married or single, jumping up and down, plastering every aspect of their entire lives all over it. If there is anyway that information can be gathered up, organized, dealt out and sold, it will be. It's as simple as that. There is no end to where, or how far this will go. What's funny is now they are trying to make Zuckerberg the bad guy in this whole thing. And they want his head on a stick. What did they think would happen?

Is anyone really foolish to believe when they go to an on line dating service like E Harmony, all the information that you provide them, that is put up on that website, will only be read by someone who joins and wants to date you? It's a bit like taking all of your curtains and window shades down, then wondering how everyone on the block knows what you're doing, along with when and how you're doing it. Does anyone actually believe Neil Clark Warren's $500 MILLION dollar net worth, came from only lovelorn people trying to "connect" with the right one on his website?

Just look what it shows here about people who buy Amsoil on line. They are probably mechanically inclined to a large degree. They maintain their own car. They buy tools to do it. They most likely are far more performance oriented than the guy who goes to Jiffy Lube. So Summit Racing would want to know this, so they can send him a catalog. And they'll be more than willing to pay someone for that information. It decreases their group size when they shoot their catalogs out to all of their potential customers. They score more "hits" cheaper and easier that way.

Same deal with every housewife who buys from the Home Shopping Network or Amazon. They look for any type of purchasing pattern they can find. And they are experts at connecting those dots. All of this is fed into computers and run through extensive merchandising software. And it all works or they wouldn't be doing it.

Bottom line, every keystroke you make is worth something to someone out there. (If it wasn't Windows 10 wouldn't be recording it). It then becomes a matter of getting this information to the people who care and want to know. And most importantly, are willing to pay for it. And it all goes far deeper than you could possibly imagine..... Or like. They are connecting dots as we speak, that most people don't even know exist. Let alone know they are the one's that put them out there to be connected in the first place.

"WINDOWS 10 is tracking and recording your every keystroke and Cortana request, sending the data it collects back to Microsoft to try and improve accuracy. ... Microsoft can track every word you type, or say out loud, while using its latest operating system, Windows 10."

https://www.google.com/search?ei=SA...5i39j0i67j0i131j0i131i67j0i3.1YjaRhhGMXo

When Google starts selling health insurance or auto insurance or underwriting extended vehicle warranties, then it's really time to worry.

What are you going to worry about? And what good is it going to do? Google, along with countless other search engines and websites, are in the information business. If they can sell it, any of it to anyone in order to turn a buck, why wouldn't they? The Internet is called, "The Information Superhighway" for good reason. If you use it for anything, you are putting information out there about yourself. It doesn't discriminate about the information it gathers. As long as it's fresh and accurate, it is worth something to someone.

There is a constantly expanding market for personal information. Especially now that companies like Facebook have Mr. & Mrs. John Q. Public, along with everyone else young and old, married or single, jumping up and down, plastering every aspect of their entire lives all over it. If there is anyway that information can be gathered up, organized, dealt out and sold, it will be. It's as simple as that. There is no end to where, or how far this will go. What's funny is now they are trying to make Zuckerberg the bad guy in this whole thing. And they want his head on a stick. What did they think would happen?

Is anyone really foolish to believe when they go to an on line dating service like E Harmony, all the information that you provide them, that is put up on that website, will only be read by someone who joins and wants to date you? It's a bit like taking all of your curtains and window shades down, then wondering how everyone on the block knows what you're doing, along with when and how you're doing it. Does anyone actually believe Neil Clark Warren's $500 MILLION dollar net worth, came from only lovelorn people trying to "connect" with the right one on his website?

Just look what it shows here about people who buy Amsoil on line. They are probably mechanically inclined to a large degree. They maintain their own car. They buy tools to do it. They most likely are far more performance oriented than the guy who goes to Jiffy Lube. So Summit Racing would want to know this, so they can send him a catalog. And they'll be more than willing to pay someone for that information. It decreases their group size when they shoot their catalogs out to all of their potential customers. They score more "hits" cheaper and easier that way.

Same deal with every housewife who buys from the Home Shopping Network or Amazon. They look for any type of purchasing pattern they can find. And they are experts at connecting those dots. All of this is fed into computers and run through extensive merchandising software. And it all works or they wouldn't be doing it.

Bottom line, every keystroke you make is worth something to someone out there. (If it wasn't Windows 10 wouldn't be recording it). It then becomes a matter of getting this information to the people who care and want to know. And most importantly, are willing to pay for it. And it all goes far deeper than you could possibly imagine..... Or like. They are connecting dots as we speak, that most people don't even know exist. Let alone know they are the one's that put them out there to be connected in the first place.

"WINDOWS 10 is tracking and recording your every keystroke and Cortana request, sending the data it collects back to Microsoft to try and improve accuracy. ... Microsoft can track every word you type, or say out loud, while using its latest operating system, Windows 10."

https://www.google.com/search?ei=SA...5i39j0i67j0i131j0i131i67j0i3.1YjaRhhGMXo

Like I say, so far still a free country, for the 90% to lazy to give up their free stuff in exchange for the personal information of you and your family, well, its a free world but your family is not free, the companies with this information know what makes your mind work, knows how to get you to buy things and we are at the most dangerous time right now, soon will know how to make you vote a certain way. But what the heck, keep patronizing google and the others, become their personal DRONE.

:eek:)

I dont care to comment further (no applause please *L*) Except to say people are stupid to think that they can not put a stop to it. Do you think for a moment if the other dumb and numb 90% stopped using all things google, that google would not notice and change its way?

Come on already, god they already got you thinking that you can not do without them. For gods sake, the USA can sink Googles profits in a matter of seconds and I MEAN seconds, if people all of a sudden stopped using google search and oh my god forbid, stop using gmail. The stock price of google would bet cut in half in one day with further declines the following days.
Dont think companies would notice that people are serious about privacy? Like duh! But, Americans will not, until the scandals hit, then they will cry to their public servants, wah, wah, wah .. .*L*

Last edited:
Well, I suppose here in the USA anyhow, as long as the 2nd amendment isn't repealed We the People still have the means to resist if things get too draconian.

Also the 1st amendment along with the 2nd. Mods, that's not about politics or religion it's about Rights. Free speech and to bear arms, to be specific. Utterly the base foundation of the American nation.

And isn't duck duck go of Chinese origin? Surely there's no spyware code deeply embedded there ...

Here's an interesting question. Is your phone with the permanently installed non-removable battery REALLY off when you turn it off?

And to wax conspiratorial, could the reason more if not most phones are now manufactured with permanently installed batteries be so the user cannot completely unpower the device?

I suppose one could always have a Faraday box handy for when they wanted to ensure beyond all doubt that their phone isn't able to successfully transmit anything in the background. Although that is easily surmountable by simply having the clandestine transmission algorithm cache the data and save for a re-try when a handshake with the cloud is achieved once the device is removed from the Faraday box. No handshake, go into suspend, periodically re-try until successful handshake is completed then upload spy data. Damm I guess there's no way to defeat them. Resistance really is futile.

Ultimately, I think there are two different issues flowing through here...one is centered around ad dollars and marketing and one that's centered around what you could define as actual spying that could involve things like intervention in elections and manipulating public opinion. If you define the latter by the former, then you're lost in the relevant arguments. Saying that it's OK to be fatalistic about your personal information gives carte blanche to any foreign government, interest group, ISP, and very predictably ( on this site at least ) a sense that if you don't have anything to hide it doesn't matter...because any powers that be will do what they want and there isn't anything you can do about the analytics, what's done with them, who receives them, or any other factor. If that's the case and If you follow the issue at all, that would strike me as ignorance more than anything else.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
But what the heck, keep patronizing google and the others, become their personal DRONE. For gods sake, the USA can sink Googles profits in a matter of seconds and I MEAN seconds, if people all of a sudden stopped using google search and oh my god forbid, stop using gmail. The stock price of google would bet cut in half in one day with further declines the following days.

Why are you worrying so much about Google, when Microsoft is tracking and recording your every keystroke? Or are you planning on smashing your desktop and smartphone, and go back to your landline and snail mail?

It's too late to even think about privacy guidelines now. That had to happen in the beginning.
Facebook made the terrible error, of getting caught. Then issuing apologies. Until the next time.
People need to be compensated for the use(buying and selling) of their info. It's a commodity that is creating profits for those who are not creating it.

What are you going to worry about? And what good is it going to do? Google, along with countless other search engines and websites, are in the information business.

It's not about me. I use a specifically private search engine most of the time.

Is anyone really foolish to believe when they go to an on line dating service like E Harmony, all the information that you provide them, that is put up on that website, will only be read by someone who joins and wants to date you?

I don't have an account with them, either, or Facebook. In fact, if I put my real name into any search engine, including Google, I'm not out there. The only place I can be found isn't by a search engine, but behind a paywall at the corporate registry for my seat on various boards of directors.

I don't use Windows 10 whatsoever. I rarely use Windows for online anything, and almost never at home. I use Linux. There isn't this dichotomy of either being online in the modern world and accepting Microsoft's tracking or going back to the 1950s. I can accomplish everything I need online without ever using a Microsoft (or Apple) product and without Google.

Google can sell what it wants. I don't participate. Microsoft can keystroke log whatever they want. Again, I don't participate. Yet, I'm still here, online.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Well, I suppose here in the USA anyhow, as long as the 2nd amendment isn't repealed We the People still have the means to resist if things get too draconian.

Also the 1st amendment along with the 2nd. Mods, that's not about politics or religion it's about Rights. Free speech and to bear arms, to be specific. Utterly the base foundation of the American nation.

And isn't duck duck go of Chinese origin? Surely there's no spyware code deeply embedded there ...

Fake news. All one has to do is Google who owns DuckDuckGo and you will see it is an American in Pennsylvania. click

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger

A web site is very different from an application: You can see the source code right from within your browser. And the country of origin of any particular software has zero to do with whether or not that software is "good" or "bad". There are lots of Americans and American-owned companies churning out malicious software.

Google can sell what it wants. I don't participate. Microsoft can keystroke log whatever they want. Again, I don't participate. Yet, I'm still here, online.

You realize that your ss# is in the hands of dozens of people though right?? And lets not even thik about Credit Cards and cell phones.

Anyone that worries about privacy would have a stroke if they realized how much of your info is out there.

Last edited:

Leo99: The people I have known over the years who legitimately live off the grid (as in they live as sustenance hunters miles from even a tiny town) would gladly accept the "undesirable" label. In fact, I think they'd insist upon it.
wink.gif

I don't doubt that for a minute. But I fail to see what they've gained if what the're fearing comes to pass. I spent some time on those forums were people discuss life WROL. Many of them are truly delusional. Also, there were folks on the news a few years ago protesting about the utility company installing an electronic meter on their house. These people feared the utility company would know their utility usage patterns.

Makes me think of this: https://youtu.be/O7VaXlMvAvk?t=110

Originally Posted by Al
You realize that your ss# is in the hands of dozens of people though right?? And lets not even thik about Credit Cards and cell phones.

I provide the Canadian equivalent of the social insurance number only when required or if it's of some sort of benefit. Irrespective of that, that's not relevant to any of the other privacy concerns. Just because dozens of people have my Social Insurance Number doesn't absolve Google of reading my email. One privacy concern does not make a different one acceptable. I don't have a cell phone, either.

Leo99: I'm not talking about what would be commonly known as preppers, or people with a bunch of conspiracy theories (although they may have some of those). These are people who generally do better on their own and do live competently in the bush on their own. I don't doubt that some are a little odd by our standards, but these are people who are fully capable of taking care of themselves - and actually do so - with minimal reliance on technology and other people; no telephones, electricity, or natural gas.

As for the mention of China and Duckduckgo, I will agree with uc50ic4more. There are enough malicious technology entities in North America, not the least of which is Microsoft itself, much less Apple. Open source is far more important than country of origin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back