New Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ZebRuaj
I feel the trade off in ease of application will be durability. I'll have to see how my concoction of 5:1 holds up as a quick detailer between washes.

I'd say it's on par with Zaino Z-CS, maybe a little better, but slightly more susceptible to water spotting. So it's better than any spray wax or wash and wax, and on par or better than stuff like colllinite, while being easier to apply.

Because of the extreme ease of application, durability isn't really a consideration. A few sprays after a car wash and you're done. Because of the easiness, the only reason I know about longevity is because I don't wash much in winter.

It's not clear to me why one would use this diluted as quick detailer. There are better products that don't have the water and motion activated behavior.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
It's not clear to me why one would use this diluted as quick detailer. There are better products that don't have the water and motion activated behavior.

You also want your quick detailer to be loaded with lubricant.

If anything, I would say you could dilute HCW into something like UQD. I wouldn't use water.

Originally Posted by ZebRuaj
I feel the trade off in ease of application will be durability. I'll have to see how my concoction of 5:1 holds up as a quick detailer between washes.

I'd say it's on par with Zaino Z-CS, maybe a little better, but slightly more susceptible to water spotting. So it's better than any spray wax or wash and wax, and on par or better than stuff like colllinite, while being easier to apply.

Because of the extreme ease of application, durability isn't really a consideration. A few sprays after a car wash and you're done. Because of the easiness, the only reason I know about longevity is because I don't wash much in winter.

Isn't longevity the primary reason for ceramics? The easy application is a bonus, but I would think the main reason for using ceramics is for durability...

Originally Posted by grampi

Isn't longevity the primary reason for ceramics? The easy application is a bonus, but I would think the main reason for using ceramics is for durability...

Absolutely, but I think you may be missing the point here a bit.

This imparts an SiO2 coating, but the key is that it is truly zero touch. You don't even need to be sure that it is sprayed and spread on the entire surface, the rinse does that for you. So it's beyond easy. I've never seen a quick wax or other product that is literally zero touch, yet actually lasts. Wash and wax products imo are not in the same league.

So definitely yes you are correct that ideally ceramic products are applied to a pristine, prepped surface, and last for years, as those years progress, products like these help extend the longevity and are beyond easy to do so.

I applied CQuartzUK in 2015; it's still doing great using this approach with minimal upkeep on a daily driver kept outdoors always.

467F0AB2-19D8-42F8-BC0A-E570579D1A75.jpeg

Last edited:
*Once the base coat is applied - after next wash & rinse just spritz on the surface and dry with a micro fiber towel ?

This imparts an SiO2 coating, but the key is that it is truly zero touch. You don't even need to be sure that it is sprayed and spread on the entire surface, the rinse does that for you. So it's beyond easy. I've never seen a quick wax or other product that is literally zero touch, yet actually lasts. Wash and wax products imo are not in the same league.

So definitely yes you are correct that ideally ceramic products are applied to a pristine, prepped surface, and last for years, as those years progress, products like these help extend the longevity and are beyond easy to do so.

I applied CQuartzUK in 2015; it's still doing great using this approach with minimal upkeep on a daily driver kept outdoors always.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*Once the base coat is applied - after next wash & rinse just spritz on the surface and dry with a micro fiber towel ?

Nope - easier. Wash, rinse, spritz some of this on the panel (no need to cover or spread) and rinse off. The rinse gets full contact if done right, and it's very "attracted" stuff...

No need to wipe it at all, I blow dry my cars so zero touch. So easy

*I still fail to see how just spraying randomly on a panel then rinsing would provide even coverage ? ... This is why I thought using HCW as a drying aid with a microfiber towel after rinsing would be more effective ?

Nope - easier. Wash, rinse, spritz some of this on the panel (no need to cover or spread) and rinse off. The rinse gets full contact if done right, and it's very "attracted" stuff...

No need to wipe it at all, I blow dry my cars so zero touch. So easy

*I still fail to see how just spraying randomly on a panel then rinsing would provide even coverage ? ... This is why I thought using HCW as a drying aid with a microfiber towel after rinsing would be more effective ?

The high-pressure rinse spreads the thick HCW around the surface.

It's not great as a conventional drying aid and streaks, at least in my experience.

Yes, the high pressure rinse activates it. I'm not 100% clear how/why it works...

HydrO2 comes concentrated, so you dilute it 1:6. Stuff like this meguiars product is already dilute. So it's not water addition.

You spray it on a panel and immediately any water drops it encounters change drastically in their surface tension.

The mist doesn't need to touch everything.

You spray it with high pressure, it foams up slightly, and everything that the rinse touches is coated.

It seems the SiO2 fluoropolymer (what I believe it is) is so tenacious for a painted surface (or so desires to not be in water), that the rinse deposits the material on what it touches.

Water can spot if it dries, especially immediately after application. But water also beads and runs off after aggregating so much easier...

Yes, the high pressure rinse activates it. I'm not 100% clear how/why it works...

HydrO2 comes concentrated, so you dilute it 1:6. Stuff like this meguiars product is already dilute. So it's not water addition.

You spray it on a panel and immediately any water drops it encounters change drastically in their surface tension.

The mist doesn't need to touch everything.

You spray it with high pressure, it foams up slightly, and everything that the rinse touches is coated.

It seems the SiO2 fluoropolymer (what I believe it is) is so tenacious for a painted surface (or so desires to not be in water), that the rinse deposits the material on what it touches.

Water can spot if it dries, especially immediately after application. But water also beads and runs off after aggregating so much easier...

Exactly. This stuff is totally different from applying a coat of wax. I like how water just repels and sheets off. There is something molecular going on at the surface but that's beyond my understanding. Another great feature of these ceramics is how a rain shower or a hose rinse will wash off any dust or dirt that is on the body. It keeps that dirt buildup to a minimum.

i tried it on my neighbors neglected car. we clayed it before applying it ,but what it really needs is a cut and polish. i think some of the results are skewed by the type of person that would use this. a person that would use this is more likely to be a person that takes care of their car. they keep it nice and clean a smooth. anything they apply will bead well.

using it on the neighbors car got mixed results. it adding beading, but not to the extent and roundness as my car. i think for a person that takes care of the cars paint its spray and go with good results. average joe that washes his car twice a year that buys it and expects miracles might be disappointed .

I watched the video. After laying down the base coat, I could see a lot of spots that would be missed misting it and rinsing as done in the video. I think I would apply it as they did for the base coat all the time if I were to use the product.

*Seems to defeat the purpose of no touch - but I now see this as a tremendous waste of product (especially on side door panels , quarter panels , etc. due to gravity) ... I believe the only sure way to evenly spread the product around for 100% coverage is via an applicator pad applied as the base coat was applied each and every time . I will add a little goes a very long way and applied to windshields has zero build up as can occur with the spray polymer / wax mixes .
Originally Posted by demarpaint
I watched the video. After laying down the base coat, I could see a lot of spots that would be missed misting it and rinsing as done in the video. I think I would apply it as they did for the base coat all the time if I were to use the product.

*Seems to defeat the purpose of no touch - but I now see this as a tremendous waste of product (especially on side door panels , quarter panels , etc. due to gravity) ... I believe the only sure way to evenly spread the product around for 100% coverage is via an applicator pad applied as the base coat was applied each and every time . I will add a little goes a very long way and applied to windshields has zero build up as can occur with the spray polymer / wax mixes .

It does defeat the purpose of no touch, but just watching how he applied the follow up coat I will be willing to bet there were a lot of missed spots. It almost made it look like a gimmick, designed to blow through product fast. But I be willing to try it. I would apply each time as a base coat. It takes more time uses less product, but guarantees coverage. Done that way the product might be good.

It's simply not necessary. For whatever reason, it spreads and covers well.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
i think some of the results are skewed by the type of person that would use this. a person that would use this is more likely to be a person that takes care...

I've tried hydrO2 on vehicles not waxed for over a year, but just washed. Works fine. Longevity isn't as good.

I ordered it from AAP online, and will try it. Looking at a video demo of someone doing a hood, it looked to me like a good part of the upper portion of the hood was missed. I'll know soon enough.

I ordered it from AAP online, and will try it. Looking at a video demo of someone doing a hood, it looked to me like a good part of the upper portion of the hood was missed. I'll know soon enough.

Missed in misting of the product? That's ok.

Full up high pressure rinse is important to hit the whole panel.

Missed in misting of the product? That's ok.

Full up high pressure rinse is important to hit the whole panel.

Yes missed in misting of the product, then during the rinse the product ran down. I'm not poo-pooing on the product, I bought a bottle, but after watching how it is done after the initial coat there are going to be a lot of missed spots imo. For me I would spend the extra 10 minutes and use it as a wax as you dry product, and satisfy my OCD. That might also increase the durability and increase the time the product lasts. Again jmo.

Well, I bought this and used it per instructions (wash, dry, spray, high-pressure wash, dry). It sucks. Paint looks okay, but feels dirty compared to how it felt when I had simply waxed it. Meh. At least it was cheap.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Well, I bought this and used it per instructions (wash, dry, spray, high-pressure wash, dry). It sucks. Paint looks okay, but feels dirty compared to how it felt when I had simply waxed it. Meh. At least it was cheap.

Strange... Seems all of your posts are complaining about products that "suck."

What do you like?

How would you explain my success with Meguiar's HCW? My paint is as deep and glossy as ever and water rolls right off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back