NAPA Platinum vs Fram Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NAPA Platinum is made by Wix and is the same as the Wix XP and it is not a very efficient filter at all, despite having a synthetic media. I sent an email to Wix yesterday asking about the Wix XP efficiency and they told me it's 99% at 35 microns.

Originally Posted by Patman
The NAPA Platinum is made by Wix and is the same as the Wix XP and it is not a very efficient filter at all, despite having a synthetic media. I sent an email to Wix yesterday asking about the Wix XP efficiency and they told me it's 99% at 35 microns.

Not good. This is my Fram Ultra(Venza) with a 10k mi OCI( with a 5K OC)

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Patman

They use to say it was 50% @ 20u ... which is farther down on the efficiency curve. Obviously 99% @ 35u sounds better to the unknowing.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
One filter is pro-trapping
One filter is pro-flow.
Both are high quality. Use is dependent on need.

Ultra flows very well ... and one filters way more efficiently. Again, PD oil pumps make "flow over filtration" a completely moot point. Now if you mounted oil filters on your kitchen sink faucet or refrigerator water circuit it might be a different story when talking about "flow over filtration".

Originally Posted by Patrick0525
This is my Fram Ultra (Venza) with a 10k mi OCI ( with a 5K OC)

[Linked Image]

Looks like I happened to use your PC data a while back when I made up this chart. Your data is Filter D (yellow line).

Oil Filter Particle Count Comparision (Data From BITOG UOAs).JPG

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Looks like I happened to use your PC data a while back when I made up this chart. Your data is Filter D (yellow line).

that's really quite good

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

that's really quite good

Thanks. I am encouraged to do another Blackstone particle tests with only 5000 mi on the OC.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Trico makes good filters.

I guess good is relative. You would have to compare it to Fram Ultra for this to have meaning. When I found out the difference between the Ultra andt he Mobil1 filter I mmediately removed the Mobil1

On that note, has anybody here had any experience with Donaldson filters, but in an automotive gasoline engine application, not a diesel or off road application?

I did find that they do make a filter for my engine #550162, but was curious if they use the same media that is touted to be excellent in their bigger filter apps.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Al

I guess good is relative. You would have to compare it to Fram Ultra for this to have meaning. When I found out the difference between the Ultra andt he Mobil1 filter I mmediately removed the Mobil1

Trico is the new owner of FRAM

Originally Posted by Al

Why is that?

Originally Posted by Dad2leia
On that note, has anybody here had any experience with Donaldson filters, but in an automotive gasoline engine application, not a diesel or off road application? I did find that they do make a filter for my engine #550162, but was curious if they use the same media that is touted to be excellent in their bigger filter apps.

There's a thread around here that shows one (a standard ford FL-1A size/type) cut open - and it's exactly the same as Amsoil or Fleetguard

Originally Posted by Al

Yep, I think the news hasn't hit everyone yet.

Originally Posted by Al

Yep, I think the news hasn't hit everyone yet.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...lo-and-goodbye-to-my-old-job#Post5050994

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back