18 Civic Si (1.5T), 3000 miles Supertech 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know 3k miles is nothing, but I was mostly looking for oil dilution since my oil smells like straight up fuel.

The viscosity went down.. so there must be some fuel present, I will probably change the oil every 5,000 miles. (I did not change the oil).

I am happy with the wear results, good low numbers, Supertech is good stuff.

8A1B1F1A-21C4-46CE-8E1D-53DC54D7E2B0.jpeg

Originally Posted by parshisa
Awesome results. These 1.5T like 5w30 a lot!!

Yes I do think it was designed for that!

Yup, I'm on third 5w30 fill now. looks like supertech is doing no worse than my 9.75$/qt Amsoil lol

will be stocking up on m1 5w30 with their rebate going on!

Originally Posted by JLTD
Looks like it dropped to a 20 grade oil...I might be inclined to try a 40.

do it.

Im running Castrol Edge 5w-30 in my 1.5 right now. Hopefully with the warmer weather the oil level wont rise an inch on the dipstick like it did over the winter.

Honda specs a 0w20 for this. Therefore, you could probably go 6,000 miles on an oil change and SuperTech 5w30 would still be in the "20" weight visc range. You can get as low as about 7 before any concern with this engine.
I didn't know SuperTech syn has titanium, nice. Valvoline, Castrol, and Kendall use it too. AW and FM as far as what I've read about it.

If I wasn't stocking up during Mobil 1's rebates for $11/5 qt jug of 5W-30 and the Mobil 1 oil filters for $5 I'd definitely give Super Tech Synthetic a try and do an UOA. With our 2.3 EB Explorer my oil changes range from ~6,000 to ~7,500 miles, depending upon the seasons.

Whimsey

It maybe time to set up to a 30W in our 1.5LT. Although the oil barley rises on the dipstick between olm changes.

Originally Posted by Brian553

do it.

Dumb advice when was the knowledge lost 30 grades shear into 20 grades?

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Honda specs a 0w20 for this. Therefore, you could probably go 6,000 miles on an oil change and SuperTech 5w30 would still be in the "20" weight visc range. You can get as low as about 7 before any concern with this engine.
I didn't know SuperTech syn has titanium, nice. Valvoline, Castrol, and Kendall use it too. AW and FM as far as what I've read about it.

From some older research I have done, I thought I saw engine /turbo builders that have their motors and turbos beat on, want 8 to 9 to be the minimum for viscosity. I guess with a Hyundai turbo I thrash on and Hyundai having a boundary layer oil problem for the last 8 years, I would side on the 8-9? Hyundai has gone to the point of posting a TSB stating all 2.0 T motors are NOW speced to have 5w-40 oil full time, up from 5-30. Hyundai turbos come with 5-30 and in the manual states 5-40 is ok if 5-30 is not available. Now they put out the TSB because of their rod bearing boundary layer issue they can't seem to fix.

Lets face it, there is nothing that you are going to do about the fuel dilution so just stick to the recommended change intervals.
Its pointless to change out the oil early because of fuel dilution, as soon as you start the vehicle with the new oil you once again have fuel dilution in the new oil.

If in fact your oil smelled like fuel, I suspect you took the oil sample wrong.

An oil sample is supposed to be taken with the oil at full operating temperature which would typically mean well over 200 degrees.
Many are not aware of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back