Defender Ammunition

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to me ammo company. Veteran owned. I ordered some 9mm 124gr JHP to test out. Looks like it will be a good load for a home defense gun if you are worried about overpenetration.

https://www.defenderammunition.com

Would like to have seen a denim test as well, but...

What's with the little explosion inside the gel at time 2:36, then smoke coming out the entrance hole in the gel? I've never seen that happen in any gel test.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
What's with the little explosion inside the gel at time 2:36, then smoke coming out the entrance hole in the gel? I've never seen that happen in any gel test.

Dieseling.

Would be interesting to see a test using the full FBI testing protocol, especially since some separation happened in the gelatin only test, not sure what the result would be with denim in front of the block. Bullet design **appears** similar to the old Winchester Silvertips and a few others. The box in the video shows 1060 FPS, but their website shows 1120--not sure why the difference (perhaps test barrel length). Price is close enough to major manufacturers that it would not be a consideration for me, but always nice to have options.

Never heard of them.

1060 is slow. Should be 1125 to 1200 FPS.

What powder are they using? Is it premium flash suppressed powder? Do they, as a small company, even have access to premium, flash suppressed powder? Doubt it.

Are the primers sealed? Doubt it. Is the bullet sealed? Doubt it. Premium nickel plated cases? Nope.

Basement loads made by Larry's bullet emporium, should not be used for defense. These guys don't have any money for R&D and testing that the big guys do.

That's my opinion.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Never heard of them.

1060 is slow. Should be 1125 to 1200 FPS.

What powder are they using? Is it premium flash suppressed powder? Do they, as a small company, even have access to premium, flash suppressed powder? Doubt it.

Are the primers sealed? Doubt it. Is the bullet sealed? Doubt it. Premium nickel plated cases? Nope.

Basement loads made by Larry's bullet emporium, should not be used for defense. These guys don't have any money for R&D and testing that the big guys do.

That's my opinion.

Well, you know what they say about opinions.....

Anyway, I am sure the same was said about CorBon, Underwood, etc., when they were starting out.

And yes, you can buy flash suppressed powders. They use mainly Hogdon powders they told me in my chat session with them. They are keeping a lot of info close to the vest for now, which is understandable.

But I see you are threatened by them, which is to be expected from someone on Winchester's payroll. But Defender Ammunition is not claiming to be the Hammer of Thor, now are they?
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by bubbatime

Basement loads made by Larry's bullet emporium

Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Yesterday you were all in on 9BPLE and now going to bat for a little company selling reloaded ammo.

Originally Posted by hatt
Yesterday you were all in on 9BPLE and now going to bat for a little company selling reloaded ammo.

Always willing to try new products. Do you have a problem with that? Competition is good, no?

Is this the same bunch that pontificate on and on that Super Tech oil is just as good as the more expensive oils?

Besides, not everyone in the household is ready to carry +P+ ammo...

Originally Posted by Brigadier

Winchester and Federal both make lower cost white box standard pressure ammo. I wouldn't be equipping the inexperienced folks in your household with reloaded ammo from a small upstart company that you just heard about on the internet.

Winchester and Federal both make lower cost white box standard pressure ammo. I wouldn't be equipping the inexperienced folks in your household with reloaded ammo from a small upstart company that you just heard about on the internet.

But it is OK for you to use your own reloads for defensive carry?

I said I bought the ammo to try. Didn't say I was gonna use it for carry. And their ammo is not reloaded. It is new or remanufactured.

People on this board must be exhausted with always jumping to conclusions.

And their ammo is not reloaded. It is new or remanufactured.
How do you define those two words as it relates to ammunition?

But it is OK for you to use your own reloads for defensive carry?

I said I bought the ammo to try. Didn't say I was gonna use it for carry. And their ammo is not reloaded. It is new or remanufactured.

People on this board must be exhausted with always jumping to conclusions.

Yes. I trust my reloads 100%. I can see/control every process.

I saw huge red flags with their brass return option. Are they sorting headstamps? No idea how many times the brass has been loaded. Etc. Their reloaded stuff is range ammo only.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
And their ammo is not reloaded. It is new or remanufactured.
How do you define those two words as it relates to ammunition?

They explain it on their site. Maybe check it out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back