Is CR-V AWD really that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
As shown in this roller test, flat ground, the CR-Vs AWD is pretty much useless. It requires way too much wheel spin and wheel speed to engage. In real world conditions the best traction available is during the first attempt, before wheels start to spin excessively. Once the wheels spin excessively, they smooth out the surface and kick out pebbles, stones, twigs etc. that aid traction, and it becomes much more difficult to get out of a situation after that happens.
The CX-5 does notably better, but not that great either.

For comparison, here is the Tiguan vs Subaru Forrester. These two handle the situation how it should be handled for the most part.

Last edited:
Let me do that !
Sorry, back on track … That VW looks far better too …

Not a CRV fan, but does it have a AWD lock switch? The Subaru and the NIssan used to have that. I have an icy hill i have to go up to get to my log cabin, and the Nissan never let me down even not using the awd LOCK. Manytimes i had to disable TC on the subaru o get it to g anywhere - Back when they came with horrid OE tires.

OTW, its to help fuel mileage and promote better tire wear. My Nissan 2.5L ate tires and fuel. 23 MPG ave. Booo.

This isn't sticking up for the CR-V as they're among my least favorite in the category. And there are indeed better AWD systems however, as one reviewer(AoA)mentioned, this only applies if you drive your AWD in a roller factory.

Supposedly, Honda did a software update to the system.
At 6:30 in the video, Alex mentions the issue with the CR-V and the roller test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s-Nn9PbofY

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Char Baby
This isn't sticking up for the CR-V as they're among my least favorite in the category. And there are indeed better AWD systems however, as one reviewer(AoA)mentioned, this only applies if you drive your AWD in a roller factory.

At 6:30 in the video, Alex mentions the issue with the CR-V and the roller test.

Thanks for the video and I agree about the roller test to a point. The main thing in those tests that struck me is how much wheel spin Honda needs when compared to others. Tiguan and Subaru allow very little wheel spin in comparison, for the system to engage. In real world conditions, from my experience, this extra wheel spin translates to ruining whatever traction you might have had and thus making the job of getting unstuck even more difficult.

I wonder how bad the older models are. MIL has an '03 that she likes, and plans to replace with a new CRV--and will give us a good deal on it. But I'm wary that it's actually not a very good AWD system. Add in low mpg and low towing and it really does nothing for me.

At least the prior gen RAV4 (current one too?) has a hokie button on the dash to "lock in" the rear axle. It might not have a transfer case but in a sense it locks the center diff--something along those lines. Anyway. I liked the idea of that, and would entertain it, 'cuz once underway a FWD setup just doesn't need RWD--not for sedate driving, anyhow.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
OTW, its to help fuel mileage and promote better tire wear. My Nissan 2.5L ate tires and fuel. 23 MPG ave. Booo.

Exactly

You can choose between either better AWD capabilities OR fuel economy and tire life, but you cannot have both!
Despite performing worse as a "real AWD", Honda was far more intelligent in designing a vehicle with fuel economy and lower overall maintenance costs.

At the end of the day, that's what matters most to the majority of drivers.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, AWD is just fancy marketing jargon.
90% of drivers only NEED FWD/RWD with a decent set of snow tires.
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Originally Posted by Char Baby

Thanks for the video and I agree about the roller test to a point. The main thing in those tests that struck me is how much wheel spin Honda needs when compared to others. Tiguan and Subaru allow very little wheel spin in comparison, for the system to engage. In real world conditions, from my experience, this extra wheel spin translates to ruining whatever traction you might have had and thus making the job of getting unstuck even more difficult.

Absolutely, I agree!
TFLcar/ did their own snow traction test between the RAV-old & CR-V-new
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLiTZqcnxc4

Wife and I have a 2008 CR-V and I have always been pretty impressed with how well it goes. I do not use snow tires or winter tires on it either. Granted we do not get very much snow here but we have never had any issues and there are a lot of CR-V's running around here.

Last edited:
The Honda Real-Time 4WD system works differently. An oil pump engages the clutches in the rear diff if there's a speed difference between the rear wheels and the driveshaft from the PTO. VTM-4 did electronically engage as it saw fit, Honda used to offer it on the Pilot and Ridgeline, now it's an Acura-only system that took the SH-AWD name(and SH-AWD, is VTM-4 with torque vectoring).

Understood … many hear AWD and only think snow over roads … but I have enjoyed AWD to cross fast travelled wet intersections with no traffic light, or join fast freeways with short twisting ramps … and yeah, decent on the beach.
However I am drifting my way back to selectable but smart 4WD systems in the transfer case …
good old G80 locker still pushing

With those systems and some ground clearance … can get places trouble free these will not.
I also understand the flip side (don't flame me over Texas, heading back to Russia again soon) … that the heavy things I own and the big TLC's we drive overseas can not be driven like edyvw drives in snow/ice …

many AWD's are just a selling point that adds cost, take that away from the problematic + now anemic Subarus + they are toast. for much less 4 snow tyres on a FWD is better than almost all AWD vehicles with all season but winter tyres, not to mention AWD does NOTHING to stop in shorter distances in ice + snow!!! so in review buy 4 wheels of choice + get snow tires mounted on them + change as needed, it also gives many a real spare VS a doughnut or worse a can of fix-a-flat like many cars get today!! while working construction with my 2001 jetta with 4 snow tyres i passed struggling 4WD pickups as well with incorrect tyres for the season. pickups being normally RWD + being light in the rear need 4 WD + snow tyres as well IMO.

Tons of videos on YouTube of "AWD" drive cars with AWD systems better suited for marketing than actual AWD conditions. Subaru has a good AWD system. Then there are other car's systems. Some, if used too much, stick things into limp mode because they're designed for short use (traction taking off at a stop light for instance) and not for driving uphill on a muddy or icy road.

Some companies run decent systems on their higher end vehicles and pathetic AWD systems on their lower trims. If you're planning to buy, Google about it.

Originally Posted by benjy
many AWD's are just a selling point that adds cost, take that away from the problematic + now anemic Subarus + they are toast. for much less 4 snow tyres on a FWD is better than almost all AWD vehicles with all season but winter tyres, not to mention AWD does NOTHING to stop in shorter distances in ice + snow!!! so in review buy 4 wheels of choice + get snow tires mounted on them + change as needed, it also gives many a real spare VS a doughnut or worse a can of fix-a-flat like many cars get today!! while working construction with my 2001 jetta with 4 snow tyres i passed struggling 4WD pickups as well with incorrect tyres for the season. pickups being normally RWD + being light in the rear need 4 WD + snow tyres as well IMO.

So don't buy one then. Some of us want and appreciate their value.

Periods do help.

Originally Posted by nthach
IMO, you can't beat Subaru AWD for the hoi polloi. Audi quattro is good as well.

The AWD used on the GC and Durango is also excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back