Autel MX 1-Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knowing anyone who owns an Autel tool, like a MaxiSYS 906TS, has anyone used Autel's newest programmable TPMS sensor, the MX 1-Sensor? You know, something like this:
[Linked Image]

We recently used a set of those on a set of winter rims and tires for a customer's 2013 Honda CR-V back in the shop I worked with. To make a long story short, the Schrader EZ-Sensor 33500s with rubber snap-in stems and aftermarket steel rims couldn't get along with the SUV when they were travelling at highway speeds (100 km/h or 60 mph), even though they were fine on city streets, and we never had any problems with other vehicles serviced with the Schrader EZ-Sensor. Two comebacks later, I realized Honda's TPMS was a pain to work with, based on how picky they are when it comes to a selection of wheels. The tire equipment vendor we worked with didn't have aluminum clamp-in stems for the EZ-Sensors, so we went with the Autel MX 1-Sensors with aluminum clamp-ins, already programmed by the vendor's MaxiTPMS TS508. After four sensor swaps, an OBD relearn (with a Bartec Tech 400SD), tire deflation and re-inflation, and a short drive to make sure the warning light was out for good, the Autels worked great and I haven't seen another comeback ever since.

As a technician who works with any Autel MaxiTPMS tool, what was your experience with these sensors?

Great Question!
I too would like to know more about aftermarket TPMS sensors.

Which brands are good compared to OE?
Which brands/model are/are not compatible with the vehicle?
Do they last as long w/o battery replacements?
Which ones completely fail more quickly, requiring full replacement of the unit?
Etc.

Last edited:
Was it really necessary to use Bartec Tech 400SD to relearn the sensors to ODBII? Doesn't the MaxiTPMS TS508 scanner have the ability to relearn TPMS sensors to ODBII?

The reason I ask is because I am looking to buy a MaxiTPMS and was looking at the TS508 because it says you can relearn the sensors to the PCM / OBDII.

Last edited:
You can buy the sensors on eBay pre-programmed by the seller. Just tell them what kind of car you have and/or the VIN
smile.gif

Originally Posted by diyjake
Was it really necessary to use Bartec Tech 400SD to relearn the sensors to ODBII? Doesn't the MaxiTPMS TS508 scanner have the ability to relearn TPMS sensors to ODBII?

The reason I ask is because I am looking to buy a MaxiTPMS and was looking at the TS508 because it says you can relearn the sensors to the PCM / OBDII.

At the time of the service, the TS508 that programmed the sensors wasn't ours. It belonged to the vendor. Once the MX-Sensors are programmed, they can be triggered with any activation tool, Bartec and Autel included.

Yes. With a TS508, it is capable of doing any relearn (stationary, auto-relearn, and OBD). But to take advantage of those capabilities if you have a TS508, have it registered and updated. Plus with free software updates for the lifetime of the tool, you don't have to worry about subscription fees.

It's hard to say which aftermarket companies are good as the OEMs. I know Schrader, Huf, and VDO/Continental are OE manufacturers catering to the aftermarket. As for vehicle coverage, not all are 100% covered. Schrader's multi-band EZ-Sensor covers 96%, while Autel's MX-Sensor covers 98%.

As for battery life, any TPMS sensor lasts between 5 to 10 years on average. Once the battery dies, the entire sensor is replaced. And as for which ones who fail prematurely, that is hard to say.

We use the autel maxi sensor at work. We also have the ts-508 tool. The 508 will do obd-2 relearns on most Chevy Ford dodge Honda Toyota vw cars. Can be finicky on BMW and Mercedes. Does all Hyundai and Kia. Very easy tool to use and the sensor work great. Best purchase the bossman has made in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back