ACDelco PF63E cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil in my truck today. This was put in at 2,000 miles and drained today at 5,500 miles. 3,500 on this filter. Oil was PP 0W-20. Put back in PP 0W-20 and another PF63E.

I plan on running this one out till the OLM tells me to change it. With the rate this one was going, should be right before (or at) 6,000 miles. I'm also going to do an UOA on the next drain. The engine should have around 11,000 miles at that point.

I'm very happy with how this filter looks. No complaints at all.

The dirt specs are from my dirty old baking tray I stole from the kitchen and have hijacked in the garage now. Shhhhhh
wink.gif

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nitrile ADBV, they are cheaping-out on us. At least no hole in that E-core. Always found it strange an ACDelco PF63E has that two-layer metal "shelf" around the outlet like that. .................
Do that nice Silverado a favor and use the better Wix WL10255 or the napaGold equivalent. Filters better, silicone ADBV, never had any holes reported in it, compared to ACDelcos which sometimes have holes.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this filter. A materials bias? OK, i understand some don't like ecore. But the build quality and how it held up? No issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Something weird with those seam pleats, that angle from top to bottom isn't good. Hopefully not torn?

It seems like it got off when glued. There is no torn media at all on the inside. I was worried at first when I saw it, but it seems ok.

Glad to see the eCore filter makers know how to make a center core these days.

Originally Posted by GM4LIFE
Why not go with the Fram Ultra? Thats a much better filter internal wise.
True, normally.. On GM engines made in the last 5 years, GM has been strongly suggesting you need a bypass pressure threshold around 22 psi. The https://www.fram.com/parts-search/XG10575/ Ultra PF63E cross-reference is still listed as starting to open at 16 psi, so its too low. ....

We have speculated that this is only a problem in cold weather, as in around 20F or lower, when the oil is super thick and the oil filter on startup gets a pressure spike that dislodges junk on the dirty side of the oil filter to wash directly into the enigne. I can only estimate this won't be a problem with a low-bypass Ultra in non-freezing temperatures. Safer to use the Wix or NapaGold oil filter which cross references to the PF63E, since Wix has the correct bypass pressure.

GM's TSB on the whole filter bypass pressure issue explained their use of a newer pressure control system (sensor placement) that caused them to worry about washing junk into the engine thru popped bypass valves.

In your last pic you can clearly see through the cage that the pleats are bowing/stressed, I cant believe there sending that kind of pressure through a escrap. Good luck! I wouldn't run that filter longer then 3k.

Always found it strange an ACDelco PF63E has that two-layer metal "shelf" around the outlet like that. ...
Assume reference to auxiliary baseplate over other main plate. When Champ added it, said used to make installation easier on blind/hard to see engine mounting stud applications. That as opposed to non beveled raised thread boss on filter, without extra plate. The latter similar to that currently used on Fram 7317/4386 series filters. At least that's how Champ explained it.

Topic filter looks ok. Uses GM ACDelco separate poppet bypass type as opposed to combo valve used on equivalent non ACDelco ecore filters like Super Tech.

Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by GM4LIFE
Why not go with the Fram Ultra? Thats a much better filter internal wise.
True, normally.. On GM engines made in the last 5 years, GM has been strongly suggesting you need a bypass pressure threshold around 22 psi. The https://www.fram.com/parts-search/XG10575/ Ultra PF63E cross-reference is still listed as starting to open at 16 psi, so its too low. ....

We have speculated that this is only a problem in cold weather, as in around 20F or lower, when the oil is super thick and the oil filter on startup gets a pressure spike that dislodges junk on the dirty side of the oil filter to wash directly into the enigne. I can only estimate this won't be a problem with a low-bypass Ultra in non-freezing temperatures. Safer to use the Wix or NapaGold oil filter which cross references to the PF63E, since Wix has the correct bypass pressure.

GM's TSB on the whole filter bypass pressure issue explained their use of a newer pressure control system (sensor placement) that caused them to worry about washing junk into the engine thru popped bypass valves.

Yep, the actual delta-p vs oil viscosity & flow is a big part of what determines the bypass valve opening pressure. It could also be that the AC Delco filters are a bit flow restrictive which makes the delta-p higher, so therefore the bypass valve also needs to be set higher.

What then happens is that particular design point on just AC Delco filters then "defines" what all aftermarket filter bypass valves "need to be set to" ... even though there is no actual "flow vs delta-p" data to confirm or deny that is actually required for every other filter brand made for that specific engine application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back