2010 F-150 5.4 3V- Issues imminent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purchased this truck back in December and overall really like it. However, shortly after taking ownership; I've noticed some odd noises coming from the engine bay. The first is a cold start tick that has a similar sound to a dry start, lasts a second or two. I am running a motorcraft filter and swapped it with another; noise still there.

Second noise i've noticed is a "hot idle knock" after I start the truck when i've been running it for a bit. The noise subsides after a few minutes or so. Also in general, the idle of the truck isn't very "smooth". I can feel vibration through the steering wheel pretty much anytime it's idling.

From what i've read, many people point to the cam phasers. The fix is all over the map though, from phasers to a new motor. I tried 0w40 based on the potential issue of not enough oil pressure; no change. Does anyone have experience with these? Do you think more serious issues are imminent? The truck runs fine and seems to have ample power. Sitting at 100K right now and thankfully I do have a warranty up until 121K.

Check your hot oil pressure. It needs a minimum of 25-30 psi to operate the cam timing. The issue is likely the phasers however depending on how extended the tensioners are will determine if you need a chain kit with the guides, sprockets and new tensioners. I suspect the seals on the tensioner(s) are worn and it takes a few seconds to build oil pressure in them to quiet the engine down. It's really not a bad job. It will require removal of the timing cover and valve covers.

Your cold start tick (which I assume goes away when warm) is likely an exhaust manifold. Not a fun job.

Last edited:
Put some thicker oil in it at least 5 w 30, 10 w 30 would be better.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by mattd
Check your hot oil pressure. It needs a minimum of 25-30 psi to operate the cam timing. The issue is likely the phasers however depending on how extended the tensioners are will determine if you need a chain kit with the guides, sprockets and new tensioners. I suspect the seals on the tensioner(s) are worn and it takes a few seconds to build oil pressure in them to quiet the engine down. It's really not a bad job. It will require removal of the timing cover and valve covers.

Your cold start tick (which I assume goes away when warm) is likely an exhaust manifold. Not a fun job.

I may just take it in since it's under warranty if that's the possible culprit!

andyd, it has 0w40 in it now
smile.gif

How long does the tick last for? Manifold ticks will usually clear up in a few minutes or so depending how big the leak is. If it lasts only a few seconds it's not an exhaust manifold. Probably related to the chain rattle on start up if it coincides with that

Last edited:
Originally Posted by andyd
Put some thicker oil in it at least 5 w 30, 10 w 30 would be better.
grin2.gif

10w-40 is Fords recommendation for noisy cam phasers [what ever Ford calls them}

I'd twist their arm to get your spark plugs changed too. You will not believe what a nightmare that can be. Change them fairly often, or you might not get them back out.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
I'd twist their arm to get your spark plugs changed too. You will not believe what a nightmare that can be. Change them fairly often, or you might not get them back out.

The 2009-10 5.4's have revised plugs/heads. No problems with the new design.

It sounds like your timing chain is loose. The tensioners are plastic with a captured O-Ring. This seal tends to blow out, leaking pressure.

The real fix is to replace everything from the oil pump, to the timing chain/tensioners/actuators to the phasers with 100% Ford parts and get another 100K from it. Don't bother with aftermarket phasers they don't hold up. The Melling high volume oil pump is excellent.

It's good to note that the OEM oil pump tends to leak oil from the backing plate and the leaky chain tensioners reduce oil flow to the heads even more. Unfortunately, some owners find a wiped out camshaft, due to lack of oil at the head.

10W-40 is the dealership fix. The real fix is mechanical.

In my case, I'm currently using 10W-30 M1 high mileage. It's reduced the cam phaser noise (which has been there since new) and so on. But it has not reduced the initial start roughness that is due to loose chains due to faulty tensioners.

How long does the tick last for? Manifold ticks will usually clear up in a few minutes or so depending how big the leak is. If it lasts only a few seconds it's not an exhaust manifold. Probably related to the chain rattle on start up if it coincides with that

Only 1-2 seconds, so I guess that would be timing chain.

Doublewasp, actually changed the plugs when i got the truck. Wasn't a bad job at all with the revised heads/plugs.

Sounds like I should take advantage of the warranty and bring it to Ford. The only difference is I will supply the Melling high volume pump. Thanks for all of the feedback, had a feeling it wouldn't be easy!

Well it happened...something anyways. On my way to work on Wednesday, suddenly a loud ticking/tapping sound accompanied with a loss of power and detonation on the highway. Took it to Ford the same day, still waiting on some news. Will post an update

Just wondering, what kind of warranty do you have on a almost 10 year old vehicle? Hope you get it sorted.

Originally Posted by Hootbro
Just wondering, what kind of warranty do you have on a almost 10 year old vehicle? Hope you get it sorted.

It's a drivetrain only warranty; covers all lubricated parts and any motor/trans/driveline parts.

Originally Posted by panthermike

It's a drivetrain only warranty; covers all lubricated parts and any motor/trans/driveline parts.

If it is a third party warranty, just be careful as they may want to sub aftermarket parts for repair and not pay for OEM parts.

If it is a third party warranty, just be careful as they may want to sub aftermarket parts for repair and not pay for OEM parts.

Thanks for the heads up, I will keep an eye out for that. I know they can be a pain to deal with sometimes.

Well it happened...something anyways. On my way to work on Wednesday, suddenly a loud ticking/tapping sound accompanied with a loss of power and detonation on the highway. Took it to Ford the same day, still waiting on some news. Will post an update

Any update?

Originally Posted by The Critic

Any update?

Yes, just got one yesterday; It does need a new motor. So the service advisor has started the warranty process. He expects that it will take a day for the adjuster to come out and then they have to get auth for the repairs.

He did mention that sometimes they want to use aftermarket parts. Is there anything I can do to get them to use OEM if that's the case?

I guess I will rain on your parade some more. They may have contract language that also allows them to put in a like mileage junkyard motor instead of a reman.

I was in a similar situation many years back and fought using aftermarket parts. Compromise reached was I paid out of pocket the difference between the cost of OEM and aftermarket. Then again I was not looking at the big spread of a junk yard motor cost and a reman.

Wish you luck.

I may just take it in since it's under warranty if that's the possible culprit!

andyd, it has 0w40 in it now
smile.gif

Were it mine & since it is still under warranty , yes , take it in . But , before you do , make a written laundry list of EVERYTHING that needs attention / investigation .

And be prepared to pay for things that are not covered under warranty .

Best of luck to you , :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back